• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Blade Runner - The Deep Cut

If you have watched this fanedit, please rate it here:

• 10 stars (awesome)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 9 stars

• 8 stars

• 7 stars

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • 6 stars (average)

• 5 stars

• 4 stars

• 3 stars

• 2 stars

• 1 star (atrocious)

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.

deepstructure

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original film name: Blade Runner - The Final Cut
New film name: Blade Runner - The Deep Cut
Film studio name: Warner Bros
Edit crew name: deepstructure
Date original film was released: 1982
Date edit was released: November 2009
Original runtime: 117 minutes
New runtime: 74 minutes
Amount of time cut/added: 43 minutes cut

Changes:
- Overall made pacing tightening changes to all scenes in order to change the languid slow pace of the dialog and scenes. Removed any scene or shot that didn't directly contribute to moving the story along - with specific focus on the plot and drive of the narrative instead of character or atmospheric enhancers. This included almost all the transition scenes.

Highlights:
- Cut opening and changed score music (substituted End Titles score that has some rhythm and pace) in order to create a more exciting opening that more quickly kick-starts the film.
- Fun frankenstein shot: Leon's VK scene; created a new shot with picture from Leon standing in front of Holden (that part of opening boom shot cut), using wildline dialog of Leon saying "Sure," in response to Holden saying, "Reaction time is a factor..." Needed a cutaway from Holden to be able to skip the opening non-VK preamble and cut right to the testing. You can't tell that Leon isn't sitting down. And in the original shot he never says anything, but does slightly nod his head and move his mouth, so dropping in the dialog worked like a charm.
- Re-arranged sequences in order to show the parallel actions within the film. For example, Deckard brings Rachel up an elevator into his apartment while Sebastian does the same with Pris. Also, Deckard and Batty both deal with hand issues and pain in parallel in the end sequence. Also re-arranged sequences to make more narrative sense/flow. So now when Roy interrogates Chu and finds out about Sebastian, the next scene is Sebastian arriving at his house and discovering Pris.
- Removed the entire photo-enhancement scene. I never understood the motivation for this. It's interminably long and not very pertinent. Deckard already knows what Zhora looks like (from the video in his meeting with Bryant). He should have copious photos and documentation on all the replicants. The tattoo is no disguise and even when he finds her he verifies using the snake scale. The detective work that enables him to find her is the snake scale, not the photo. When he interviews the snake merchant, it's impossible to really hear who he says bought the snake - so one could easily assume he said Zhora. So cutting right to him staking out her room backstage makes sense.
- Removed Deckard calling Rachel and seeing her after the Zhora kill. None of this made sense to me and the reveal of her shooting Leon seems far more shocking if we haven't seen her, but only heard from Bryant that she's gone awol. Why would Deckard call her to come to a bar while he's in the middle of hunting dangerous replicants that have slaughtered 23 people? And it's the future, but no one has a cell-phone? He uses a video payphone!
- Added chase music score to the Zhora chase, and repeated the same music when Roy chases Deckard in the end game. I liked the poetry of the same motif that originally represented him as the hunter being turned around. Plus I felt both scenes could use more energy.
- Occasionally added extra thunder sound fx to help underscore a scene or sell a transition.
- Removed the repeated voice-over of Gaff saying "To bad she won't live," when Deckard stares at the origami unicorn at the end.

Intention for this fanedit: To remove any extraneous material and create a more focused and streamlined narrative. I've always felt the original(s) ran far to long and moved far too slowly.

Software used:
- Final Cut 7
- MacTheRipper
- MPEG Streamclip

Release info:
H.264 Quicktime movie
854x480
1.7GB

There is a torrent available on piratebay for the film. Just google "blade runner deep cut".

I also have a post up on my blog about the making of this edit: http://deep-structure.blogspot.com/2009/11/blade-runner-deep-cut.html

i've loved the idea of an action cut of blade runner for a long time and look forward to watching this, kerr :)

Ooooh, and it is even well seeded. Downloading now, and thinking I'll see this soon. I always complain movies are too long, and always interested to see even beloved movies paced faster.

moved to "Firstlings".
Also this needs to be uploaded to a file hosting service (like Rapidshare or Megaupload).

I have my reservations, but sure - why not - I'll give it a go.

EDIT: Who did this edit? Is it really Kerr? I'm thinking not. BTW - it's a .MOV download.

looks to me like he copy/pasted the FE info and kerr remained. I don't think it can be kerr.
Kerr is busy with LOTR, he always releases as avi, then DVD via RS. This here is a .mov torrent.

Impressive work. Just watched it, and it surely belongs in the True Fanedit section of FE.org. Very astute cutting by deepstructure, and i was actually amazed at how well the story developed, and honestly didn't miss the cut-scenes that much - although i knew they weren't there. Surprising how cutting out the photo-scene in Deckard's apartment didn't actually detract from Ford's detective work.

In conclusion, another excellent cut of an excellent movie, and an original one at that - the current craze had been to incorporate the deleted scenes back into the picture, but someone comes along and chops a considerable amount out, still leaving a very good, and far pacier, movie in it's place.

There were a couple of slightly harsh cuts (Rachel leaving Deckard's apartment the first time around jumps to Sebastian arriving at his with Pris, for example), but nothing too obvious or distracting. Excellent video quality and very good audio - the mixing of more energetic music in a couple of scenes was very well done indeed.

The die-hard BR fan in me gives it a 10 out of ten; the fanedit "critic" gives it a 9. Which averages out to a 9,5 i guess.

Definitely a must-see fanedit.

Different runtime on the torrent.

AvP said:
Different runtime on the torrent.

Yeah, in the opening screen it says the movie runs 68 minutes, but it actually lasts 74, with end titles included.

Im uploading this to RS so it can go on FE.

I like my BR slow and atmospheric (almost a blues/jazz movie to me), but I'm interested in this edit. :)

lol... i just now realized that kerr did not post this. funny!

Whoops! My apologies. Yes I did copy and paste from a fanedit entry because I couldn't find the information required anywhere else. Forgot to take out that entry. My name is Christopher Stack and I edited the 'Deep Cut' version. Sorry for any confusion.

And yes, the torrent lists a different running time because it doesn't include the credits (which is why I didn't call it TRT). Again I apologize for any confusion. Realized when I discovered this site that I should have been more specific in my terms.

I've uploaded the file to megaupload.

Thanks for the feedback. Much appreciated.

Cheers
Christopher

This sounds like a fantastic idea.

Any chance of a DVD release?

I've made a DVD of it. I guess I can put the files for that up somewhere? New to all this so what's the protocol? I created the dvd in mac DVDStudioPro. It has a main menu and 34 chapters. The rip was pretty good so it looks great on an HDTV.

Not sure how I'd export the files for a DVD burn kit...

If anyone can point me to some information on it I'll put those files up too, if I can figure where to put 'em.

Well you can upload that to megaupload or rapidshare.
I personally prefer megaupload (faster speeds and resume downloads with a free membership)

If you already have a DVD created, you should have an AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS folder with all the DVD files (vobs, bups, etc.)
Just archive those folders in 100mb or 200mb parts (I prefer 100mb) using rar or zip.
But since you're on a mac, I'm not sure which options are available for arciving.

edit: I got your MegaUpload link. I can't download it though because it's a 1.6 gb file and only premium users can download files over 1gb.
On rapidshare, the limit is 200mb. Free users can't download files bigger than 200mb from RS.

Oh, and I just found a link to get MacRAR http://files.5star-network.com/Mac/Util ... 51.sit.hqx

Thanks for that info. I"ll look into breaking up the files into manageable chunks and uploading them.

Any chance of an Xvid version to save on the downloads? Use AutoGK.

I already got the torrent done and I'm currently making an avi with MediaCoder.

If all goes well, it should be up by tomorrow evening.

Looks like it will end up being about 900mb.

The .mov file, it seems, has pcm audio, with black bars on top and bottom.
I kept the same video bitrate, about 1600Kbps with 160 kbps AC3 audio.

I was about 25% done encoding, but have just restarted it, since I decided to crop out the black bars.

white43 said:
Any chance of an Xvid version to save on the downloads? Use AutoGK.

700mb on RS and the original mov file.

Back
Top Bottom