If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot. More details on our policies, especially our Own the Source rule are available here. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.

January 2019 FEOTM - Every month we ask the community to vote on their Favorite Fanedit of the Month. To view the nominees and vote visit this thread.

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)
Hmmm...
A purveyor and connoisseur of quality edits for thirty seven years.

Working on my first booze drenched hard rocking edit intended for public consumption.

Cut to Zeppelin (Sharp Objects: Shorter, Faster, and Harder)
(02-15-2019, 03:12 AM)ArtisDead Wrote: Hmmm...

Never seen that flick. How was it?
"See the turtle of enormous girth, on his shell he holds the Earth. His thought is slow, but always kind. He holds us all within his mind. On his back all vows are made; he sees the truth but mayn't aid. He loves the land and loves the sea, and even loves a child like me."
(02-15-2019, 04:39 PM)Neglify Wrote:

Full title is Je M’appelle Hmmm. I can’t speak for ArtisDead, but I didn’t  think it was as very good. 

[Image: v1.bTsxMTE4ODIzODtqOzE4MDM5OzEyMDA7Mjg0OzQwNQ]
(02-15-2019, 04:39 PM)Neglify Wrote:

I hear it was hard to pin down.
(02-15-2019, 04:55 PM)Moe_Syzlak Wrote: I didn’t  think it was as very good. 

[Image: giphy.gif]
Two BBC 16mm films by Peter Watkins on the same BFI blu-ray:

Culloden (1964)
The 1746 Battle of Culloden and the subsequent massacre shot as if it was a modern (60s) news report from a hellish warzone. It was a stroke of genius to use interviews to camera, hand held footage in the thick of battle and "war reporters" on the front-line (holding telescopes so they resemble telephoto camera lenses). It brings history to life so vividly and portrays the event as a miserable and senseless slaughter, instigated by reckless and incompetent noblemen who squander the lives of the poor without a thought.

The War Game (1965)
Peter Watkins' follow up to 'Culloden' was suppressed by BBC under pressure from the then Government for 20-years. The Drama-Documentary imagines and explains in cold detail exactly how everybody in Britain would be totally f**ked if there was ever a Nuclear attack. It was feared that had the broadcast gone ahead it would have turned public opinion against Nuclear weapons and would have resulted in mass suicides in the event of the bomb being dropped.

I'm very impressed with the counter-cultural passion and anger of these two Watkins films. I will have to check out his other work like an Edvard Munch biopic and the controversial 'Punishment Park'.
When Harry Met Sally
Been watching a lot of Rob Reiner's films lately, boy did he have a great run from 84 to 92. This is easily the best rom-com to come along post-Annie Hall for me, the missus wanted a 'chick flick for Valentine's Day and I never tire of this. Went to Katz deli and sat at 'The Table' a few years ago...

Geostorm
Being brought up on shoddy disaster pics like Meteor I had fun with this it's enjoyably bad which can't be said for that awful Independence Day sequel Roland Emmerich gave us.
Raiders of the Lost Ark. 

Hadn't seen it in like 8 years.  It was as good as I remember.  I forgot how "modernized old timey" it feels,  and i loved the intentional obvious ADR. 8 out of 8 balls.