• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two BBC 16mm films by Peter Watkins on the same BFI blu-ray:

Culloden (1964)
The 1746 Battle of Culloden and the subsequent massacre shot as if it was a modern (60s) news report from a hellish warzone. It was a stroke of genius to use interviews to camera, hand held footage in the thick of battle and "war reporters" on the front-line (holding telescopes so they resemble telephoto camera lenses). It brings history to life so vividly and portrays the event as a miserable and senseless slaughter, instigated by reckless and incompetent noblemen who squander the lives of the poor without a thought.

The War Game (1965)
Peter Watkins' follow up to 'Culloden' was suppressed by BBC under pressure from the then Government for 20-years. The Drama-Documentary imagines and explains in cold detail exactly how everybody in Britain would be totally f**ked if there was ever a Nuclear attack. It was feared that had the broadcast gone ahead it would have turned public opinion against Nuclear weapons and would have resulted in mass suicides in the event of the bomb being dropped.

I'm very impressed with the counter-cultural passion and anger of these two Watkins films. I will have to check out his other work like an Edvard Munch biopic and the controversial 'Punishment Park'.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When Harry Met Sally
Been watching a lot of Rob Reiner's films lately, boy did he have a great run from 84 to 92. This is easily the best rom-com to come along post-Annie Hall for me, the missus wanted a 'chick flick for Valentine's Day and I never tire of this. Went to Katz deli and sat at 'The Table' a few years ago...

Geostorm
Being brought up on shoddy disaster pics like Meteor I had fun with this it's enjoyably bad which can't be said for that awful Independence Day sequel Roland Emmerich gave us.

Possessed

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Raiders of the Lost Ark. 

Hadn't seen it in like 8 years.  It was as good as I remember.  I forgot how "modernized old timey" it feels,  and i loved the intentional obvious ADR. 8 out of 8 balls.

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Highly impressed with this but it's a film on first viewing I admire more than love. The pace is glacial but it looks beautiful (Deakins of course) and all the performances especially Casey Affleck's are great. I watched the trailer after the film to see how they tried to market it and refreshingly the trailer is beautifully done and a good representation of the film.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford.

Highly impressed with this but it's a film on first viewing I admire more than love. The pace is glacial but it looks beautiful (Deakins of course) and all the performances especially Casey Affleck's are great. I watched the trailer after the film to see how they tried to market it and refreshingly the trailer is beautifully done and a good representation of the film.

I both admire and love that film.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched Darkman II: The Return of Durant last night. I actually loved it.

ArtisDead

Banned
Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's Something About Mary

The Farrelly Brothers struck comedic gold with this straight on hard hitting romp. They spare no one and cross every societal line in their effort to bring a laugh! Its soooo wrong and so hilarious! Pure genius!

Everyone was talking about it when it was released. It is loaded with some of the most memorable comedic moments in movie history.

At least three scenes are unforgettable. 

The zipper-if your a guy and you have ever done it you are not likely to forget it.

Stay away from the light- excellent improv from Matt Dillon. He'll take a bundt cake.

Hair gel- one of the most hilarious, off-the-wall things ever put in a movie. Who thinks of these things?

Oh yeah-Magda's boobs!

A must see!

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched a movie that a lot of people love and I can feel the online heat about to come my way (even though I actually like the movie).  This movie is admittedly quite delicious in its portent, but its messaging is confused at best and deeply troubling at worst.
And that movie is…
tumblr_mzgmbeVuXC1rlv62so6_500.gif

The Dark Knight

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cold Pursuit

A cut above Neeson's recent action offerings, like Bad Times at El Royale it's got a nice Taratino vibe running through it. Laura Dern pops up early on as Neeson's wife and then completely disappears from the film without mention which was kinda odd considering her prominence in the opening titles. I'm keen to watch the Stellan Skarsgard  version now for comparison. More like this please Mr Neeson

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Won't You Be My Neighbor (2018)

I've watched a lot of Mr. Rogers documentaries and it was nice to see one that looked beyond the obviousness of who he was and what he did. I liked that they integrated his team in the presentation, debunked misconceptions and analyzed somewhat controversial topics surrounding him. I didn't really care for how they represented his psyche via Daniel Tiger cartoon art. A good watch overall, but not quiet what the hype made it out to be. 7.5/10

Sinbad

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^ I've never even heard of Mr Rogers but the hype around this doc makes me tempted to watch it. Is it worth a watch for the uninitiated?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A couple days ago I watched the Batman Forever Virtual Worlprint fanedit. I downloaded it a while ago, but upon realizing that it wasn't much longer than the theatrical cut, I was turned off. Then I read further, and realized that it didn't just add deleted scenes  it also trimmed other things and whatnot. I forget exactly what I read was changed, and I certainly didn't notice while watching which scenes were added. But I enjoyed it. I think Jim Carrey's Riddler has grown on me, though I'm still not big on Tommy Lee Jones' Two Face. The plot itself I really dig though. I want to make my own edit of this film sometime.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sinbad said:
^ I've never even heard of Mr Rogers but the hype around this doc makes me tempted to watch it. Is it worth a watch for the uninitiated?

I'd recommend watching some Mr. Rogers Neighborhood before seeing it. It's definitely for the initiated.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
I watched a movie that a lot of people love and I can feel the online heat about to come my way (even though I actually like the movie).  This movie is admittedly quite delicious in its portent, but its messaging is confused at best and deeply troubling at worst.
And that movie is…
tumblr_mzgmbeVuXC1rlv62so6_500.gif

The Dark Knight

The Nolanverse is shit. There, I said it.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
The Nolanverse is $#!+. There, I said it.

It's the universe you deserve,  but not the one you need right now.  ;)

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CHiPS (2018) While the 70s tv series was formulaic mindless television, it was still millions of miles better than this piece of garbage.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Knock knock"
"Who's there?"
"Erik Estrada"
"Erik Estrada who?"
"Erik Estrada, from Chips."

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Animal House

Should've been titled "Asshole House".

4/10

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
That's a fantastic review.

I've somehow never seen more than a few clips from Animal House.

Top Bottom