• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

David Lynch's DUNE: The Third Stage Edition

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
David Lynch's DUNE: The Third Stage Edition

What is it about? This is a special widescreen edit of David Lynch's DUNE that reintegrates footage from the Extended Cut, as well as some deleted scenes, while attempting to preserve Lynch's vision. Also, unfinished extended scenes have been fixed so eyes are digitally colored blue. The movie has been edited in such a way to preserve much of the sound and music of the theatrical cut, while incorporating Lynch's scenes from the Extended Cut. Removed are the unapproved prologue paintings, male narrator, and fake "constructed" scenes from the Extended Cut. Various drafts of the script have been used to put scenes in a logical order. Our intent was to make an extended cut of DUNE that treats Mr. Lynch with respect.

Original Film Name: DUNE
Film Studio Name: Universal
Date Film Was Released: December 1st, 1984
Date Re-Edit Was Released: September 11, 2008
Original Runtime:
137 min (Original Theatrical Release)
New Runtime:
177 min
Amount of Time Cut/Added:
-over 40 minutes of additional footage has been added to the theatrical cut.

Cuts Removed:
1. No shots from the Theatrical Cut have been removed.
2. Fake constructed scenes (such as Reverend Mother Mohiam's trip to Arrakis) from the Extended Cut are not reintegrated.
3. Redundant alternate takes from the Extended Cut are not reintegrated.
3. Added paintings from the Extended Cut are not reintegrated.
4. Male narrator from the Extended Cut is not reintegrated. Irulan narration only.
5. Music changes from the Extended Cut are not reintegrated or, at the very least, toned down.
6. Some trims or ambient sound effect changes have been made to the Extended Cut scenes in order to mesh properly with the Theatrical Cut.

Cuts Added/Extended:
1. Lynch scenes from the Extended Cut reintegrated.
2. Some deleted Lynch scenes have been reintegrated.

New Edits In This Version:
1. Eyes have been digitally colored blue in the added unfinished scenes from the Extended Cut and deleted scenes.
2. Scenes have been digitally cleaned (frame by frame) to minimize evident scratches and dirt.
3. Some music and sound effects have been added to accomodate transitions, rough deleted scenes, or to help scenes from the Extended Cut mesh properly with the Theatrical scenes.
4. Although the Extended Cut dialogue from the Guild Navigator is used, the Extended Cut music is toned down and the original Theatrical ambient sound effects have been recreated.
5. In the Extended Cut DVD, the background music is out of synch in the extended scene when Reverend Mother Helen Mohiam returns with her report to the Emporer. Audio from a television version (converted to 5.1 audio) has been used here so the music synchs properly.
6. The scene of the House Shield activating has been moved in order to accomodate the restored scene of Thufir talking to Leto about Duncan.
7. Some scenes (such as the worm drowning sequence) have been moved to more logical places in the film. Various drafts of the script have been used as a guide for certain scenes' chronology.

Fan Edit Details:
2.35:1 NTSC Anamorphic, 8000kbps, 448khz ac3 5.1 surround audio.

DVD Features:
1. Motion Menu
2. Chapter Menu
3. Supplement: Theatrical Trailers
4. Supplement: Enhanced Deleted Scenes
5. Supplement: Television Prologue (Widescreen)

Conceptual improvements/advancements of edit over original edit:
Basically, this edit extends the film while trying to preserve Lynch's vision.

Hardware and software information:
Vegas Video 7, VirtualDub MPEG-2, TMPGEnc, Adobe After Effects, MediaStudio Pro, Adobe Audition, Adobe Photoshop, DVDLab Pro2

Time needed for this editions release: One Year, One Month

PhineasBg and Nighthawks Fan Videos
present
DUNE - THIRD STAGE EDITION

Persons involved: PhineasBg (editor), OldBiff85 (Source Material and Creative Consultant). With kudos to Fanfiltration for some inspirations.

Looking forward to RS for this.

I'd love a copy on DVD. I'll review it and PIF to those interested.

Can anyone help? PM me.

Hey! Ofcourse you can review it. We would appreciate it very much as we value your opionion. Thanks

IM ME and I'll get you one.

Thanks, to all the people that have helped us on this project over the past year. Thanks

You know who you are!!!!

FanEdit Review by Molasar

Title/FanEditor: David Lynch's Dune: The Third Stage Edition by PhineasBg & Nighthawks

Prologue: I love Dune. Besides The Keep, being a fan of David Lynch's Dune has been tough over the years. I have read the book and watched the Sci-Fi Channel mini-series. They simply do not hold a candle to David Lynch's oft-maligned vision. The film is gorgeous to look at. Bob Ringwood's costumes are phenomenal in and of themselves - the still suits are one of the best costumes ever put on celluloid. Add to that the amazing set design, the awesome cinematography by Freddie Francis and the extraordinary effects work by Carlo Rambaldi and Albert Whitlock and you have a misunderstood masterpiece. I could care less that Lynch changed the story. I love every frame of the theatrical cut. I have seen the extended TV edition many times. It features more good things to see and hear but the cut was nonsensical. PhineasBg and Nighthawks have created something very special. Using the shooting draft of Lynch's screenplay (which I have read), they have reconstructed the film in a way that every Dune fan has to see.

The Edit: What's best about this fan edit is they rearranged the extended edition and added in the deleted scenes for a complete version of David Lynch's film. The cuts are seamless. The rearrangement of the scenes, compared to the confusing TV cut, is perfection. Everything is there. For those who want all the deleted scenes and the prologue - they're presented as Special Features. Nothing is lost. The only complaint I have is that the deleted scene footage is not very good - no fault of the faneditiors so there are no deductions. They have done the best they could. Their inclusion is not distracting because the editing and sound syncing is so well done. Biggest and best improvement -- the blue Fremen eyes added to the extended footage. Totally cool. This is my new version to watch when I give Dune a spin. Simply excellent. *****/*****

Image Quality: Besides the aforementioned deleted scene footage, everything else looks very good. Colors are rich and blacks are deep. I noticed some jaggies and moiré effects on striped areas, like Feyd's chest. Given these limitations, I still think fans will be very pleased with the video quality of this presentation. ****/*****

Audio Quality: Although the audio is listed as 5.1 surround, it really isn't. The sound field is center-heavy. I did not hear anything from my rears and no LFE whatsoever during the film. The audio is loud and clear, free from pops or hiss yet I can't help but wish that the sound field was wider and more enveloping. To be fair, the DVD special edition is not a great 5.1 soundtrack. It's not one I'd use to show off my system. It's just fine. ***.5/*****

The DVD: Static menus. Specials Features include deleted scenes and the prologue - for us "completists." ****.5/*****

Overall Rating: Simply the best version of Dune out there. A must for fans. ****.5/*****

Epilogue: Whenever Dune comes up in conversation, I will recommend that its detractors see this cut. They won't be able to deny that David Lynch's stunning epic is not as bad as they remember.

Molasar has spoken.

Reviewed using Sony 51" 16x9 RPTV with Oppo DVD player upconverting to 1080i via DVI and Onkyo 650 Watt 5.1 surround sound.

really great review and exactly why i totally adore both PhineasBG & Nighthawks and ADM's versions of the movie. you might wanna move it to the review section though.

due to the length a 3 disc conversion would of probably been better.

I was actually thinking that x264 would make a better HQ compressed rip. Maybe around 2-2.3 GB. Have never encoded to it before, but that was the plan. Xvid release for easy access to the whole film and an x264 encode for a sharper but larger encode.

x264 sounds great for a nice HQ rip and is a better way than just 3 discs.

A quick Review:
***i couldnt find a review of this film already so if there already is one i do appologise!***

The First Dune edit i ever watched was ADMs Reconstructed Workprint which i fell in love with. Dune is my second favorate film of all time. I grabbed the 3rd stage edition yesterday and started watching early this morning. After reading the Edit details of this cut i have to check it out, especially when i read about the blue eye restoration.

Editing:10/10
Editing wise i thought it was brilliant and well done. A lot of scenes were cut together very well.
Entertainment: 10/10
Of course being a Dune fan Entertainment wise i have to give it a full 10 out of 10! Especially some of the Deleted scenes which were put back in. There were scenes and snipets that wasnt included in ADMs version, which was a bonus and was nice to see. I also liked the way certain scenes had been moved around back into the right places which made this cut more enjoyable for me.

Audio and Image Quality: 10/10
Like ADMs Dune the deleted scenes drop in quality now and then and that dosent bother me in the slightest. Overall the picture and sound quality (to me) was brilliant.

Overall and Final Verdict:
I highly enjoyed watching this edit, it removed all the snags and nit picks that botherd me from the theatrical verison. I hate to say this but, this is a massive improvement over ADMs version (sorry mate hope you dont take that personaly bud) even though i like both versions Dune: 3rd stage edition will be my first choice to watch. So my final result for this edit is a ful 10/10

I've just watched this version after spending quite some time downloading it, and it is absolutely wonderful. the way things are fleshed out considerably using the extended cut and even the deleted scenes, it's excellent, it tells a far more complete vision of what David Lynch created. at three hours, it's the perfect length.

Did anyone else have trouble with the avi version, on my computer and downstairs media centre the audio appears to be delayed from the visual by about 1-2 seconds.

Was this something that was fixed recently because I got it a while back. If not I'll just get the dvd

Omaru1982 said:
Did anyone else have trouble with the avi version, on my computer and downstairs media centre the audio appears to be delayed from the visual by about 1-2 seconds.

Was this something that was fixed recently because I got it a while back. If not I'll just get the dvd

I didn't have any problems, but just download the DVD anyway. This one is a definite keeper.

I still haven't watched this, despite having downloaded it long ago. I'll have to get on that...

This may be my favorite cut of DUNE. I can't tell you how much I appreciate it. I'm going to be giving it some major props on my podcast when we have our DUNE episode.

Back
Top Bottom