• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

2016 movies!!!

Whatever Cameron, just give us an HD release of The Abyss. I don't want 3D or Blue Rabbits.

Gaith said:
Gaith said:
T2... 3D.

terminator-2-hd-screencapture-shotgun-movie-prop-171-750x360.jpg

October, worldwide!   :D

AWESOME!  Buuut... what's with the uniquely Beijing release?

Canon Editor said:
AWESOME!  Buuut... what's with the uniquely Beijing release?

Maybe it's a thank you for single-handedly making sure Genyiysyis didn't lose a hundred million bucks?

bionicbob said:
The second trailer for Legend of Tarzan has arrived, and this one has really increased my excitement as it seems to hit all the right notes in terms of the character's mythology....

Eh, looks pretty drab to me. :s

Mick Lasalle, The San Francisco Chronicle:

Some big ideas are also bad ideas, and there’s a big, bad one at the heart of “The Legend of Tarzan.” The idea was to take some of the true history of Congo, and its exploitation by the Belgians in the 19th century, and throw it together with the story of Tarzan. It makes for an awkward mix, for a movie that is both confusing and weirdly inert.

[...] In the end, what we have here is a Tarzan movie made by people who don’t understand the appeal of Tarzan. He’s about joy and abandon and the fantasy of living in harmony with creation. He’s not about the struggle in Congo. That’s a worthy subject, but for a different kind of movie.

Jim Vejvoda, IGN:

The Belgian-led holocaust in the Congo is essentially reduced to a backdrop in a live-action cartoon. The African characters aren't entirely without agency here, but this is Tarzan's show so guess who ends up the hero.

You can't help but leave the film suspecting the screenwriters really wanted to just tell a straightforward story about the Belgian atrocities in the Congo and the only way they could get that film made was by sticking Tarzan in it.

5.5/10

Neglify said:
NSFW Trailer for the new Lonely Island movie, "Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping." It's looks pretty ridiculous but funny. And OMG all the cameos and celebs they show off.

This was a really fun movie. 4 out of 5 balls.

bionicbob said:
As some of you may know, I am a hardcore Edgar Rice Burroughs fan.   I LOVED the movie John Carter.
I have watched almost every movie and tv incarnation of Tarzan, and I am still waiting for Hollywood to get it right...

...will this be the one????  ;)

@bionicbob I'm very curious to know what you think when you see this. I was at the theater today, looked at what all was showing and saw something I've never seen before. I am in San Francisco, CA, USA, at a major AMC multiplex and they had "Tarzan - subtitles Mandarin". This city has a healthy Asian population, so I'm thinking they're trying to broaden to a specific demographic there.

Neglify said:
bionicbob said:
As some of you may know, I am a hardcore Edgar Rice Burroughs fan.   I LOVED the movie John Carter.
I have watched almost every movie and tv incarnation of Tarzan, and I am still waiting for Hollywood to get it right...

...will this be the one????  ;)

@bionicbob I'm very curious to know what you think when you see this. I was at the theater today, looked at what all was showing and saw something I've never seen before. I am in San Francisco, CA, USA, at a major AMC multiplex and they had "Tarzan - subtitles Mandarin". This city has a healthy Asian population, so I'm thinking they're trying to broaden to a specific demographic there.

Well, if they are trying to broaden the demographic, I am not certain they succeeded.

While I enjoyed it, I do not think this movie will win over any new Tarzan fans.
Like Greystroke and The Lost City, they got some of the core elements right--Tarzan's origin, his romance with Jane, etc.
Skarsgard and Robbie were really good in the roles.
Jackson felt completely out of place to me
Waltz does his typical villain thing which felt a bit old to me.
But the attempt to retro-con/modernize Tarzan by tying him to real historic events was a big mistake imo. 
Also, making Tarzan a reluctant hero is such a tired and boring trope.  He is a HERO.  Let him be a HERO. 
More importantly, Tarzan is a FANTASY hero.   The Africa of the ERB novels is a fantasy world -- filled with lost empires, ruins of Atlantis, ancient mysteries, monsters, lost treasures, Roman legions, dinosaurs, high adventure, etc.... And this is the type of adventure movie I wanted to finally see brought to screen but I was disappointed....
I think the attempt to reconcile the fantasy Africa with the real Africa in this movie does not work... I am not saying it could not or should not be done, but if was, it needs to be more skilfully handled than it was in this movie.

Which makes me wonder if the movie we are seeing is the Director's vision or the studio's?  There was a lot of controversy that Yates was not as involved in the post-production as he was already working on the new Harry Potter movie, which may explain why the movie feels unfocused at times, the character moments skimmed over for the big action scenes... which may tie in to Neglify's original question about demographics, and how Hollywood Studios are now obsessed with the ever expanding Chinese movie market.

I wanted to love this movie, but I only liked it.   It is no where near as excellent adaptation as JOHN CARTER, a movie I still unabashedly love.  But there is a lot of great little moments scattered throughout it.  I would be curious if there many deleted character moment scenes on the dvd release, as it really felt that way while watching.   I think this is an excellent fan edit lurking in this movie.  But it is still a billion times better than THE LONE RANGER.... LOL.

Thanks for the review. I'll check it out when it hits Blu-ray.

bionicbob said:
More importantly, Tarzan is a FANTASY hero.   The Africa of the ERB novels is a fantasy world -- filled with lost empires, ruins of Atlantis, ancient mysteries, monsters, lost treasures, Roman legions, dinosaurs, high adventure, etc.... And this is the type of adventure movie I wanted to finally see brought to screen but I was disappointed....

I think the attempt to reconcile the fantasy Africa with the real Africa in this movie does not work...

It does indeed seem a very strange tack to take. It's as though they thought the best thing about The Mask of Zorro was its (actually very clever and subtle) foreshadowing of the California Gold Rush, and decided to amp that up to the nines, and make it the central focus. Granted, I guess this movie has been in some form of development for a decade, but even so, given the massive international success of Marvel's Thor, you'd think they'd want to focus on those fantastical aspects of the character instead. Then again, this is the studio that thought Zack Snyder was the best guy to launch their DC movies, so maybe this is another victim of the cult of Nolan/Snyder...

So, Bob, what do you think is the best Tarzan movie to date? It's George of the Jungle, isn't it?  :D

Gaith said:
So, Bob, what do you think is the best Tarzan movie to date? It's George of the Jungle, isn't it?  :D

Actually, that is a very funny and enjoyable movie. LOL

My top five personal fave Tarzan movies:

(I would probably put the recent LEGEND OF TARZAN at the number 6 spot... )

5. TARZAN AND HIS MATE (1934) I think is the best of the Weissmuller era.  While these movies are a vast departure from the novels, they are still highly entertaining to this very day.

4.  GREYSTOKE (1984)  this is half a fantastic Tarzan movie.   The first half, set during Tarzan's upbringing is the jungle is brilliant.  The ape costumes are outstanding.  But once the movie returns to England, I usually shut this movie off as I hate the direction it goes in.

3.  TARZAN AND THE VALLEY OF GOLD (1966)  Mike Henry makes an okay Tarzan, but what stands out for me is the plot involves a classic Tarzan trope of a lost city and the opening of the movie has a really cool James Bond inspired action sequence.

2.  Disney's TARZAN (sequels and tv series) are all very enjoyable, though once an again Jane is made English (she is American in the novels), but the tv cartoon touched on elements from the books.  

1. TARZAN'S GREATEST ADVENTURE (1959) and TARZAN THE MAGNIFICENT (1960) these alway tie for me, flip flopping back and forth for the top spot.  Gordon Scott is an impressive Tarzan, and these were the first two movies where Tarzan is closest to the books in terms of being fully articulate.

Though the most faithful onscreen adaptation of the Ape Man may be the Filmation animated cartoon TARZAN, LORD OF THE JUNGLE from 1976.  And thanks to the recent movie has finally been released on DVD.

Noteable mentions... both Joe Lara and Ron Ely played very good Tarzans on TV.   Though the Wolf Larson tv series was horrible and I pretend never happened.

I've never read any Tarzan and a single viewing of 1984's 'Greystoke' when I was a teen is probably the only Tarzan experience I've had (except for occasionally drinking in the pub at the gates to Tarzan's estate in Greystoke :D ). So I had no real expectation of what the new Tarzan movie should be like. I probably wasn't going to see until the reviews started saying that setting it against the backdrop of genocide in the Congo was a mistake. That's the bit that sounded interesting to me!

I gotta say I loved it!

Many reviews have complained about the continual flashbacks but I love films with unusual time structures. Slipping dreamlike back and forward in time is something you can only really do with film and here it really succeeds. The cast was all superb. The epic African location photography is stunning, contasting well with the grey depressing England set scenes. The pace is a slow deliberate build from start to finish. Beginning with Tarzan looking like he's litterally suffocating in strached Victorian dress (I wouldn't be surprised if the costme was deliberatly made a size to small to look constricting) in slow depressing England scenes. As soon as he gets to Africa the film statistically comes to life and by the end it's ramped up to full blown adventure action.

The only criticism was it being a 12A. The filmmakers clearly (rightly or wrongly) didn't want to make a children's film but the studio did. So it opens with a massacre, features several strangulations, fathers being executed in front of their families and other assorted violent deaths. But mostly we don't see it directly to keep the rating down. If they wanted to make an adult film they should have really gone for it because I can't imagine children enjoying this at all anyway.

TM2YC said:
I've never read any Tarzan and a single viewing of 1984's 'Greystoke' when I was a teen is probably the only Tarzan experience I've had (except for occasionally drinking in the pub at the gates to Tarzan's estate in Greystoke :D ). So I had no real expectation of what the new Tarzan movie should be like. I probably wasn't going to see until the reviews started saying that setting it against the backdrop of genocide in the Congo was a mistake. That's the bit that sounded interesting to me!

I gotta say I loved it!

I have seen the movie TWICE more!!! LOL!

After I was able to put my hope/expectations away (upon hearing Yates was directing I was really hoping for a more fantastical epic -- especially since Opar is such a key element of the Tarzan mythos), I thoroughly enjoyed the movie more and more on each subsequent viewing.

It is a great movie.  Far superior to what critics would lead.  I still have issues with how some the historical events were depicted and Jackson is a mixed blessing for me lol.  But Skarsgard and Robbie are perfect, and I would love to see them in a sequel.

I did not find this movie any more violent than many of the Tarzan movies of the 60s and 70s, and those were rated "G" back in the day... how times have changed.

Oooh I'm intrigued by how this new trailer looks...

...starring John Goodman as Francis Ford Coppola :D

This is looking very very good. Can't wait for it to Arrive :)

And as a bonus, the one or two of you doing BvS edits might crib some 'Lois Lane' shots from it  :p

DSM2337 said:
This is looking very very good. Can't wait for it to Arrive :)

That looks quite good. I wish they hadn't cast so many well-knowns though. Nothing against Adams, Renner, or Whitaker, but I just find these types of films far more effective when superstars aren't cast.

And here comes a trailer for "Rings":

Meh, looks pretty lame. Standard reboot stuff, dumb jump scares, typical j-horror for high school kids. I'll pass on that.

I went to see the new stop-motion (ish) film 'Kubu and the Two Strings' today.

I totally loved it :) . The stop-motion techniques and the fuedal Japanese setting (I love Samurai movies) were what really piqued my interest initially but the quality of the story-telling was what got me. It's full of magic, weirdness, beauty, terror and wonder. If you like fantasy films by Terry Gilliam, or Guillermo del Toro then you'll eat this up. It's a kids film that's about death, love and loss so it might not be for the very young. However there is enough humour, magical imagery and Samurai duels to keep anybody entertained. Animated film of the year for sure.

Back
Top Bottom