• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Scumbag Rapidshare

geminigod said:
Free or not free. Irrelevant.
Disagree. So RS used to be super awesome, and now they are just awesome. Maybe you used to get more than you paid for before, and less now than before, but still more than you pay for. Maybe they are worse than the competition, but they are beyter than nothing, which is what you are paying.

Hardly makes them "scumbag."

If it's free and in RS's case has a lot less restrictions than most other DDL providers for their non paying users, biting the hand that feeds (albeit slightly more slowly) is probably not the best course of action.

TV's Frink said:
Hardly makes them "scumbag."

I agree "scumbag" is inappropriate.

With MU gone the market has changed. RS is entirely within its right to try to capitalize on that market in whatever way they see fit. And I am entirely within my right to say that I don't like how RS runs its business so I am going to support a different company or start my own. That is free market at its best (minus the whole government shutting down the competition debacle).

Better than Hulu. I don't know if you guys remember but Hulu Plus now is what Hulu was about a year after launch. They never said they would charge for it, they just broke the site so you could only see most recent 5 episodes of some shows and none of some other shows, and started charging for the functional version, which is exactly what the free service used to be. And the paid version still has ads!

So they offer the good stuff for free, then take it away and sell you a worse version once you're "hooked". That's how crack dealers operate.
Also, digitally speaking, that's how you encourage piracy.

IMO, Rapidshare hasn't done anything remotely comparable. It's not worth getting mad about. If you don't like it, don't use it. Mediafire is better for now, use that.

Unfortunately Hulu is mimicking On Demand. Most cable providers only give you the latest 5 episodes for free then charge a couple bucks. Sucks, but that's the way Hollywood wants it.

RS DLs are an exercise in. . . patience. often the service will stop delivering in the middle of a file; pressing the download pause/resume button in firefox should let you resume the DL, but all that does is abort the DL completely. on a second and third try, the DL pauses at the exact point it did the last time. end result: no DL.

ssj said:
RS DLs are an exercise in. . . patience. often the service will stop delivering in the middle of a file; pressing the download pause/resume button in firefox should let you resume the DL, but all that does is abort the DL completely. on a second and third try, the DL pauses at the exact point it did the last time. end result: no DL.

I gave up on RS when they started limiting their free users to only 30 kb/s and saying that while it may look like the download has frozen, it in fact hasn't. I absolutely refuse to download from them anymore.

Regarding the "pause/resume" button in Firefox how does that work? Whenever I download from Megashares and the file(s) is/are bigger than the free user limit, which is 550 MB's per 2 hours, I just pop open jDownloader and use that to grab it/them. I've always worried that once I reach the file size limit that the download will stop and not allow me to continue again. What happens once you reach the file size limit while downloading through Firefox? Does the download window remain open and it's up to you to keep checking back, by hitting the start or whatever the button is called, to see if you can download again? Or does the download resume once the time limit has expired?

no. the DL freezes, and there's no way to thaw the sucker.

not that i'm complaining about the free use of RS, mind you. i positively love these obstacles!

You sir, are a sucker for punishment. :lol: I don't know why people are still using RS when there's tons of better file hosts out there.

must. . . remain. . . upbeat! :p (i do it for frink!)

but really, none of this RS BS will get my panties in a bunch, which would be amazingly horrible in warm weather. true suffering is living in pol pot's cambodia, or '90s balkans, or nazi germany, or syrian dungeons in the present, or suffering from a neurological disorder with no cure.

Perspective? On teh intertubes? Now I've seen everything! ;)

ssj said:
must. . . remain. . . upbeat! :p (i do it for frink!)

but really, none of this RS BS will get my panties in a bunch, which would be amazingly horrible in warm weather. true suffering is living in pol pot's cambodia, or '90s balkans, or nazi germany, or syrian dungeons in the present, or suffering from a neurological disorder with no cure.

Yes, but given the alternatives why would anyone stick by RS?

Frantic Canadian said:
Or any file locker for that matter? I'm going to newsgroups. They've been stable for 30+ years.

Frantic Canadian said:

Money.

^^
Does RS offer a rewards program which exchanges downloads for cash? Because I was referring to downloader, not uploaders.

what's the experience been so far with newsgroups? i know there's another thread for this, but i thought i'd ask.

and what are the pros and cons of using torrents, aside from having to stay online to seed? are there unwanted surveillance/tracking issues?

ssj said:
what's the experience been so far with newsgroups? i know there's another thread for this, but i thought i'd ask.

and what are the pros and cons of using torrents, aside from having to stay online to seed? are there unwanted surveillance/tracking issues?

Been using them for months and all is good.

Long as you're using peerblock/peerguardian with your torrents it's all good.

Back
Top Bottom