• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last Movie(s) You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

There should be a distinction between reviewers and critics.I think critics are valuable. But you’re right, they are looking at and for “art” (cinema as Scorsese might say) whereas the avaergae moviegoers are looking to know whether something is decent enough to turn off their brains for a couple of hours. I think both are valuable. I have no problem with the big CGI-fest stuff that tops the box office each week, but it’s not all there is. And, at the risk of sounding pretentious, it’s rarely the height of the art form. There’s room for both, but just because one side of the equation is more financially successful than the other doesn’t mean the other is valueless.

The problem with film critics today are that they think too much. The problem with moviegoers today are that they think too little.

There should be a distinction between reviewers and critics.
There probably should be, but nowadays especially, I really don't think there is. Whether it's Vulture, Buzzfeed, or Cineaste, the writers are really just writing about what they personally liked, rather than what they think the film will give to most people. Virtually anyone can do that. It takes more skill to see a film from a broader pov than only your own.
turn off their brains for a couple of hours
I have to say that I hate this common expression. It seems to me reductive and dismissive of people. I don't like to accuse people of not using their brains because they enjoy something that I don't. And I think it's also no easy feat to make something that is "just" entertainment for a broad audience. We see this all the time when big blockbusters flop, much less when "auteur" directors like a Jim Jarmusch or someone try to do a mass market film and fail. It's so easy to pretentiously claim the high road and say a filmmaker "isn't trying to make something that follows conventions" whenever people criticize their work for being obtuse or disconnected. It's easier to criticize someone like Spielberg than to actually try to do what he does.

There are for sure big blockbuster movies that I think are dumb and can't believe people like. But I refuse to hate on CG, superhero films, or popular cinema in general simply because it has widespread appeal and I'm attracted to more niche stuff. People can connect with different directors or styles (or anime!) or not connect with it, and it doesn't inherently make one person or their tastes better, more refined, or more accomplished. The film world is big enough for everyone to find different things to love equally.

The Channel was a different style robbery movie with Max Martini from The Unit, so you know it's good. Definitely in my Top 5 robbery movies with Inside Man, Heat, The Town, and Snatch.

There probably should be, but nowadays especially, I really don't think there is. Whether it's Vulture, Buzzfeed, or Cineaste, the writers are really just writing about what they personally liked, rather than what they think the film will give to most people. Virtually anyone can do that. It takes more skill to see a film from a broader pov than only your own.

I have to say that I hate this common expression. It seems to me reductive and dismissive of people. I don't like to accuse people of not using their brains because they enjoy something that I don't. And I think it's also no easy feat to make something that is "just" entertainment for a broad audience. We see this all the time when big blockbusters flop, much less when "auteur" directors like a Jim Jarmusch or someone try to do a mass market film and fail. It's so easy to pretentiously claim the high road and say a filmmaker "isn't trying to make something that follows conventions" whenever people criticize their work for being obtuse or disconnected. It's easier to criticize someone like Spielberg than to actually try to do what he does.

There are for sure big blockbuster movies that I think are dumb and can't believe people like. But I refuse to hate on CG, superhero films, or popular cinema in general simply because it has widespread appeal and I'm attracted to more niche stuff. People can connect with different directors or styles (or anime!) or not connect with it, and it doesn't inherently make one person or their tastes better, more refined, or more accomplished. The film world is big enough for everyone to find different things to love equally.
Uh, that’s not what I said. There are plenty of well made superhero movies that require thought. There are also plenty that don’t, purposefully so. It’s also not easy to make. There’s a reason Marvel movies use a very specific formula. It’s like an old shoe. It l fits easily and without much effort. The audience knows what it’s going to get and it generally gets it. But if that were easy to recreate every studio would. But they are made that way so audiences don’t have to do too much heavy lifting. It’s light entertainment. Nothing wrong with that at all. Making a movie that is easy to watch and doesn’t require much thought but is still entertaining isn’t “dumb” and it isn’t easy to make. Of course there are definitely movies that can be both. Barbie can be viewed as a very surface level entertainment or it can leave one with a lot to think about after. It’s not and either/or situation. And just as often there are films that aspire to be more and fail. But I don’t think the Super Mario Bros. Movie and Banshees of Inisherin should be viewed through the same lens. And, most likely, the best reviewer for one is not the best reviewer for the other.

Last edited:
Labor Day watch...

The Molly Maguires (1970)
Richard Harris stars opposite Sean Connery as the pair try out some dicey Irish accents in a prescient version of Point Break. Harris is the detective infiltrating a secret group of miner terrorists led by Connery... only in this one, the miners are basically fighting for human rights against giant, corrupt mining companies so the film loses points for not acknowledging Harris is just an outright villain.

And two short series I watched during my Japanese month...

Psycho-Pass 3 (2019) and the film PP: First Inspector (2020)
The movie is basically the last 3 episodes of the series given a slight animation boost. PP3 decides to not only focus on a new buddy cop duo from the previous Psycho-Pass series, it also switches out almost the entire personnel...which wouldn't be so bad if they didn't keep teasing you with cameos from them and some huge untold backstory that happened during the 7-year time jump. Ultimately, this feels much more shallow than previous entries and pretty skippable, despite the likeable characters.

Welcome to the N.H.K. (2006)
Top-tier anime that immediately goes next to Evangelion as one of my favorite ever. This single season adaptation of the book/manga is some amazing, deep, philosophical dark comedy. A wild and wacky trip into the headspace of reclusive gamers and social outcasts, I love how this goes from one minute thinking how the government showing certain shows only late at night is an evil conspiracy to the next minute dealing with the actual conspiracies of multi-level marketing schemes. A super funny anime that will likely appeal to geeks and social outcasts of all types.

Dead Men Don't Wear Plaid - I've wanted to watch this for a while now. I can't recall if I first heard about it when I was researching collage films, or when Carl Reiner passed away, but either way it's been on my radar for a good few years. It suddenly just got added to Prime so I jumped at the opportunity to finally check it out. The writing wasn't great, and the film is generally dated, but I must reccommend it from an editing standpoint. Here we have a movie in which most of the supporting cast is represented by archival footage from classic noir films. Steve Martin interacting with Humphrey Bogart is like watching Weird Al "interview" Paul McCartney on Al TV, it's very creative and fun. It's the perfect film for this community who can appreciate editing.

Scooby-Doo 2002

A "stellar adaption that gets the source material" my friggin ass. Where exactly does a dated script with horrid depiction of everyone gets Scooby? Or do people pull that out of their behind because they think there was only the 60's show existing and ignores stuff like Zombie Island?

Also, the whole "it's a satire a la Brady Bunch Movie" doesn't work since said movie didn't butcher the characterization of everyone like this film does with making Fred a selfish chauvinist creep and Daphine a full-of-herself bieach (actually, 90% of the characters are unlikable jackanapes what the hell). Plus, the evil Scrappy jokes were never funny...................

It's honestly amazing how Matthew Lillard managed to come out of this dumpster fire with a good portrayal of Shaggy. I'm not using hyperbole when I say that is a feat unto itself.

F*** this movie. sigh

Scooby-Doo 2002

A "stellar adaption that gets the source material" my friggin ass. Where exactly does a dated script with horrid depiction of everyone gets Scooby? Or do people pull that out of their behind because they think there was only the 60's show existing and ignores stuff like Zombie Island?

Also, the whole "it's a satire a la Brady Bunch Movie" doesn't work since said movie didn't butcher the characterization of everyone like this film does with making Fred a selfish chauvinist creep and Daphine a full-of-herself bieach (actually, 90% of the characters are unlikable jackanapes what the hell). Plus, the evil Scrappy jokes were never funny...................

It's honestly amazing how Matthew Lillard managed to come out of this dumpster fire with a good portrayal of Shaggy. I'm not using hyperbole when I say that is a feat unto itself.

F*** this movie. sigh

Not sure if it's appropriate for a thread about movies, but I did watch both seasons of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated earlier this year, and I highly recommend that show if you haven't watched it. Definitely a palette cleanser after that movie.

Die Hard (1988)

It's hard to talk about this one without saying what's already been said. I would describe it with the film's most iconic line, but doing so would get me banned for content. This is one of the greatest action films of all time for a reason. Bruce Willis and the late Alan Rickman are superb as protagonist and antagonist. The Nakatomi Plaza setting gives this film a perfect scale. And the movie itself is simply a fun, exciting romp. I'd say watch it, but I think most people already have.

Dredd (2012)

I was one of the many fools who didn't watch this during its tragically disastrous theatrical release. I saw this on blu-ray like everyone else, and I thought it was a blast. Watching this more than a decade later, it's still a blast. Karl Urban deserved way more movies playing the titular judge. Lena Headey is an ingloriously sadistic villain. And the visuals still look cool even today, especially the slo-mo scenes. An underappreciated gem that deserved way more than it got.

Not sure if it's appropriate for a thread about movies, but I did watch both seasons of Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated earlier this year, and I highly recommend that show if you haven't watched it. Definitely a palette cleanser after that movie.

Die Hard (1988)

It's hard to talk about this one without saying what's already been said. I would describe it with the film's most iconic line, but doing so would get me banned for content. This is one of the greatest action films of all time for a reason. Bruce Willis and the late Alan Rickman are superb as protagonist and antagonist. The Nakatomi Plaza setting gives this film a perfect scale. And the movie itself is simply a fun, exciting romp. I'd say watch it, but I think most people already have.

Dredd (2012)

I was one of the many fools who didn't watch this during its tragically disastrous theatrical release. I saw this on blu-ray like everyone else, and I thought it was a blast. Watching this more than a decade later, it's still a blast. Karl Urban deserved way more movies playing the titular judge. Lena Headey is an ingloriously sadistic villain. And the visuals still look cool even today, especially the slo-mo scenes. An underappreciated gem that deserved way more than it got.

I saw Dredd in 3D in theaters, and it was the 2nd best 3D movie I ever saw, after the first Avatar. WHOA. The Slow-Mo scenes were really cool. I wish I could see that again like that.

Floating Weeds (1959)
This is going to be blasphemy because I'd rate that "genre" stuff I've seen higher than this supposed classic, but I just wasn't very impressed by the film. Despite being "one of the best movies ever made", I found Ozu's directing techniques and editing to be simplistic not in a clean, effective way, but in the way that a kid playing at the beach makes a sandcastle that is all just bucket shapes. I appreciate details and craft in my films, and I appreciate characters who have some redeeming values and grow and learn. None of that here.

The Karate Kid Part II (1986)
Now HERE'S a great Japanese movie! But seriously though, the story of Mr. Miyagi going back to Okinawa to confront his past and reconnect with what he's lost is incredibly well-acted, beautifully shot, and moving. Around it is Daniel-san having a summer tussle, as you do, but it's all very accurate and respectful to the culture, language, and people, which is about a million years ahead of other '80s movies.

Ganbare, Douki-chan! (2021)
A micro-series of quick hit anime shorts, each focused on an office worker trying to win over her office crush. It's a bit echii and the guy is practically a non-entity (you never see his face), but this is a cute slice-of-life peak into a real office worker's daily tribulations in Japan.

Elemental (2023)

I admit, my expectations were low and I only watched this out of peer pressure and boredom. The result was mostly what I expected it to be. I suppose the romance is sweet, but that's the only thing I liked. It's hard not to watch this without thinking of Zootopia, which handled its racial subtext far better than this. The jokes were mostly puns I didn't like, and the "follow your passion" message has been done approximately 25,000,000 times prior to this film. It's not the worst thing Pixar has ever done, but I still wouldn't recommend it nonetheless. How this film managed to pull off its box office miracle is a mystery to me.

Dread (2009 (2010?)) - Clive Barker's short stories are, well, short. While some benefit from the shortness and simplicity (Midnight Meat Train), others could potentially benefit from being expanded upon. Dread is a decent choice of story to adapt and expand. The resulting film adds extra depth and background to the characters and adds extra characters, but also changes up the plot quite a bit. I thought I might be turned off by the changes, but it occurred to me that some aspects might require a higher budget and might detract from the realism of the film's vision, so it's probably for the best, and it works well enough. The new ending is more of a downer and a bit twisted, which I have to give credit. All in all I really enjoyed this and would reccommend, though also go read the original story too.

Beverly Hills Cop (1984)

Although some of the jokes are beginning to feel dated now (a lot of the bumbling cop cliches from the Beverly Hills police force are starting to bug me), there's no denying that Eddie Murphy was king of the world back in the '80s. And his performance as Axel Foley is proof of that. He single handedly saves this film, and makes it better than the sum of its parts almost 40 years later.

Extraction 2 (2023)
I absolutely loved the first film, probably more than any of the John Wick sequels. This one -much like those Wick sequels- loses some of what made the character and story resonant in terms of the writing, but -like those sequels- certainly gives you more and bigger action. If you pull scenes in isolation out of John Wick 4, they're amazing, but as a total film, I liked this better.

Chie the Brat (1981)

Chie gets a bad rap... she's just spunky! This is an early film from Studio Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata, and it has his usual Japanese slice-of-life hard-times focus, but with a lot of odd humor, too! Despite the simple animation, I was won over by it in the end, potentially due to the bizarre focus on animals' balls?!

God Bless America - I watched this the other day, it was pretty great. I've been struggling to review it here, because it got me thinking about my ranking of these Bobcat Goldthwait movies. I simply don't know how to rank them though. Is this better than World's Greatest Dad? I suppose it lacks the character depth. Is Shakes The Clown better than both of them or worse? It has a lot of nuance, and it honestly kinda makes me want to write a whole essay analyzing the titular character (probably won't happen for a while), but it lacks polish. All I know is that Sleeping Dogs Lie is at the bottom, but even that gets better as I think about it more.

Bobcat Goldthwait has become one of my favorite directors. He really understands people, in that a lot of the characters in his films feel real. He nails dark humor better than anyone else. In hindsight, he kinda reminds me of Kevin Smith except... I don't want to say "better", maybe "more ambitious"?

I just have one more non-documentary Bobcat film left, Willow Creek. Maybe I should watch it back to back with Kevin Smith's foray into horror, Red State.

Cape Fear- 1991
stylish and gripping thriller, with some over-the-top moments and overpowering score. loved De Niro's performance of psychotic killer.

very entertaining

Shaun of the Dead (2004)

Rewatching the unofficially named Cornetto trilogy. Shaun of the Dead is a shining example of a film that's better than it has any right to be. It's hilarious, thrilling, and surprisingly heartfelt. There are times when you even start to feel bad when someone gets bit. A film that works both as a zombie film and as a send-up of those same films. Highly recommended.

Hot Fuzz (2007)

Although I think Shaun of the Dead is more memorable, Hot Fuzz makes up for it by being the funniest film in the trilogy. It's worth watching for that reason alone. The laughs are both constant and consistent throughout, and the absurdity of the last third is comedy heaven. On a less important note, I gotta love all the cameos sprinkled throughout this one.

The World's End (2013)

I hate to call this movie a stinker, but it still hasn't grown on me. The surprisingly serious tone, which was great in Shaun of the Dead, does not work at all here. Half the time, I was wondering if the film was ever going to be funny. The alien subplot felt off, and I still hate the large scale ending for a film that should've kept its focus on a bunch of guys going through a bunch of pubs. I also hate how family friendly this movie was. I swear the only reason for that R rating is because the naughty words were said too much.

Guardians of the Galaxy vol 3
All over the place, but the emotion is what drives it, and it delivers. While it's fantastical and over the top, the resolution for the characters feels authentic and tangible. A great conclusion, and new beginning. 8/10

A Nightmare on Elm Street (2010)
I actually really liked the theatrical film, but this rewatch was the very good fanedit from @youngy94 called "Kruger". It takes the premise of the original release, (genuinely terrifying Freddy that is not camp, film that is horrific not funny) and fixes little bits that attempted (and failed) to cater to the old Elm Street crowd, who hated the film anyway. For me, the fanedit is a shelf-replacer purely for getting rid of the horrible sequel-bait ending!

The Princess Bride (Home Movie version, 2020)
This Quibi recreation is now assembled on Youtube with all 10 chapters linked as 1 hour-ish film, watchable in it's original vertical aspect with pop-up info to the side. It's a great way to enjoy this adoring tribute to the best sickday-pirate-fairytale-action-adventure-romantic-comedy of all time. Watched for International Talk Like a Pirate Day.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom