• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The Last TV Show/Episode You Watched... (quick one or two sentence reviews)

Masters of the Air. It’s not a bad series but it pales in comparison to Band of Brothers and even The Pacific (which I felt was good but still a significant step down from BoB). The problem here is I never really felt attached to the characters. They are almost cartoonish American soldiers who are macho, brave, patriotic, and talk about baseball. We see the horrors of war and the huge losses experienced by these airmen, but it fails to connect the way it should due to these two dimensional characters. The air battles also lack the tension they should have due to inferior special effects. Again, not bad effects but it just never feels tactile and real. It’s not a bad series but it’s a big disappointment after the two prior entries.

We watched the first season of Three Body Problem on Netflix. It’s a pretty good but not great adaptation. It’s definitely an adaptation that takes a quite a few liberties with the source material. Some of that is good in that we have more consistent protagonists to follow across the series and so far women are mostly treated much better than in the books. But some of it is bad in that one of the really interesting parts of the novels was their Chinese origin. Most of that cultural specificity is gone, making this feel much more like a typical “western” series. The science is necessarily dumbed down, but still interesting. The paper thin characters of the novels are still paper thin here despite being almost completely rewritten. I also thought it took a while to gain its footing with the middle episodes being its strongest. I liked it well enough, but it is far from a home run. FWIW, my wife who hasn’t read the novels liked it a bit more than me.

I've been watching The Orville.
I've never really gotten into Star Trek, so I can't say if it's a worthy successor, but I enjoyed it a lot.
It has all of the usual failings of Sci-fi; dumb jargon, united Earth government (lame), constant boasting about their enlightened philosophy which basically boils down to "Be nice, lol".
The topics it focuses on for episodes can be super interesting, but I don't think the show is very smart about them. It's "mature", but it's a kind of immature maturity, if that makes any sense. It's like the kind of mature you'd expect from a class president, rather than from an actual adult.
The one thing that really does annoy me is the constant sarcastic tone and references to 20th century pop culture, but that's just Seth McFarlane.

Even with all that it's really fun as a soap opera, which from what I understand is basically what Star Trek's original series was. So maybe in a few years there'll be TNG-style sequel series that's better at the ethical discussions.

Last edited:
Currently watching Succession for the for the first time and absolutely loving it. Just finished episode 3 of season 3. The writing, acting and cinematography throughout the series is just spectacular. Jeremy Strong has always gone sort of under the radar, I feel, but man does he get the opportunity to shine as Kendal Roy. Kieran Culkin is also fantastic. But my favorite part of the show is watching the growing relationship between Tom (play perfectly by Matthew Macfadyen) and Greg.
When it started, I hated all of these characters. Now I hate them slightly less, but the story is just so compelling that I can't turn it off!

O
When it started, I hated all of these characters. Now I hate them slightly less, but the story is just so compelling that I can't turn it off!
Ha! I think I hated them more and more as it went on and I initially didn’t think that possible. I think at first I cut them a little slack as products of their environment, especially Greg. But then they prove themselves to be irredeemably awful time and time again. 🤣

I think at first I cut them a little slack as products of their environment, especially Greg.
Greg was the only character that wasn't awful in the first season, and has progressively become more of a scumbag. The scene where he tries to black mail Tom, and Tom laughs while calling him a piece of shit is probably my favorite scene of the series so far.

SUPERNATURAL — it took almost 2 years, but today I finished my SECOND watch through of all 15 seasons — 327 episodes!

Seasons 1-5 Pretty damn perfect.
Seasons 6-11 Good, Bad and sometimes Ugly.
Seasons 12-15 a solid return to Greatness.

Over 15 years, a television show will have quality highs and lows. But the relationship between Sam and Dean keeps you coming back and cheering them on.

Love this show. 👍🥰

But do I dare start a THIRD rewatch? Lol

Last edited:

Beautifully shot, brilliantly paced and grippingly written.
A must watch for any Film Noir fan!

Watched the first two episodes -- very intriguing.

A highly stylized series that works as a love letter to the classic Hollywood Private Eye genre.

Colin Farrell is our Knight Errant Private Detective who specializes in finding missing people. He is a mystery man of skills, resources and compasion.
He is also a cinephile. The series will often change to Black & White and/or insert footage from older P.I. movies to lend insight into our mysterious hero or the case he is working.

So far, a stylish and dark Chandler-esque mystery.

I started Ripley last night. Coincidentally my wife wanted to watch Sugar but we agreed to wait until all episodes were available. After one episode I like Ripley a lot. I have to say though that, though I normally like well shot B/W, the absence of color is really feels like a lack of color once the story reaches the Amalfi Coast. Obviously I get they want it to have that added noir feeling but I’ve never seen the Amalfi Coast look so drab. 🤣

I started Ripley last night. Coincidentally my wife wanted to watch Sugar but we agreed to wait until all episodes were available. After one episode I like Ripley a lot. I have to say though that, though I normally like well shot B/W, the absence of color is really feels like a lack of color once the story reaches the Amalfi Coast. Obviously I get they want it to have that added noir feeling but I’ve never seen the Amalfi Coast look so drab. 🤣
I take back what I said about the black and white. Though it does make the coast rather drab, it is absolutely gorgeously filmed. Every shot, every camera movement is so perfect and thoughtful. Last night around episode six or seven, the kids came down to get some water a couple of times. And so I paused the show and each time the still frame just looked amazingly framed. The show itself is impeccable. It won’t be everyone’s cup of tea but I loved the slow tension building. This is a show that takes its time. I’m sure, knowing this place, there will be many that will want to trim it way down 🤣. But that would be a huge mistake in my opinion. I want to linger on those shots; I want to feel the palpable tension carry on almost longer than you can stand. This is a highly recommended show!

American Rust significantly ups it's game with a much stronger, more compelling and better paced second season.
Recommended.
(y)

STAR TREK DISCOVERY
As a COMPLETEST, I watched Season 5 Ep 01 with high hopes after the VERY GOOD FIRST CONTACT thread in Season 4....

OH DEAR, OH DEAR, OH DEAR!
Speeder Bikes? OH FFS PLLLEEEASSSE!!!!

Feel like trash again. :(

STAR TREK DISCOVERY
There's a good 2 hr movie hidden in there
yup, in that First Contact thread...
...YES I SAID GOOD, in regards to

STAR TREK: DYSENTERY

Sorry if this is already been brought up here, but I just saw a random trailer for “From” on Facebook. Honestly had never even heard of it and find out it has two seasons. It looks really intriguing but I’ve never heard anyone say a word about it.

Have some work travel coming up and thinking about using it as a plane show - anyone seen it and have feedback?

Sorry if this is already been brought up here, but I just saw a random trailer for “From” on Facebook. Honestly had never even heard of it and find out it has two seasons. It looks really intriguing but I’ve never heard anyone say a word about it.

Have some work travel coming up and thinking about using it as a plane show - anyone seen it and have feedback?
I’ve seen both seasons and consider it a solid “Lost-type” show. Probably rate it 8/10. Harold Perrineau’s acting has only gotten better since Lost.
disclaimer: I found the final season of Lost to be a satisfying conclusion which doesn’t seem to be a very popular opinion

I’ve seen both seasons and consider it a solid “Lost-type” show. Probably rate it 8/10. Harold Perrineau’s acting has only gotten better since Lost.
disclaimer: I found the final season of Lost to be a satisfying conclusion which doesn’t seem to be a very popular opinion
Great! Thanks for the info - I too actually liked the finale of Lost so I think we’d get along just great! Haha…

Looking forward to checking it out!

STAR TREK DISCOVERY
There's a good 2 hr movie hidden in there
yup, in that First Contact thread...
...YES I SAID GOOD, in regards to

STAR TREK: DYSENTERY
I think you could make a series of movie edits, but I don't think any of them would be very good.
  • Shenzhou (Season 1, episodes 1-2)
  • House of T'Kuvma (Season 1, episodes 3-8 & 14)
  • The Wolf Inside (Season 1, episodes 9-13)
  • Red Angel (Season 2)
  • The Burn (Season 3)
  • Anomaly (Season 4)
  • Red Directive (Season 5)

Almost done with S3 of Madalorian. I've never been a huge fan of it but this season is the weakest one yet. Seems to be a lot of filler without very much else going on.

If you have kids, and you don't know what Bluey is, you're missing out. Fantastic show.

Back
Top Bottom