• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

The fight to save games has started - and you can help

Cero

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure how many people on the forum are familiar with the problem of games-as-a-service, but generally it seems that people aren't aware of how big of a problem it is. Spoiler alert - game preservation is in a really poor state, and online-only is largely the reason why. If a game's locked behind DRM, chances are it's got a shelf life.

Some people will say it's not as big of a deal and they're just games. Games are a valid piece of media, and besides that, they're a product people paid for. Some people will say it's not that big of a deal. Over 90% of games made before 2010 are no longer playable. Some people will say there are no solutions. There are totally solutions, the companies just don't want people to think there are. There is nothing stopping them from making games playable after official support ends. Local server hosting is a thing. Just give people the tools and if they want it bad enough, they'll do it. But they don't have any incentive to do that. Yet. There's one man hoping to change that, though.

Ross Scott is a man on a mission. When he's not producing episodes of his review series Ross' Game Dungeon and the hit machinima series Freeman's Mind, he's devoted himself to ending the now industry-standard practice of games-as-a-service and destruction of video games. He's one of the most vocal advocates of game preservation on the internet, and because it's a subject that receives very little exposure online despite how prevalent the practice is, he's inadvertently set himself up as the leader of the movement. He's been waiting for a while for his chance to do something about it, and he may have just found it.

At the end of March, Ubisoft is shutting down servers for The Crew. As you're probably aware, The Crew is an always-online game, so doing this will make the game totally unplayable. This includes the singleplayer. Now, Ross believes that this is a violation of consumer laws based on the fact that The Crew was sold to customers for a one-time payment instead of a regular subscription fee, i.e. they sold it as a good rather than a service. This sadly isn't the case in the US due to the ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg lawsuit which basically set the precedent of giving the companies total gratis on how they write their EULAs, so the long and short of it is that consumer laws regarding digital media basically don't exist in America because in the overwhelming majority of cases, EULAs do not guarantee ownership of the actual data of the game. So Ross is mainly focusing his efforts on the European Union, where consumer protection is considerably more robust.

Now, generally when you buy something as a good, it's yours for life or until you sell it on to somebody else. But this doesn't seem to apply to online-only games, because in those cases, the company has put themselves between the game and the player and can decide at any time, for any reason, to stop providing the service, and customers who've bought the game are led to believe they have no legal recourse because they agreed to the EULA when they started playing.

Except... EULAs aren't legal documents (except in the US, sort of, because of ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg). Look at it this way. Imagine you buy a car from a dealership and they make you sign a form that says at any time, they can activate a remote kill switch in the car that will melt it down and render it unusable. You can't use it again, you can't sell it on, it's basically just so much molten slag, and the company says that's fine because you signed the document. I don't think that argument is going to hold up in court, do you? You can't just say consumer rights don't exist because they entered into an agreement that is clearly counter to the law. If you sell something, it's no longer yours. You can't just decide at a later date that you want it back or that you're going to break it so the new owner can't use it. And The Crew 2 doesn't count, because that essentially its own entity and was sold separately, as in players of the first game still had to buy the second.

This has been his argument for a very long time, but he's never had the opportunity to legally challenge the practice until now because in most cases, games being shut down have mostly been subscription-based. The Crew is the first case in a long time where a game is being killed that was unambiguously sold on a perpetual license. This still doesn't help US-based players, but there's still a lot of other players in other parts of the world where the law is on their side.

Well, he put the word out that he wanted people to get in contact and kind of crowdsource a legal strategy, and the community delivered. He's got a fairly solid start to a plan of action, but he still needs more input, and what's most important is that this gets as much exposure as possible to try and reach as many people as possible. We've never had a better chance than now at ending this practice for good, and this might be the last shot we'll ever have, so it's got to be worth trying. I'd encourage everyone to share this around, because every little helps.

It would be nice if companies were obligated to provide an option like the WoW private servers when shutting down a service like this, so fans could continue to host their own instances of it if they wish.

It certainly would. That's what Ross is hoping this plan he's working on will incentivise game companies to start doing that once they get hit in the wallet. If they make it cheaper to let fans take over running the servers than it is to just take it down and say sod it, companies will take notice. Nothing speaks to corporate interest quite like getting hit with a fine because people complained to a watchdog about unfair business practices.

The OP reads like a magazine article so I got lost part way, but I can discuss the issue. Games as a service is like a performance. You can't really record the experience of going to a music concert. at least not yet. I think these type of things are engineered like a theme park, rather than consumables. In life we buy things we can keep and things that are transient. Food is also like this.

t would be nice to be able to preserve a good game of course. Having said that.... I am moving away from game ownership due to the asking prices. I don't get the joy out of owning games any more as the physical product is cheaply produced and presented poorly and a digital version is almost worthless. Now I have signed up for gamepass, I play a game and move on. I'd like to have it to hold in my hands and play it on a reliable system, but the cost involved is prohibitive. There are so many games being produced now, many of them are not special and it's very rare to come across one truly special but it is only digital. These are the only games I physically own now.
20240226-172004.jpg

I'd like to own modern games. There needs to be less of them and they need to be made with care. our current economic climate precludes this of course, so I think we really need political change to improve this situation.

I understand where you're coming from, but my perspective is that games are media that can be reproduced and distributed, ergo I conflate them more with books and films. My view on this, and I doubt anything is going to change my stance, is that games can and should be preserved. As I said in my original post, there's nothing stopping companies from giving fans the ability to host local servers after official support ends. U:T did it. WoW did it. Titanfall 2 did it. Is it unreasonable to want to continue playing a game after the company stops supporting it?

Let me direct you to Ross' initial video on the subject from way back. Most of his points are still valid, though he's way off on his interpretation of US law specifically because he didn't know about ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg (again, as mentioned above). In practical terms, gamers don't own their games in the US and haven't since the late 90s.

Yes, I know owning stuff is expensive and it's generally cheaper to rent. But I stand on principle that ownership in games, as in all things, is something we want to fight companies like Ubisoft to keep a firm hold of. If I pay to buy something, I want to keep it. Period. And games that rely on central servers come with an implicit in-built use-by date, even if it's not explicitly stated. You just have their word that they won't take it down tomorrow and leave you with nothing.

Last edited:
This is a serious issue.

Seems to me that there is a simple solution. If you cut the hosting free law should be you no longer hold rights and have to open source server clients. Then people can mod etc. Look at Steam and all the money they made on mods etc... there will be regret and change.

At the very least then you could host your own server and play in it.

The ProCD, Inc. v. Zeidenberg is not interesting. Frankly it does not even fit games very well because the content never became devalued whether ProCD was around or not, as you owned the CD. With games you no longer have content access which is completely different. Your concern seems to be over making profit from another's content, and the viability of the license to restrict that. If you are not selling or providing a discounted content of said game, it is unrelated.

TOS are not strong in court without precedent. You have no real precedent when you claim you sold the idea of something and revoked it, as you no longer have a financial interest in it anymore - same would be true for being dissolved with no future content plans. Granted the issue is who has more money to spend in court, but there just is not much of anything there. Consider that implied use is more important than TOS. There have been many examples where making up gibberish nonsense no one reads is not held up as an excuse to rug consumers. If the consumer cannot easily understand, and the marketing implies what the consumer believes, then deception comes across authentic. Where the rubber meets the road is no one will pursue the offending party when they are totally insolvent and moneyless.

If a store throws away a bunch of product, it is still their product until the handoff to the trash company. You have to steal it to save, no matter what the optics feel like about it. With video games you paid for use with an undetermined timeline, implied continued use, and they are taking it from you and putting it in the trash. They are stealing from you at the basic level someone can understand it when you cannot use it offline/single player. No court will expect anyone to host servers indefinitely, but you cannot write a TOS that is congruent with basic understandings of purchasing where a person believes they should be rugged.

All I know is - if you play any sort of game that will one day stop working for any reason other than your choice to stop playing it - you need to savor the memories. The Matrix Online only ran from 2005 thru 2009. And there hasn't been a day that has gone by since the shutdown where I have not missed it. Cherish the friendships you make (establish out of game contact!) , screenshot things that have meaning to you. One day, someone, somewhere can just unplug a server and all you'll have are your memories. Hold onto them.

The Australian petition just went live and will run for 28 days: https://www.aph.gov.au/e-petitions/petition/EN6080

The UK petition is also open and has already hit 10k, still growing strong and I think there's a good chance of hitting 100k with in the allotted 6 months (hence why I didn't post about it sooner): https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/659071

Still no word on Canada or the European Citizens' Initiative yet though.

There's been some exciting updates that Ross goes into more detail about here:

Back
Top Bottom