• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Rebel Moon

JasonFlippy

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
With the reviews this thing is getting I guarantee we'll see an edit combining Part 1 and 2 into a much better version after the second part releases in April.
And Snyder is saying this is just the beginning and he wants to develop 2 or 3 sequels. Somehow with these reviews I doubt it.

Reddit Movies - Official Discussion - Rebel Moon Part 1

Rotten Tomatoes: 26% (38 Reviews)
Metacritic: 32 (16 Reviews)

SlashFilm (4/10):
the closing title card of "End Part One" feels more like a threat than a promise.
Hollywood Reporter:
the result of someone feeding Seven Samurai and Star Wars into AI scriptwriting software.
Deadline:
struggles to find its own voice amidst a litany of borrowed themes and styles
The Wrap:
a hugely expensive but uninspired “Star Wars” knockoff with some thrilling action sequences, and some truly ugly moments that taint the entire thing.
Screenrant (50/100):
lack compelling characters and a solid plot
IGN (4/10):
let down by a derivative patchwork script, mediocre action sequences and a superficial story that fails to live up to its expansive promise.
IndieWire (D-):
a movie so insufferable that it should be measured in milliseconds
Total Film (3/5):
a thunderous, portentous, gargantuan slab of mythological sci-fi fantasy
The Independent (1/5):
filled with motivational speeches, sexual violence and Charlie Hunnam stumbling his way through a soon-to-be-infamous Irish accent
BBC (2/5):
the story turns out to be disappointingly minor
Inverse:
Beneath all its spectacle, though, the Rebel Moon universe could do with a bit more context.
Polygon:
Snyder just can’t match the archetypal sincerity nor the outlandish imagination of the films he’s trying to emulate here
The Telegraph (40/100):
a loosely doodled mood board than a functioning film

I can already see the potential haha

Last edited:
This looks like generic-plastic-star wars wannabe. Not sure if I want to see it.

"professional critics" tend to have a hate boner for Snyder since 300, besides, the movie holds a 7.6 on IMDB. That being said, I'm not a fan of his Netflix era for now, Army of the Dead and Army of Thieves were pretty mediocre. Stuff that drops on that platform always looks cheap and TV-made, even when it's Fincher or Scorsese behind.
What's certain is I'm not taking RT's word for it, they are compromised. As always with Zack Snyder and Ridley Scott, I'll wait for the director's cut before making my mind.

There's this annoying trend called review bombing, where even so-called "professionals", most of them are just more or less known influencers, give exaggerated low scores to slow down the performances of a movie purely out of spit. You can't even trust positive reviews too since it's been revealed in September that RT took money from PR teams to raise movie scores.

Rotten Tomatoes is forever compromised.

From what I can tell, it was an external PR firm manipulating reviews without RT's knowledge or approval, which sucks but it's about the same as Instagram influencers buying followers from social media markets overseas. In the end, I just use RT to find a few reviewers I generally agree with and stick with them.

Even though it's about video games, this Dunkey video about reviews and reviewers is very enlightening (*some nsfw language*)

Last edited:
Didn't Snyder try to sell this to Lucasfilm as a Star Wars project and they turned it down? I'm sure i heard/read this somewhere in the past

Holy sh*t! Now this I wasn't expecting.
Screenshot-20231216-013736-Chrome.jpg

We really pulling the "muh conspiracy and wb sabotag" with the fact that Snyder's bland-ass Star Wars ripoff is a bland ass Star Wars knock off?

Be for real.
I work in a company, there's no limit at how petty people can be when one their former employees joins the competition. Resentment in business is no conspiracy theory, thinking otherwise is fooling yourself, especially when big money is at stakes.

I buy the review bombing for audience scores, but not for the professional reviewers. Look, not everyone likes the same stuff. And Snyder is someone who has generally not been a critical darling. If people like Snyder’s movies, great! Enjoy! What does it matter if it doesn’t score well with critics. He seems to get to make huge movies regardless of critical or even BO performance. And let’s be honest, Snyder doesn’t value the same things critics generally value, namely rich characters, emotional stakes, and weighty themes. He is the quintessential style over substance director. Which is fine; I sometimes enjoy that. Chronicles of Riddick would be a great example of that I generally like. But it’s hardly surprising that the critics are panning a Snyder movie for being Snyder-like. It’s not some great conspiracy.

The main issue with RT in my opinion is that the scores aren’t nuanced. Just like with the review system here, the numbers are mostly meaningless. A 3 out of 5 star review may be recommending the movie despite a few perceived flaws for one reviewer, while it may be a mess save for a single good performance for another reviewer. But until you read the reviews it’s all treated the same.

Last edited:
"professional critics" tend to have a hate boner for Snyder since 300, besides, the movie holds a 7.6 on IMDB.
Which also means nothing, since A) IMDb doesn't require verification that you've even seen something when you rate it, and B) the only people who have seen it besides critics are the most rabid members of Snyder's infamously loyal fanbase.

Also, a reminder that professional critics as a whole praised ZSJL and were generally positive about Army of the Dead.

Personally, these reviews do not surprise me. At this point we all know what Snyder's strengths and weaknesses as a filmmaker are, and Netflix have been quite happy to give him free reign, so these movies are almost certainly giving us both the best and worst that he has to offer.

It was expected. Snyder is a really talented director, but executives have this bad habit of giving talented directors too much power. Just because the guy can direct something like the 300 or the Watchmen, doesn't mean he isn't going to make Sucker Punch or Batman vs Superman if you give him free reign.

Even the trailer was boring.

The crazy part is that 300 and Watchmen were basically already storyboarded and scripted in Frank Miller's and Alan Moore's wildly good graphic novels, even down to some of the soundtrack in Watchmen, like this page referencing "All Along the Watchtower" in the issue where Nite Owl and Rorschach go to Antarctica:

When Zach does his own thing I feel it generally goes very poorly (except the Dawn of the Dead remake, which is really fantastic), and not just because critics say so.

As a fan of Zack Snyder's films, I'm excited. I haven't seen 300 or Suckerpunch, but I love his Dawn Of The Dead, BVS, and Watchmen among others. I haven't checked out any trailers, I don't typically seek them out. I'm not surprised that critics don't like it, that's fine. All that matters is that I personally like it. And I don't care if it's just a SW ripoff, I love Battle Beyond The Stars. I'm excited and more than willing to give this a chance.

When it comes to watching Zack Snyder films the first rule is to wait for the director's cut
I mean the dude is releasing this as part of his huge deal with Netflix to release Snyderverse movies exclusively on the platform; if he didn’t get Final Cut I’d be shocked.

Back
Top Bottom