• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Movie/TV Cliches

When someone is terribly sad or beaten down, you can bet that it'll start raining. The camera will probably be lifted above and looking down on them as well...

Women in bed always hold the covers against their chest. Even when alone or wearing a nightie.

Women in bed always hold the covers against their chest. Even when alone or wearing a nightie.
That reminds me of another: women wearing bras in bed.
I’ve never known a woman who wanted to sleep in a bra, and women have often pointed out to me how unrealistic this is when they see it.

I can respect anyone not wanting to expose their naked body to an audience let alone an entire film crew. But holding the sheets up over themselves is something that always draws me out of whatever reality the film is trying to establish. There are ways to film around nudity that both respect the actors and the audience with out drawing as much attention to it.

One trope I have always hated is when a child character is like "don't leave me!" and the adult in the situation is like "I have to leave, murder an entire colony of Xenomorphs, taunt their queen, and escape a self destruct sequence. I'll come back for you, I PROMISE". I understand there are reasons to say this, but honestly it has always come off as kind of messed up to make such absurd promises to a child in the face of death.

When they meet the mob boss, he's doing something innocuous like cooking, gardening, or cleaning a toilet.
Bonus point if he goes on a lengthy anecdote about a peice of historical trivia.

When they meet the mob boss, he's doing something innocuous like cooking, gardening, or cleaning a toilet.
Bonus point if he goes on a lengthy anecdote about a peice of historical trivia.
Tywin Lannister's debut scene in Game of Thrones comes to mind: skinning the carcass of a deer while lecturing his son on the importance of the family name.

Person picks up a book, opens it to the middle but acts like they're reading it from the beginning. Hate that.
On a similar note, when they play records. They just drop the needle in a random spot, usually IN THE MIDDLE OF THE DISC, and yet it starts up in the right spot at the start of the album or song. Doesn't work like that. Like books, the album or single starts at the beginning, or if they want to play a specific song on the album you have to actually look at the grooves to drop it into the right place for the song you want.

You can definitely drop the needle right at the start of a song. The grooves are all equally spaced, except between songs where the ridge is visibly wider. You just set the needle down on the ridge, and the needs moves into the groove at the beginning of the song.

Yeah that's... Not what I was saying. And yes I specifically said you can start it on a particular song, but that you have to look at it and not just randomly drop it down.

''Revenge isn't the answer''/''If you kill em you'll end up just like em''/''If you kill em you'll be left feeling empty and hollow inside'' basically any variation on the whole revenge is bad trope, quite frankly the hero would realistically feel a sense of catharsis from taking down the bad en that made their life hell in some way.

''Humans are soooooooooo baaaaaaaaaaad there killing deeeeeee eaaaaaaarth'' This cliche seriously needs to be retired, these big shot studio directors and executives fail to fathom the simple fact that there are good humans who actually aide and improve the earth.

''All men are misogyneeestic piiiiiigs'' A misinformative cliche that has sadly become quite prominent during films of the 2010's and 2020's that needs to die.

When a miscommunication happens between two or more parties to drag out the plot just for the sake of a conflict that could have easily been resolved had both parties simply talked things out.

Any fight sequence or before the start of said sequence were a character purposely puts themselves at a disadvantage just for the sake of honour or their own sense of deluded self gratifying machoism, any respect or likability I had for said character goes completely out the window when this cliche is in play.

When a confrontation between two advisories that leads to a potential epic duel has some phenomenal buildup only for said duel to end to quickly and anticlimactically just for the sake of a joke or a pathetic try hard attempt to be subversive.

Bringing a character back to life when their death not only had a huge effect on my emotions but ultimately served to move the plot or the characters story arc forward in a meaningful way thus completely killing the original impact of said death and ultimately making it feel cheap and pointless in the long run.

Clipshow episodes or for the movie variant of the cliche related formula reusing stock footage from previous movies to pad out the runtime of the current movie that one is watching.

Any instance of Toilet Humour....one of the lowest and laziest forms of cliche comedy in the fabric of existence.

When a VS MOVIE particularly a Monster VS Monster film or a Hero VS Hero film either doesn't devote enough runtime to its VS related title or takes an agonisingly long time for its plotline to reach said VS themed title.

When a film breaks the fourth wall and tries to dictate how I am supposed to feel about it and what my reason for coming to see it was, you can't tell me how I am supposed to feel about you movie that's my job.

When a movies events or entire timeline are either retconned or reset back to the very beginning just for the sake of an obnoxiously preachy moral lesson or for the sake of starting an entirely new continuity at the expense of the original continuity.

When censorship is applied to certain aspects of an 18+ certified movie, what's the point of censoring an 18+ certified movie when it's target audience are mentally responsible adults who know not to imitate or preach the negative connotations that they may see and hear on screen especially in public, movies like these shouldn't pull their punches as such censorship is annoying and devalues the experience of watching adultified movies of this certification.

When a VS MOVIE particularly a Monster VS Monster film or a Hero VS Hero film either doesn't devote enough runtime to its VS related title or takes an agonisingly long time for its plotline to reach said VS themed title.
Lately I feel like these movies tend to end up with the two characters teaming up to fight a bigger villain. It's fine sometimes, but it starts to get frustrating.

When a movies events or entire timeline are either retconned or reset back to the very beginning just for the sake of an obnoxiously preachy moral lesson or for the sake of starting an entirely new continuity at the expense of the original continuity.
I hate "it was just a dream" endings, if that counts. I think Wishmaster is a good example of everything getting reset, where it actually makes sense and is kinda clever.

Also, variations on the "War is Profitable" lie.

In the Fallout show, The evil company literally ended the world so that they could make money. Just dont ask what they'replanning to use the money for when they're the only people who exist.

Rebel Moon Part Two has too many to list.

But when all is at its darkest, when the heroes on the battlefield are broken, beaten, moments from their final doom…. A hero or the calvary will suddenly emerge to kick ass and inspire and rally the troops.

Rebel Moon Part Two does this.
Twice! Lol

Back
Top Bottom