• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
GK5NzzIWoAAVZYb

Men in Black³

I've been re-watching this series after many years, and now that I've gotten to this film, I just don't like the look at all of the color grading on the 4K. I first saw it in 3D back in 2012 and wasn't really paying attention to the grading back then. I love the look of the first two films and now that I sit and watch them all back-to-back I don't like the vibrant orange look of this one. I just got MIB International for after this one.

No cuts or additions were made to this edit. I added a near blanket color-grade, and added film grain. The opening logos were replaced as well.
GK3fiNiW4AAL2E6
GK3fflhXAAA8rj0
GK3fc2EWkAAqUk9

2D 1920 x 1080 h.264 .mp4 23.976fps - 5.1 Surround Sound AAC 383kbps

Last edited:
Reactions: M4_
After feedback,

I've made several small tweaks to the colorgrade in 4 to 5 areas/sequences in the film. They are small tweaks, but that is the point at this stage of editing, since it's so close to what I want out of it already. I got it even closer to what I want now.

I wanted to actually lessen the blues more in several indoor scenes, including the prison breakout at the opening (again), the Andy Worhol party scene, the pie scene afterwards, the baseball stadium scene with accompanying chase, and for the finale at the end I boosted the blue hues some.

For the indoor scenes I tweaked the blue hues some, and warmed the scene up very slightly for faces and lips, so the actors don't look pale. I tweaked the blues a little in the later pie scene and surrounding shots. For the outdoor scene at the end I let the blues come in a little more, as well as a small amount of warmer oranges/reds, to let a little more color in at the end of the film. Lastly, I am dropping the grain amount slightly to be less noticable.

You can see some of the changes below:
GLf5q9gXAAErGf3
GLf5xqlXQAAM0-h
GLf56znWUAAFxMN

GLf630rXUAAUhl-
GLf6_6FWMAAJ1dj

To my eye, all of the original versions look better. The regrades look overly blue and washed out. Maybe dial it back by about 50%.

I'm not sure "better" is necessarily the aim here, but to replicate the look of the original film. Perhaps inightmares could share some of their reference shots that they're grading to?

Ohh, my mistake. In that case I think you're doing great because I also thought the original looked washed out and blue, but I would also like to see some of the reference shots as well.

IMDB stills and old trailers sometimes have different grading. The first two films have a lot of white and into blues and greens (especially MIBII), not an abundance of orange. I admit my edit is even yet cooler but I like it and I think it's in line.

Last edited:
To me the imdb screenshots of the first film look like that blueish grade is only in the MIB office. I'm not sure I'm looking at the ones you're intending though. Or if the ones on imdb are accurate colors.
I have the intro re-uploaded as a side-by-side. TLDR: I have focused on skin tones yet a little more after feedback. Yes it's far cooler still. But I like it, and on the whole, watching it all the way through, I prefer this to the original. It is my own personal shelf replacer. I do not like the warm color grade of the original when it comes to this film series.

I'm not sure "better" is necessarily the aim here, but to replicate the look of the original film. Perhaps inightmares could share some of their reference shots that they're grading to?
To my eye, all of the original versions look better. The regrades look overly blue and washed out. Maybe dial it back by about 50%.
To me the imdb screenshots of the first film look like that blueish grade is only in the MIB office. I'm not sure I'm looking at the ones you're intending though. Or if the ones on imdb are accurate colors.
After a lot of positive feedback and critical as well, I have taken it all to heart and I have tweaked and tweaked yet more based on that. I kept tweaking the blues but it wasn't enough. Now, I have added to the Color Balance. I let it some teals/green hues like MIB 1 and MIB 2, and warmed up the edit a bit more to keep everyone looking healthy and not so pale. And for the ending of the edit, I tweaked up the color balance of the warm oranges just a tiny bit more than the rest of the edit. I also tweaked the brightness/contrast overall, and I dropped the film grain amount.

4K Updated Comparison 1 of 2:

4K Updated Comparison 2 of 2:

Does anyone want this in 4K? The updated 1080p Workprint is available.

Last edited:
I made this same post on r/fanedits with the video and it got taken down because it's "spam".. it's an updated comparison video, not spam🙏

Back
Top Bottom