• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

KJRS 0003: LEGEND (1985) European Theatrical Cut Restoration

kidjupiter92

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
  • Original Movie Title: Legend (1985)
  • Genre: Action/Adventure, Fantasy
  • Franchise: N/A
  • Fanedit Type: Movie & Television Preservation
  • Original Release Date: 1985
  • Original Running Time: 94 mins
  • Fanedit Release Date: December 2023
  • Fanedit Running Time: 94 mins
  • Time Cut: N/A
  • Time Added: 14 secs.
  • Available in HD? Yes

Overview: After reconstructing the TV Cut of Legend, and finally replacing an old DVD I had of the Euro Cut, I decided I wanted to update the 11 year old HD transfer of the European Theatrical Cut using the Arrow Video restoration, The want was also spurred on by the fact that Arrow Video had the footage for Euro Cut on hand and included bits and pieces of it in a bonus feature available on their set, but weren't allowed to release a restoration of the cut because of rights issues and no cooperation on the part of a certain House of Mouse. So I am glad to present the European Theatrical Cut of Legend restored.

Changes: Although I can't properly list every single instance of trimming, cutting, and rearranging that was needed to make this restoration possible, I will, however, list two changes that were made for this restoration.

00:00:00:00: Added the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare from The Final Conflict: Omen III to the beginning of the film.
01:26:24:05: In the Fox Ultimate Edition release, Lilli is seen in the background as Jack jumps down to retrieve her ring to wake her up. This is an error that was first seen in the DVD releases of the Euro and Director's Cuts. Lilli was removed from the shot in the Director's Cut when the Ultimate Edition was brought into HD but that change wasn't implemented for the Euro Cut. I corrected this error for this transfer using the corrected shot from the Arrow Video Director's Cut transfer.

Sources:
Region B 20th Century Fox 2012 Legend: Ultimate Edition Blu-Ray:
The base of this project, the European Theatrical Cut, was taken from this blu-ray release. Not only was it used as the timing guide for the restoration process, but two elements of footage unavailable in other sources were taken from here and recolored to match other with the other sources. The 5.1 surround mix was also taken from this release.
Region A Arrow Video 2021 Legend Limited Edition Blu-Ray Set: The Director's Cut, the US Theatrical Cut, and alternate footage bonus feature were sourced from this set. The restored Director's and US Theatrical cuts were restored by Arrow Video for this set, and their restored transfers were what I used to update the European Cut. A handful of footage that couldn't be found in either of those cuts were taken from the bonus footage feature, and color matched to either the DC or US TC to blend in. These transfers were used to create uniformity among all three of the cuts.
Region A Scream Factory The Final Conflict Blu-Ray: As the 20th Century Fox logo and fanfare were removed from the 2012 blu-ray transfer, I lifted a 1981 2.35:1 Cinemascope opening from the The Final Conflict blu-ray and added it before the film. The 5.1 fanfare audio was taken from the disc as well, and added to the 5.1 mix.

Please PM for download. And please also own either the Arrow Video set, the Universal release, or 20th Century Fox/Disney release.

Last edited:
Just wanted to inform you all that I am currently working on a version two to improve the visual quality and rework the theatrical stereo mix.

Wanted to give you guys another quick update. While watching through the old Fox blu-ray, I decided that I will be including the Castilian Spanish, Parisian French, German, and Italian dubs in V2. I'm not sure, however, if I'll be leaving them as 5.1 DTS tracks or mixing them down to stereo Dolby Digital tracks to keep the file size down.

EDIT: Taking a look at one of the 5.1 dubs, I have realize that the center channel seems to be dialogue for the most part. I think I will be mixing together an isolated music and effects track for this as well -- either 5.1 or stereo.

Last edited:
Anyone active in the Discord knows this, but I have recently finished the v2 master. I'm currently sitting on it while I'm waiting for a Region 4 DVD to come to me for audio purposes. The aforementioned dubs have been edited, mixed down to DD 2.0 files, and will be included in the v2 release.

I also forgot to mention that v1 is actually available on the Internet Archive, and has been as late January. I had completely forgot about it, but will still be sending out requested links.

A version 2.1 is coming soon. I finally have a decent 2.0 track for the original theatrical mix, and minor tweaking has been done to the transfer and various European dub tracks.

Back
Top Bottom