• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Is There A Free Way To Rip Bluerays?

Prism_Skywalker

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I don't feel comfortable giving MakeMKV money, especially when it's to have permission to decrypt a copyrighted disc... How do I get a blueray ripped? I need Dark Phoenix as a mp4 file I own the disc.

I've moved this thread to file conversion.

Free option to achieve your goal.
Disc > MakeMKV > AVIdemx = MP4 file

I'd recommend using m2ts if you can. I've had issues using mp4's on Vegas Pro. If you don't have an issue with your NLE you should be fine with the above flow.
Disc > MakeMKV > TSMuxer to make m2ts > Audacity to make individual wav files

Hey I got MakeMKV working, thanks for your assistance, and I got a blueray of Marley & Me, can you tell me what are the appropriate settings for handbrake to not loose quality? I did a test rip and set it so high it wont even play, LOL. Could really use assistance! :D

Hey I got MakeMKV working, thanks for your assistance, and I got a blueray of Marley & Me, can you tell me what are the appropriate settings for handbrake to not loose quality? I did a test rip and set it so high it wont even play, LOL. Could really use assistance! :D
Don't try to edit the ripped MKV files. Get TSMuxerGUI (it's free) and demux the audio and video streams from the MKV file. The video will be .TS or .M2TS and the audio can be dealt with separately. You can take the audio stream and open it in Audacity (also free) and export each track (2 if stereo or 6 if surround) into individual wav files or into merged wav files. If you're already doing this or the same with different software, good.

If you are using a video editor that allows proxy files, you can look up how to create them in your particular editor. That would keep your original rips but would create a lower quality file for smoother playback while editing. Editing bluray ".TS" or ".M2TS" files in Adobe Premiere, in my experience editing on a pretty good laptop, this is absolutely necessary. You may need to use your video editor program to create the proxy files in order to link them properly.

If your editor doesn't allow that, then maybe you can try doing something similar manually starting with Handbrake, but I would recommend the other way first.

If that doesn't work, then, and only then:
In Handbrake, you want to make sure the tab with deinterlacing and decombing and whatnot has all those filters off. Make sure the tab with cropping isn't auto cropping anything you don't want it to (four 0's, top, bottom, left, right, means it's not cropping), then the important tab is the one with frame rate and video quality. On this tab, choose one of the HD file output presets, maybe HD for Web or something. Then change the framerate from a set 30 or 60 or whatever to instead be "Same as source". Make sure it's constant framerate, not variable framerate. Accidentally making it variable framerate means it's not actually the same framerate the source video is and this will cause problems later. If you want to be 100% certain, you can choose the film framerate of 23.976fps, but I recommend just using "Same as source". The bitrate should be using the quality dial, and you can turn the number down for less compression or up for lower file size. Between 18 and 24 is recommended for something deliverable, but if you are making something for easy playback, you can probably crank it to 25ish without it being detrimental for your editing experience. The output dimensions I would recommend halving. It's naturally 1920x1080 so half it to 960x540. This will considerably lower the file size and without losing too much quality to tell what's happening. You can then check the other settings, make sure they're to your liking, and export when you're ready.
Then enjoy editing the lower quality easier to play file. And when you are finished editing, before you export, the tricky part. You have to trick your video editor to accept the original file in place of the lower quality file. You can look up how to replace video source files in your editor program of choice. It's a simple right click in Adobe, I'm not sure about other programs. There may be an issue with the halved dimensions depending on your editor, or to avoid this, skip the halving step and just crank the quality down further in Handbrake.

So wait what do I do? Do I not use MakeMKV or Handbrake?? I'm so confused, please dm on here a direct step by step guide to get a blueray to the editor. Please I am so lost but want to edit.

So wait what do I do? Do I not use MakeMKV or Handbrake?? I'm so confused, please dm on here a direct step by step guide to get a blueray to the editor. Please I am so lost but want to edit.

If you want an MP4, you can do this:
  1. Blu Ray Disc
    1. insert into BD
  2. MakeMKV
    1. analyze disc
    2. select video files
    3. Deselect audio tracks & subtitle tracks not wanted
  3. tsMUXER (THIS STEP CAN BE SKIPPED IF YOU DON’T WANT AN .m2ts File Just use the mkv file)
    1. drop mkv file into program
    2. MUX a .m2ts file with the video and audio file desired
  4. avidemux
    1. Drop .m2ts (or MKV) file into program
    2. Video settings (found on left side)
      1. (copy)
    3. Audio settings (found on left side)
      1. AAC (lav)
      2. configure (set to desired bit rate and hz)
    4. Output Format
      1. MP4 Muxer
    5. Save file
  5. Drop file into NLE

What settings should I do for the avidemux program? I just want to convert from mkv to mp4 with 0 quality drop. and what do you mean by MP4 Muxer?

Please I am so lost I am just trying to get some bluerays available for editing and want to complete a fan edit. I have the idea, it's the quality crap I can't figure out.

Do use MakeMKV, but that only gets the disc ripped, it doesn't make the rip editable. The next step of my method is demux with tsMuxerGUI, and continue from there.
I am comfortable editing .TS and .WAV files. Dig prefers to process further with different method, using avidemux. You will have similar results either way, we're sharing what works for us, just choose a path and try it. If it doesn't work try the other one.

Fan editing is not a simple or easy thing to start doing. But it is achievable and once you know, you know. You won't have to relearn what to do.

So how do I choose settings on the DeMuxer? I imported now what do I click? I just want it to make blueray to mp4 from MKV so can you break down what I click exactly?

Dig prefers to process further with different method, using avidemux.
That's one of the fastest ways I've found to get an mp4. I actually personally do MakeMKV > tsMuxer > Audacity to create a .m2ts/.ts file and separate wav files for the surround track. It's the most streamlined.

Actually avidemux wont work on mac 10.13.6 UGH
A Google search brought me here : https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviDemux
There is a Mac version.

So how do I choose settings on the DeMuxer? I imported now what do I click? I just want it to make blueray to mp4 from MKV so can you break down what I click exactly?
tsMuxer won't give you an MP4. You'll need to take the MKV and drop it into avidemux and follow the steps I posted above. That will give you a MP4 file.

MKV is a container file that houses the .m2ts file. Kind of like a water bottle contains the water inside of it. avidemux simply changes the container from MKV to MP4 so it doesn't take a super long time to convert, unlike running it through Handbrake or other reencoding programs.

To make it a MP4 for editing in Filmora
If you want a LOSSLESS mp4 to edit with, don't use handbrake, you'll lose quality. Use ffmpeg and use this code as a base
ffmpeg -i "INPUT.mkv" -c:v copy -an "OUTPUT.mp4"
-c:v copy will copy the h264 encode losslessy and just put it in a container you can edit with

-an will leave out the audio from the encode, because you can't have a 5.1 wav file in an MP4 container, and PCM's size limit means you can't have all the wav files together in that container either, so you'll need to encode them as separate files

Don't use Audacity though, it's a pain in the ass, just use this code in ffmpeg
ffmpeg -i “INPUT.mkv” -acodec pcm_s24le -filter_complex "channelsplit=channel_layout=5.1[FL][FR][FC][LFE][BL][BR]" -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[FL]" front_left.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[FR]" front_right.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[FC]" front_center.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[LFE]" lfe.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[BL]" back_left.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[BR]" back_right.wav
If your source is 7.1, then format it like this
ffmpeg -i “INPUT.mkv” -acodec pcm_s24le -filter_complex “channelsplit=channel_layout=7.1[FL][FR][FC][LFE][SL][SR][BL][BR]” -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[FL]" front_left.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[FR]" front_right.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[FC]" front_center.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[LFE]" lfe.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[SL]" surround_left.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[SR]" surround_right.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[BL]" back_left.wav -acodec pcm_s24le -map "[BR]" back_right.wav

Last edited:
That's one of the fastest ways I've found to get an mp4. I actually personally do MakeMKV > tsMuxer > Audacity to create a .m2ts/.ts file and separate wav files for the surround track. It's the most streamlined.

A Google search brought me here : https://www.videohelp.com/software/AviDemux
There is a Mac version.

tsMuxer won't give you an MP4. You'll need to take the MKV and drop it into avidemux and follow the steps I posted above. That will give you a MP4 file.

MKV is a container file that houses the .m2ts file. Kind of like a water bottle contains the water inside of it. avidemux simply changes the container from MKV to MP4 so it doesn't take a super long time to convert, unlike running it through Handbrake or other reencoding programs.
If you want a LOSSLESS mp4 to edit with, don't use handbrake, you'll lose quality. Use ffmpeg and use this code as a base

-c:v copy will copy the h264 encode losslessy and just put it in a container you can edit with

-an will leave out the audio from the encode, because you can't have a 5.1 wav file in an MP4 container, and PCM's size limit means you can't have all the wav files together in that container either, so you'll need to encode them as separate files

Don't use Audacity though, it's a pain in the ass, just use this code in ffmpeg

If your source is 7.1, then format it like this
So how do I easily get audio? You need to break it down easier for me? I just need film and audio then combine them together and then I can start cutting scenes together. So how should I do that?

The question you PMd me has been answered in your thread, Prism.

Back
Top Bottom