• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Disney to release 100-year Blu-ray box set

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Potentially exciting news for fan editors and fans of physical media: Disney is releasing a massive Blu-ray box set featuring all of its Feature Animation films and all of its Pixar films, and rounding the list with a handful of other films (stop-motion, DisneyToons, etc.) to round the list out to 100. Included in this list are some Pixar films that haven’t seen a physical release until now, including 2020’s Soul.

https://www.thewrap.com/disney-legacy-animated-film-collection-100-discs/

I admit I love the concept of this more than I love the execution. It occurred to me several years ago that a 100-year box set for Disney would be a great idea, and I’ve often speculated on what might make the set. All the theatrical Disney and Pixar animated films make sense, but the remainder of the choices cause some head-scratching. The only live-action film is James and the Giant Peach, possibly because it contains some animation (stop-motion). But if hybrids are included, where are Mary Poppins and Who Framed Roger Rabbit?

All of the DisneyToon movies included had a theatrical release, but the very first DisneyToons movie release (which was theatrical), DuckTales the Movie: Treasure of the Lost Lamp, is excluded.

Honestly, I would even rather cut back on even some of the lesser feature-animated and Pixar movies to include a healthy portion of live-action movies. Films from The Absent-Minded Professor to Pirates of the Caribbean contributed greatly to Disney’s legacy but they have no showing anywhere. The Muppets are sorely overlooked here as well. One might argue that we don’t need yet another physical release of a Star Wars or MCU movie, but they would make more sense on a box set celebrating Disney’s 100 years than Planes: Fire and Rescue, which bafflingly did make it onto this set.

Still, as I stated in another thread today, I’m glad for any physical media release from Disney at the moment. Earlier this year, the company announced that Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3 would be the last physical media release of any of their movies in Australia, which made me concerned about what might happen in the States. This upcoming box set is a sign that Disney realizes there still are some people who like to add movies to their shelf.

(Mods, if this post should go to another sub-forum, let me know. Thanks!)

So…. If this is a collectors edition and clearly not going to be purchased by children…where is SONG OF THE SOUTH?

The song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" won the 1947 Academy Award for Best Original Song and James Baskett received an Academy Honorary Award for his performance as Uncle Remus…. Was not even in the nominated acting category… they just gave it to him… and now it’s banned and pilloried by people who have not even seen it. Shame that such an iconic important film is erased.

And such a performance meriting an honour of such magnitude, is tragically forgotten now.

Last edited:
I would be interested in this set but $1500 is pretty steep. I mean, it's only $15 per movie but still...

So…. If this is a collectors edition and clearly not going to be purchased by children…where is SONG OF THE SOUTH?

The song "Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah" won the 1947 Academy Award for Best Original Song and James Baskett received an Academy Honorary Award for his performance as Uncle Remus…. Was not even in the nominated acting category… they just gave it to him… and now it’s banned and pilloried by people who have not even seen it. Shame that such an iconic important film is erased.

And such a performance meriting an honour of such magnitude, is tragically forgotten now.

The outrage if they'd release it would be insane. Dont get me wrong I hate the cleansing of history as much as the next guy but the world has gone mad and isnt able to read context anymore.

The outrage if they'd release it would be insane. Dont get me wrong I hate the cleansing of history as much as the next guy but the world has gone mad and isnt able to read context anymore.
The version of Dumbo that turned up on Disney+ in 2019 had a content warning about the context in which the film was released and the crows scene. Presumably that's the same version included here, so it remains frustrating that Disney would rather vault its more problematic history than own it and make it available with suitable warnings.

Given the last UK broadcast was circa 1980 and the last release 1982 on vhs, the outrage would come from people who have not seen it.

The lead performance is wonderful, and far less cringy thank Samuel L’s in Django, which is redeemed when we see later that his character is “acting”…

Fantasia is also censored on this set. You can see the original replaced animation on YouTube.

I tried for ages to get a refund on my Fantasia uncut box set… which was in fact censored. Disney came back and said the “run time was unaffected and therefore, uncut”.

Seriously?!?!?

The version of Dumbo that turned up on Disney+ in 2019 had a content warning about the context in which the film was released and the crows scene. Presumably that's the same version included here, so it remains frustrating that Disney would rather vault its more problematic history than own it and make it available with suitable warnings.

I mean I've yet to hear a single person being triggered by the crows, so content warning make no sense to me anyway. And like 50% of my family is black.

The moment the dungeons and dragons episode from community was cancelled I realised we really need to tell these people to keep their mouths shut. I dont know if you've seen that episode but once you realised why it l was cancelled you'll realise these people CHOOSE to be offended.

Given the last UK broadcast was circa 1980 and the last release 1982 on vhs, the outrage would come from people who have not seen it.

The lead performance is wonderful, and far less cringy thank Samuel L’s in Django, which is redeemed when we see later that his character is “acting”…

Fantasia is also censored on this set. You can see the original replaced animation on YouTube.

I tried for ages to get a refund on my Fantasia uncut box set… which was in fact censored. Disney came back and said the “run time was unaffected and therefore, uncut”.

Seriously?!?!?

That's crazy. The amount of arguments to be made against this lol. How did they replace the footage. Ah yes.. by cutting.

Not to mention the movie could show a black screen instead and the 'its uncut because length' argument would also apply lol.

I mean I've yet to hear a single person being triggered by the crows, so content warning make no sense to me anyway. And like 50% of my family is black.

The moment the dungeons and dragons episode from community was cancelled I realised we really need to tell these people to keep their mouths shut. I dont know if you've seen that episode but once you realised why it l was cancelled you'll realise these people CHOOSE to be offended.
Having the content warning doesn't do any harm, though, and provides some mechanism against someone (whether just very naive or in bad faith) arguing that the film somehow represents Disney's current values. Edited to add: It also provides a suitable cue, should a parent/guardian want it, for having a conversation with their children to explain the context etc.

I have seen that episode of Community and didn't realise it had been removed. But - I'm in the UK and have also seen similar things happen with shows like Little Britain and The Mighty Boosh (without the ambiguity of the Community episode), where IMO the bigger question for the relevant creators is "why did you think blackface was so inherently hilarious?". Certainly for the Mighty Boosh (a show I have greatly enjoyed as TV, radio show and live show) it was one of those "nothing about the joke in question is enhanced by having one of the actors in blackface"...

Edit: possibly worth noting that I'm in the UK, which has a somewhat different cultural context around freedom of speech and related matters to the USA.

Last edited:
Having the content warning doesn't do any harm, though, and provides some mechanism against someone (whether just very naive or in bad faith) arguing that the film somehow represents Disney's current values.

I have seen that episode of Community and didn't realise it had been removed. But - I'm in the UK and have also seen similar things happen with shows like Little Britain and The Mighty Boosh (without the ambiguity of the Community episode), where IMO the bigger question for the relevant creators is "why did you think blackface was so inherently hilarious?". Certainly for the Mighty Boosh (a show I have greatly enjoyed as TV, radio show and live show) it was one of those "nothing about the joke in question is enhanced by having one of the actors in blackface"...

The whole community joke only works because he has darkened his face with makeup. The joke can only exist because he is a dark elf (and asian so the whole blackface argument really doesnt hold up)

I disagree tbh with warnings. Even the green book (which is one of the best films about race in the past 10 years) was apparently racist because it dares to suggest black people like chicken and the director had to apologize for it lmfao.

Cut because this is drifting off-topic :)

Ah yes sorry I get carried away when it comes to film history and censorship. 1500 bucks is extremely steep if you ask me. Someone else commented 'only' 15 bucks per movie, but that's basically retail price for seperate films already.

I'd argue it's bad value. It's not even 4k lol. Only the most die hard of die hard fans would buy this, and only those who have too much money to burn because let's face it: if you're willing to fork over 1500 for this you probably already have all of these films to begin with lol.

….. “White Chicks” anyone?

. … haven’t Disney figured out that part of growing up is learning to deal with fear and Terror?

Will the Whale sequence in Pinocchio be changed … cuz it’s frightening? Will turning into a donkey be deemed offensive to donkeys…? Will actors wearing old age prosthetics be replaced with older actors?

Did Sleeping Beauty consent to that kiss?

Its pretend folks… with beautiful intent and parables…

Back to topic…
Expensive…and incomplete…

Last edited:
Those damn cheaters including Pixar. Do not denigrate them so.

The only film getting it's Blu-Ray debut (some of the others were Disney Movie Club exclusives) is Pooh's Heffalump Movie.
That was the first movie I ever saw in theaters!

Will actors wearing old age prosthetics be replaced with older actors?
They should be.
guy-pearce-prometheus-2012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom