• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS: Legacy of Oliver Queen

IMG-7494.jpg

Received this Hardcover in the mail the other day and just finished reading it.
This collects Justice League #75 and DCOIE #0-7.
How does it stack up against previous DC CRISIS events?

It is functional.

The art is all over the place-- ranges from very good to average, held together by beautiful modern digital colouring techniques. But most of the characters look like templates with just different costumes. The art lacks the dense detail or emotional depth of Perez or Jimenez or craftsman line work of Jurgens.

Storywise, I am not entirely sure what the purpose of this event was? I guess to clearly establish Dick Grayson is the Heir to the DCU Legacy? Maybe establish that the new generation of heroes are worthy of their Legacy? Though with the exception of Dick and Jon, and a little bit of Wally and Yara, all of the newest generation of heroes were interchangeable background wallpaper. I had no better idea who any of them were by the end of the series.

Certainly in terms of "nothing will ever be the same again" tagline.... well, that was false. I mean there is this plot line that Pariah (yes, another COIE Hero has been turned into a villain) is using The Great Darkness to bring back "the Infinite Earths". But it is never made clear what that means in the main series. From what I can tell, just more Earths were added to DC's already newly established Multi-Omni-Verse from the Dark Metal and Justice League Incarnate books. There is no status quo change of any true importance within the pages of this book itself from what I could tell.

And that is the biggest weakness of this collection. The majority of Big Reveals and Events that drive the story forward or Develop the Characters in any significant way happen off page in the spin-off One Shots that are NOT included in this Hardcover. It makes the story a very disjointed and unsatisfying read. And to top it off, the story ends with the set-up for another Event.

Compared to the classic COIE or even the later sequels like Infinite Crisis or Zero Hour, this is a thin, pale, and ultimately unnecessary, new chapter in DC's CRISIS brand.

Last edited:
I had a hard time jumping on the DC train with Rebirth and DC Infinite. And except for the Batman stuff, the New 52 didn't really appealed to me. What's in between COIE, Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis. That's my jam.

I had a hard time jumping on the DC train with Rebirth and DC Infinite.
DC has been a directional and editorial mess ever since the New52 failure.
Staggering, reeling and bumbling from event to event, reboot to reboot, constantly chasing the momentary sales bump.
Maybe this Dawn of DC plan will turn things around?
Bringing Mark Waid back into the fold is a positive sign, but the lack of many strong, experienced editors makes me wary.
And with all due to respect to Jim Lee, while he is an incredible artist, his skills as a publisher and storyteller have been less than stellar.
But as a life long DC fanboy, I always hope for the best.

What's in between COIE, Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis. That's my jam.
I am the same. DC was on a creative focused high right up to BRIGHTEST DAY and FLASHPOINT.

Waid and Tom Taylor really seem to be the only ones who know what they're doing at DC. Both have their own cornered-off sections of the DC universe where they build up whole characters and worlds in ways that are a healthy blend of soft and intense. Nightwing really is the template for how all the Bat-Books ought to be in particular, I really love that Dick Grayson's fortunes have turned around and that he and the Titans are the focal point of the DC universe.

@Profit THANK YOU SO MUCH for your glowing review!

This is a great capstone to the Arrowverse.

I have plans to return to the Arrowverse this winter. ;) :)

THANK YOU @Fran_Garcia for your positively positive review! :)

The inclusion of Chapters, makes this fan edit much more epic...
Thanks! I really want to invoke the original feel I had reading the series back in the day, each new monthly issue was a new chapter in a sprawling cosmic saga.
I really like how the Chapter Transition turned out for Chapter 5 "Rebirth" as I was trying recapture the iconic white panel look from the comic.

The final credits are also awesome with the comicā€™s counterpart of our beloved heroes.

This went through soooooo many iterations! I kept flip flopping on what to do! LOL
I hope the final version works as nice love letter to the comic book source material that inspired this work.

THANK YOU @Fran_Garcia for your positively positive review! :)

Thanks! I really want to invoke the original feel I had reading the series back in the day, each new monthly issue was a new chapter in a sprawling cosmic saga.
I really like how the Chapter Transition turned out for Chapter 5 "Rebirth" as I was trying recapture the iconic white panel look from the comic.
Then you have recaptured the essence! You are very welcome!
This went through soooooo many iterations! I kept flip flopping on what to do! LOL
I hope the final version works as nice love letter to the comic book source material that inspired this work.
Indeed it works!

Breaking News!

Part One of the animated COIE will release on January 24, 2024!!! šŸ˜Š

Breaking News!

Part One of the animated COIE will release on January 24, 2024!!! šŸ˜Š
Batman Top GIF

That's far too early than what I imagined! Since it was announced at the same time as animated Watchmen, I hope they're not going to go full Doomsday Clock/DC Rebirth on us.

Batman Top GIF

That's far too early than what I imagined! Since it was announced at the same time as animated Watchmen, I hope they're not going to go full Doomsday Clock/DC Rebirth on us.
My guess is the movie was already in production when announced and modern animation is not as time consuming as it used to be.

Though upon further research, the January release date is based upon the blu ray Amazon listing that appeared this week. Nothing official has been stated by WB Animation. So I might have put the cape before suit lol

Tbh, I expected something a little more.... thrilling.

Me too. I was hoping for more reveals. But then again, I don't want to spoil the movie too much either.
The simple fact this is going to be a THREE PART animated trilogy, gives me great hope they will do the material right.

On the fan edit side of things, with my STAR TREK 5 nearing completion, I am happy to announce I will be returning to my beloved ARROWVERSE with my next series of projects. Stay tuned! :)

Before I start my next phase of the Arrowverse editing, I figured I should make some case art for the ones I have already completed...

Crisis-collection-blu-ray.jpg

šŸ˜

Received my Blu Ray today of COIE PART ONE Animated Movie.

General thoughts....

Not what I expected. But also BETTER than I expected.

This is essentially a Barry THE FLASH Allen's story, and there is some real emotional depth to his arc.

The movie connects and ties up the previous Tomorrowverse animated movies. This CRISS trilogy will bring the Tomorrowverse to a close, as James Gunn launches his Interconnected Animated Universe next.

The first movie is mostly set up and differs significantly from the source material, though it does adapt and go much deeper into the Earth-3 Crime Syndicate sequence from the first Crisis issue.

There is also a fun Bronze Age nod to Earth-2 Robin and Huntress.

There are NO cameos or nods to any of the previous DC cartoons from decades past. Will this happen in Parts Two or Three? While I certainly hope so, but based on the established premise so far, this might be an exclusive Tomorrowverse event.

My final rating will depend on how the remainder of the trilogy plays out, but based on what I watched so far,
I would give PART ONE a 7 out of 10.

Back
Top Bottom