• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Zoom Screenings of Fan Edits? Is this possible? Is there interest?

ClarkWayne

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hello everyone!
I'm just spit-balling here, but would it be against the rules to start organizing Zoom screenings of Fan Edits, possibly with the editors? You know, similar to what Zack Snyder did with his JL director's cut. I'm floating this here to see if there is any interest and by chance an admin sees this and might have some insight as to the black and white lines for rules around this.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think live screenings have been done before, though not widely. I don't think it's against the rules, those attending should own the source obviously. I'd be interested in hearing how this works out, if the video plays smoothly and the audio is acceptable on the viewer's end, etc. Sounds cool.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Same. I know that a few members have done this in the past. I'm not sure the video is smooth during the meeting though. I've tried plex and jellyfin to do a watch party, but my upload speeds aren't high enough apparently.

morrigan

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've found Discord a relatively stable way to stream to a private audience, which then also has the provision for audio and text chat. But it will probably always come down to upload speeds.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frink did a preview of his ROTR work print over discord, but it took some time to fix the lag and still got laggy for some people (probably due to the number of people on the call).

I often watch films with friends online and we nearly always resort to each person having their own offline copy of the film and one of us saying "3, 2, 1, play". Assuming they can count, you are more or less synced (give or take a second) and its always worked well for me. Less flashy, but much more reliable than a stream.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A google drive version might be able to provide a base file to stream and then a zoom or discord connection to share immediate responses/reactions?

ClarkWayne

Reaction score
Trophy Points
A google drive version might be able to provide a base file to stream and then a zoom or discord connection to share immediate responses/reactions?
That's a good idea. If lag exists it would likely show up in the zoom rather than the video stream since video buffered a few seconds ahead. Might have to use a "lower" quality file to keep the size down and optimize for streaming.

matbrady

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd be very keen to see a live stream of a fan edit. Is there a place we can check up and see who's doing a Zoom session? That sounds exciting. It would be especially cool to chat to the editor while we're watching their fan-edit.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jellyfin has a sync feature that allows multiple people to watch the same video at the same time. Speed depends on your upload speeds though.

sigh_riss

Reaction score
Trophy Points
If everyone has a vr headset, Bigscreen can have multiple people together to watch a movie in a virtual theater. You can host a private room so they'd need a password to get in.

Top Bottom