• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Your Most Satisfying Edit

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi everyone, sorry I haven't posted for a while (things have been kinda mental, hope you understand).

Anyway, I thought I'd make my first post of the year a general one for all the editors out there. Having done a few edits myself I've always had mixed feelings about the end results.

For example, I felt the many changes & edits I made to the Star Wars prequals made the films better compared to the orginals. But, I felt conflicted with my films because when I judge my edited SW films as films in their own right I find them... well... a little boring. :|

Where as I only a made a few changes & edits to Superman 2 & I was much happier with the end result. :)

So I was wondering how other Fan Editors out there felt about their many works. You know, which one you're happiest with, the one you felt you could have done better on, that sort of thing.

wb, FM, people have been asking for you (especially because your RS links don't seem to work anymore).

This could be a loooong answer from me, but I am just going to pick a bit out of the entire contents of my fanediting process.

What I discover is that when my capabilities develop more and more I have new ideas and ambitions for the projects already finished, so it looks like I ma never really done with a fanedit. They are just completed for the exact moment when they were completed and just a little while after that.
Of course I am quite happy with the results my CBB GROUP has achieved in fanediting, I am very proud of most fanedits we created, most of all for
STAR TREK KIRKLESS GENERATION, because that was really a tough one and the remake of this fanedit made it complete and perfect for what it is.
BLADE 3 BEHEAD THE KING EDITION, because it was so difficult and challenging to find something in this mess worth preserving and retelling.
CREASY, because it gave us a movie we wanted to see and still want to see, whereas the original is lost in the dust.
Then there are a few that woudl have needed further improvement and still might get it:
HANNIBALIZED: the extended scenes still look not good enough and can be clearly spotted.
WAR OF THE WORLDS - THE EXTINCTIVE CUT: bad image quality and some flaws cause me to be unsatisfied. This will be remade soon.
HIGH TENSION MINUS ONE EDIT: our new ending was too fast, besides that, it is just great.

There is no fanedit I regret being part of and nothing I find embarrassing about them. Fanediting is the art I like best.

I'm still happiest with Pearl Harbor, though I really like Dracula and Superman Redeemed as of late. There are things I've since learned about Dracula that could have improved the tricky spot around the "attack" on Mina, but still, when I watched it after completing it I really felt like THIS was the novel set on celluloid.

Meanwhile, I watched Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 this year after not seeing it for a year. Having forgotten so many of the places where I did cut, for the first time I was able to watch it just as a film and I really loved the result. I keep thinking of giving it to my neighbor, who was a career naval non-com from WWII through Vietnam. His basement is painted just like a warship and is a museum to all things Navy. I've only met him once so it would be odd to surprise him with a "present" like this ... but I figured he of all people might appreciate it most of all.

ADigitalMan said:
I'm still happiest with Pearl Harbor, though I really like Dracula and Superman Redeemed as of late. There are things I've since learned about Dracula that could have improved the tricky spot around the "attack" on Mina, but still, when I watched it after completing it I really felt like THIS was the novel set on celluloid.

Meanwhile, I watched Pearl Harbor on Dec. 7 this year after not seeing it for a year. Having forgotten so many of the places where I did cut, for the first time I was able to watch it just as a film and I really loved the result. I keep thinking of giving it to my neighbor, who was a career naval non-com from WWII through Vietnam. His basement is painted just like a warship and is a museum to all things Navy. I've only met him once so it would be odd to surprise him with a "present" like this ... but I figured he of all people might appreciate it most of all.

Gotta agree with you there ADM, Pearl Harbor is probably your best edit. I do not understand how the movie could've been so bad after seeing yours.

boon23 said:
wb, FM, people have been asking for you (especially because your RS links don't seem to work anymore).

Thats a bummer. I only set up a basic account with RS & I think what happens is if a file isn't downloaded after 30 days it gets deleted from their system. Looks like I'm gonna have to learn how to make torrents afterall :eek:

do not understand how the movie could've been so bad after seeing yours.

I think this comment sums up the main motivation to do an edit. After The Phatom Edit started the ball rolling a lot of people started thinking "That film would of been great, if only that hadn't...." & then they acted on it.

For me that's why doing a fan edit can be a double edged sword. On the one hand the feeling you get from bringing the best out of movie & making it the film it should of been in the first place is very satisfying. On the other hand, if you've worked on a movie that you were sure would be excellent after your edit, but it turns out to be a bit boring, it's quite a downer.

I think the choice of movie therefore is really important. There's no point in taking a shite film & trying to rescue it, because lets face some films can't be rescued. It's better IMO to take an average film & try make it into an excellent film.

Back
Top Bottom