• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Your favorite film probably no one has seen

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've been wondering now that I am starting my first edit of an obviously well known, Triple A budget film, what is your favorite film that probably no one has heard of? I'm not talking ironically favorite film like in an RLM video. I'm talking about for real. I just love this one film and wonder if any of you have ever seen it.

So, I'll start: He Died with a Felafel in His Hand (2001). I love this movie so much, and it came out 20 years ago this year... along with Jurassic Park 3.

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I doubt anyone else has seen 2008's Mock Up On Mu, the fantastic collage film by Craig Baldwin, really the ultimate fanedit in a sense. I bought the DVD some months ago after previously watching it on Prime via a free trial for some premium channel there, it came with a handwritten note from the director, and the commentary track is very rad. I definitely recommend checking it out, or at least reading about it because it's a really fascinating unconventional piece of art. I've also watched Baldwin's Spectres of the Spectrum, but I didn't enjoy it as much.
0408211502.jpg

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A favorite from my youth.
Based on a book by Astrid Lindgren, author of "Pippi Longstocking". Lindgren wrote the book after she saw a lonely boy sitting on a park bench in Stockholm, Sweden. She wondered what he was doing there, who he was, and where he would end up, and that gave birth to the story of Prince Mio. The bench on which the boy sat can still be found in Stockholm today, marked with a sign saying "Mio sat here".

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue (1997) is one of my favourite films and at the time of first watching was pretty obscure, but seems to have gained quite a bit more popularity in recent years. Sword of the Stranger is also a criminally underrated and wonderfully animated Samurai epic. It's incidental that both films are anime - I'm not actually a big anime nut at all.

Other than that, most of my favourite films are pretty obvious, mainstream/classic choices. This is ironic considering how many of my peers consider me to be a snob who shuns Hollywood and only watches obscure foreign language films.

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A great thread , i always love a recommendation. - i haven't seen any of the above but you have got me curious to see them. My daughter is heavily into Anime and i bought Perfect Blue (if you cant beat them join them) but its still sitting in the wrapper ready for me to finally watch. I always loved this little gem of a film i found in a corner shop bargain bin about 20 years ago

Last Impressions

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure if these movies are great lost films but they don't seem pretty mainstream either, i adore all of them.

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This Man Must Die (1969).

Last edited:

Dawnrazor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My favorite movie from my youth is also from the swedish author Astrid Lindgren and is based on the book "The Brothers Lionheart".
it's a children's book but handle some heavy themes about death and the afterlife.
Most of the movie takes place in the afterlife in a place called "Nangijala"
The movie came in 1977 and I will always love it despite it has it's flaws (the dragon was build in cardboard as looks awful and the black knights looks awful too dressed in black and purple (yes PURPLE). Why just not keep them Black?

There are plans for a remake by Tomas Alfredson but it's still in development but I really hope it gets made so the whole world can see this movie because I think this was only released in Skandinavia and maybe in some other parts of Europe.

When children have passed away in Sweden you can often see the inscription " We will meet again in Nangijala" on their gravestones.

Last edited:

Dawnrazor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A favorite from my youth.
Based on a book by Astrid Lindgren, author of "Pippi Longstocking". Lindgren wrote the book after she saw a lonely boy sitting on a park bench in Stockholm, Sweden. She wondered what he was doing there, who he was, and where he would end up, and that gave birth to the story of Prince Mio. The bench on which the boy sat can still be found in Stockholm today, marked with a sign saying "Mio sat here".
I have seen this movie Starring Christopher Lee and a very young Christian Bale.
I still prefer "The Brothers Lionheart" both as book and movie.

Last edited:

INIGHTMARES

FE Academy Member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue (1997) is one of my favourite films and at the time of first watching was pretty obscure, but seems to have gained quite a bit more popularity in recent years. Sword of the Stranger is also a criminally underrated and wonderfully animated Samurai epic. It's incidental that both films are anime - I'm not actually a big anime nut at all.

Other than that, most of my favourite films are pretty obvious, mainstream/classic choices. This is ironic considering how many of my peers consider me to be a snob who shuns Hollywood and only watches obscure foreign language films.
I am kinda like you.. but I've shamefully not seen Perfect Blue, yet. I am not a huge anime guy but sometimes the film is just amazing and happens to be animated. Probably also obscure, but maybe not for you. Have you seen Metropolis (2001) or Princess (2006)? Not only is Princess animated but it's in Danish.
46995-metropolis-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

bb_d__0_Princess.jpg

I highly recommend both.

Another foreign, not anime, Danish film I recommend is Flame & Citron (2008). It has our boy Mads in it.
71uvaI1KdRL.__AC_SY300_QL70_ML2_.jpg

I'm adding all these recommendations from everyone to the ever growing list..

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My tastes are also pretty mainstream, but I really love the 2007 indie road trip rom-com Wristcutters: A Love Story. The premise is everyone who's completed suicide finds themselves in a purgatory that's just like the normal world, but generally a bit worse: there are no stars, people aren't able to smile, and everyone's jobs suck. ("I've thought of killing myself again," one character muses, "but I don't want to end up in a place even s***tier than this.")

I first watched it at just the right time, during the lowest point in my life (though I personally entirely lack the ability to self-harm), but I'm quite sure it holds up as a sweet, low-key romantic fable, a sort of millennial Harold and Maude.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am kinda like you.. but I've shamefully not seen Perfect Blue, yet. I am not a huge anime guy but sometimes the film is just amazing and happens to be animated. Probably also obscure, but maybe not for you. Have you seen Metropolis (2001) or Princess (2006)? Not only is Princess animated but it's in Danish.
46995-metropolis-0-230-0-345-crop.jpg

bb_d__0_Princess.jpg

I highly recommend both.

Everything by Satoshi Kon is a must watch IMO.

I've not seen Princess. Sounds heavy! I've seen both Fritz Lang's Metropolis and Rintaro's version. I reviewed the anime here: https://letterboxd.com/scribblingman/film/metropolis-2001/

Last edited:

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Satoshi Kon's Perfect Blue (1997) is one of my favourite films and at the time of first watching was pretty obscure, but seems to have gained quite a bit more popularity in recent years.
I see your Perfect Blue and raise you Tokyo Godfathers. Legit my favorite animated film period and probably one of (if not my) favorite films.

rawWwRrr

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Blood, Guts, Bullets & Octane

Joe Carnahan's 1998 Sundance submission that he wrote, directed, produced, and starred in. Before he did Narc and Smokin' Aces he self-financed this film about two over-the-top used car salesman at a failing dealership that are given a simple job that could net them a high payout. But as things normally go, things go South quickly as they find themselves on the receiving end of a lot of unwanted attention.

You can find some clips of it on YouTube and the Sundance "trailer" is below.

I try to recommend it whenever I can.

Top Bottom