• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

your connection speed

dhr001

Reaction score
Trophy Points

from my home. Damn boon, thats some download you got there eh? i thought i was fast.

boon23

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
yeah, but your upload speed totally rocks, dhr001. Yours is also cool Cassidy.
I would trade my downlaod speed for a faster upload speed any day.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points

This is why I am an uploader. This speed is just my wireless laptop. I will post my desktop's speed later

5acrifice

Reaction score
Trophy Points

if this is my speed why do i dl at between 5 kb/s to 150 kb/s and upload just as slow?

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Maybe your ISP throttles bandwidth on torrents or large DL's?

5acrifice

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cassidy said:

well it takes me forever to dl a DVD torrent and then seed it to the correct ratio.. so by the time i finish downloading one film... 40 others have been torrented. I use Azureus and a Powermac G5. Any suggestions on how to really boost my connection. Cause I would more than love to help out and become a seeder

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Cassidy said:

this might be exactly the problem. If i remember correctly i did hear about optimum throttling bandwidth of larger files. 5acrifice with your kind of nadwidth you should be able to upload a sl. dvd is about 3 hours and download a sl dvd in about 2 hours.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
unfortunately it can't be fixed. what throttling bandwidth means is your internet provider only allows a certain speed for files over a certain size.

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tell me about it. I find the quickest way is to download individual rapidshare files even with a free account. The waiting between downloads is a pain, but by my timing you get it faster since torrent speeds fluctuate a lot.

Finn

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I dunno, Rapidshare has its problems as well.
Personally I prefer Torrent as my connection has a tendency to cut off the net randomly. Often the only way to make it work is to manually disconnect and then re-connect the cable from the modem.
As such, its more reliable just to leave bit-torrent on all night.
Rapidshare seems to work ok, but again, since my machine cuts off occasionally it means I lose the entire download since I can't use getright without buying a premium membership.

Its just not worth the hassle.

Cassidy

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Though I've not figured it out myself, apparently there is a workaround for bandwidth throttling involving port forwarding and the use of private trackers.

I don't know - ports are a tricky thing to mess around with unless you don't know what you're doing.

casualimp

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've done the port forwarding on my router and the most I'll ever get is 32kb/s so it's really not worth it for me. I just don't have that amount of patience.

NexPhr3ak0r

Reaction score
Trophy Points
casualimp said:
I've done the port forwarding on my router and the most I'll ever get is 32kb/s so it's really not worth it for me. I just don't have that amount of patience.

if you are on a windows machine have you tried the lvllord patch. You allow windows to have capability for more incoming connections thus increasing your possible speed. Also i use peerguardian to block the bad connections so that helps because this way i only connect with good connections. I have also done the port forwarding on the router.

Top Bottom