• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

X-Men: The Dark Stand

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Original Version:

dpdslog.png

An idea I brain-stormed in between sorting out my Licence Retained edit, mainly done as a proof-of-concept creative exercise. It's been placed here because the end credits only cover the Last Stand portion of the movie and not the DP segment, this is mostly as a placeholder should the day ever come where I go through the time-consuming process of creating custom credits. The workprint I found also had a minor continuity error (Bill Duke is still called Trask in one scene), another issue was the fact Angel is still in this but he dies in Apocalypse...however, you can just assume, because it's a different actor and doesn't speak in this edit, he's descended from the Angel in the 80s...or you could assume Angel survived the events of Apocalypse and hung around in the mansion, having never aged due to Apocalypse's advanced sciences that altered him into Archangel. It's comics. He got better. End of discussion.

I merged Dark Phoenix with X-Men: The Last Stand to function as a third in the trilogy that began with Days of Future Past and continued with Apocalypse.

Cut List

-Film begins with the first fifty-four minutes of Dark Phoenix, only without the aliens popping up

-The DP footage comes to an end when Teen Jean departs Magneto’s island, from there Last Stand footage begins with the Danger Room sequence (because it has the line “the not too distant future” at the start to indicate the passage of time)

-Scott’s PTSD over Jean is now repurposed. Instead of seeing her drown, he sees her absorb the Phoenix force in space. Scott departs the X-Mansion to clear his head (we know he returns in DOFP’s final scene so we’re good)

-Logan knows of Jean in this timeline as a continuity nod to their meeting in X-Men Apocalypse. There is no romantic connection between them this time.

-Beast’s visit to the X-Mansion in the present day is now much more formal due to the tension between Hank and Charles in the past. Exchange with Logan shortened

-Instead of seeking out Mystique, Magneto seeks out Jean.

-Xavier ‘sensing’ Jean at the lake moved to after Magneto and Jean have a conversation at Magneto’s base camp. Blackbird arrives at the lake and Logan storms the camp looking for Jean. Gets involved in fights.

-Film proceeds apace, Magneto and his forces attack Alcatraz, X-Men suit up to stop them. We see Warren Worthington, but he has more of a mystery about him, now he’s just a student at Xavier’s school wanting a piece of the action and help out where he can.

-Logan and Jean’s meeting from X-Men Apocalypse inserted into his final battle with Phoenix. Memories of this allows Jean to regain control and beg Logan to save her. He stabs her.

-Jean is only wounded, not killed. We see her back at the mansion being tended to by Xavier. Teen Jean voice-over about evolution plays over Jean’s comatose body as Logan watches her. We’re led to believe Jean will recover and reunite with Scott, which we see in the final scenes of Days of Future Past.

-Last Stand ending is as normal. Post-credit scene removed (Xavier doesn’t die, so no need for it), Last Stand end credits used throughout as a placeholder.

password: fanedit

Last edited:

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thought I'd share with you guys some feedback I got on this:

Reviews from SDN Editions

i dont know how any person could’ve thought of this. last stand is missing a lot of dark phoenix and you fixed that as well as cleaned up the xmen timeline a bit more

From Reddit

I suppose it'd be hard to actually show the rest of the Dark Phoenix stuff without incorporating the aliens, wouldn't it. Pretty good edit though.

From a PM I was sent on Freaking Awesome Network

I just finished your edit and I did enjoy it. Dark Phoenix really was better without the alien part of it. Something I would have kept back in though would be Beast's meeting with Jimmy at the lab. That just gives a emotional beat for Beast and lets us connect to Jimmy a little more. I'd have also kept in at least the scene where Angel refuses to take the cure. I get having him just be more mysterious, but keeping that scene then gives him saving his dad more weight especially since that's the only thing he does during the final battle. Otherwise I did enjoy it! Only fan edit of a movie I've seen so far.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm very pleased to say that this edit has inspired the work of others

Over on the fanediting reddit page, a member called jimbojka is putting together "The Rise and Fall of the Dark Phoenix" and has credited me with inspiring it. The film will use not just footage from Dark Phoenix and Last Stand and Apocalypse as I did, but also use footage from 'The Wolverine' (I think I may have an idea of what he'll use from that) he's also remixing the score, which is something a little bit beyond my reach. While my edit ended optimistically, his will take a darker turn.

I am very honoured that this edit influenced his creativity. I'll have to reupoload it and make it available again (I took it down to save space) so there can be comparisons

Last edited by a moderator:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm very pleased to say that this edit has inspired the work of others

Over on the fanediting reddit page, a member called jimbojka is putting together "The Rise and Fall of the Dark Phoenix" and has credited me with inspiring it. The film will use not just footage from Dark Phoenix and Last Stand and Apocalypse as I did, but also use footage from 'The Wolverine' (I think I may have an idea of what he'll use from that) he's also remixing the score, which is something a little bit beyond my reach. While my edit ended optimistically, his will take a darker turn.

I am very honoured that this edit influenced his creativity. I'll have to reupoload it and make it available again (I took it down to save space) so there can be comparisons
Zarius, I removed the link to the reddit user. The link you shared had direct links to other edits in it which violates our rules.

Neat to see that your ideas are shared by others.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius, I removed the link to the reddit user. The link you shared had direct links to other edits in it which violates our rules.

Neat to see that your ideas are shared by others.
Whoops, wasn't my intention to do that, sorry.

And thanks

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen five minutes of the reddit version and already it's better than mine. I got a little giddy seeing the dedication to me and this edit at the start!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's my review of the "Rise and Fall of Dark Phoenix" edit, from reddit:

Seen it. Here are my thoughts:

I think you've created in all probability the best fan cut so far of this concept, this certainly aims higher than mine did, it's of a higher quality, with the score being mixed in very professionally. I also really liked the callbacks to the beginning with Wolverine going infra-red when dealing with Magneto's henchman in the forest, that was an awesome effect and gave the whole thing a badass feel.

I liked how you were still able to use more of DP for LS footage, such as Mcavoy Xavier entering young Jean's mind while Stewart and Jensen are duelling in the house. It's a nice way of joining the two worlds in the film, showing us how it's all very much the same coat the film is wearing.

There were some things that I didn't even notice were gone from the story, which just shows how 'necessary' they really were (no rogue or weird Bobby/Kitty romance)

Lastly, your ending was perfect, right down to using the Jean footage from The Wolverine, another callback to the start. Continuity and attention-to-detail goes far in telling a great story and you told it. Tragic, impactful, and beautiful.

Now, and I hate this bit, a couple of critiques:

When Jean and Scott reunite at the lake, I did hear a bit of a hard cut/glitch in the score, might want to give that another polish.

I also think the split screen for the fight sequences, while very innovative, went on far too long. Try to make that more of an 'event' effect and use it when absolutely necessary.

Those niggles aside, I am honoured that my frankenstien edit inspired a much superior, sharper, and bolder vision. Thanks for sharing your passion with us all, I hope I can inspire you again one day, and the same goes for anyone else you're impressed with, because I know they'll be treated to a welcome surprise if you ever do improve on something they've done. Cheers

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A second version of the "Rise & Fall of the Dark Phoenix" edit from Jimbo has been published online. It has less distractions this time around and is a much more fulfilling film

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've decided to do a page one rebuild of this, this version will go by "Dark Stand"

download.png

Changes from the original are

1. Film opens with Warren Worthington as a child and his father discovering his son is a mutant, setting up his involvement in the cure storyline later
2. 'Last Stand' Titles, followed by young Jean from the 1970s (Dark Phoenix), we follow her through the car accident and meeting Charles
3. Flash Forward to Jean and the team meeting Wolverine/Weapon X during his rampage in 1983, Jean calms his mind (X-Men: Apocalypse)
4. Cut to space shuttle rescue/Jean is empowered by the Phoenix (Dark Phoenix), movie plays out as normal until Jean departs Eric's island and Xavier is cut off from the white house, we cut out the aliens
5. Not too distant future/Danger room sequence opens the second half of the film
6. References to Jean dying are cut (Last Stand)
7. References to Logan and Beast not knowing each other cut (Last Stand)
8. Scenes and references to Raven in The Last Stand cut as she's dead
9. References to Xavier being killed cut as he doesn't die in this one
10. A good chunk of the cure storyline cut to quicken the pace
11. Logan's pep talk to the remaining X-Men cut as he mentions losing Scott and Jean
12. Logan saying "I Love You" to Jean before he stabs her cut, he is simply grateful to what she did for him during the Weapon X rampage
13. Jean in med bay scene moved to just after Jean is stabbed, she does not die, she is wounded, and Xavier is seen putting the mental blocks in place
14. Scott and Jean's reunion moved to the very end. Film cuts to credits while they kiss. Scott's grizzly murder cut. Happily ever after for the whole franchise.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks like you have 4 or more active ITW threads. If you identify which additional threads you'd like to archive, we can then move your requested threads back to ITW.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
It looks like you have 4 or more active ITW threads. If you identify which additional threads you'd like to archive, we can then move your requested threads back to ITW.
Wow, didn't know I'd left a trail like that, sure give me a moment and I'll find ones to close

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've identified the threads I want archived.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Alright, we're in business!

I ran a preview of the current draft over to a friend on reddit and he enjoyed it. I still think it needs work, but I'm willing to share what I have so far. I also have the original workprint I made years ago available so you could compare if you want.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here's a test intro for the improved IFDB version

password: phoenix

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

How we transition from Apocalypse to Dark Phoenix

password: phoenix