• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

X-Men: Dead Phoenix & Once Upon A Phoenix

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
x-men-dead-phoenix.jpg

Months back, clickbait merchants and rumour mongers were keen to share news that there would be some kind of Deadpool connection in the ill-fated Dark Phoenix movie. While this somewhat manifested a year earlier in Deadpool 2 with the X-Men's cameo in that film, there was no surprise cameo from Wade for this.

So while binging both movies I worked out a way of integrating several choice scenes from Deadpool 2 into a cut of Dark Phoenix that gives the movie not just something that brings two well received X-Film franchises together (and yes, the fact both of these films have the same initials in their titles doesn't escape me), but also provides closure to the series that doesn't corrupt the timeline the way the original version of Dark Phoenix did, and also sets up a hypothetical fifth film in the First Class timeline to show the saga of the X-Men really ought to have continued.

Two other minor tweeks aside, I left the rest of the movie alone
Cutlist

Added FANEDIT.ORG Logo to beginning

-Cut the 'X-Women' lines from Raven

-Integrated the Deadpool and Colossus scene from Deadpool 2 where the X-Men narrowly avoid being seen by Wade

-Just after we meet the aliens , I Integrated the scene where Colossus tries to persuade Wade into joining the team on a mission, with Wade saying bad things will happen, this leads directly into the scene the X-Men first confront Jean and Raven is killed

-End credits feature a very special performance of Celine Dion's 'Ashes' from Deadpool 2

-Deadpool uses Cable's time device to change history and undo the events of the film.

-Post-credits is Cable time-jumping from the future to the present to set that part up. The saga continues
-

Last edited:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yes! I was really hoping someone would release an edit today as the last edit of the year. Not just that, but this seems like a really cool edit. I had no intention of ever watching Dark Phoenix, but this may be enough to persuade me. Now I just need a good edit of Apocalypse.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Yes! I was really hoping someone would release an edit today as the last edit of the year. Not just that, but this seems like a really cool edit. I had no intention of ever watching Dark Phoenix, but this may be enough to persuade me. Now I just need a good edit of Apocalypse.

Thanks for the interest as always

This is simultaneously the last release of the year and the first IFDB entry of 2020 too, given the updates happen over the weekend :)

About the only continuity niggle in this edit depends on being a fan of My Little Pony (Fluttershy came out in 2003, not 1992)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
About the only continuity niggle in this edit depends on being a fan of My Little Pony (Fluttershy came out in 2003, not 1992)

Damn it, you ruined it. I can't watch this now.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
jrWHAG42 said:
Zarius said:

Damn it, you ruined it. I can't watch this now.

Don't worry, it's Deadpool that makes the reference, forth-wall breaks/continuity breaks are what he does :)

Also, just completed a brand new ending for this film that doesn't make it much of a downer after all! :) (check the cutlist)

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Turns out I was wrong, Fluttershy isn't mentioned in the movie, Pinkie Pie is, d'oh. :dodgy:

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Turns out I was wrong, Fluttershy isn't mentioned in the movie, Pinkie Pie is, d'oh. :dodgy:

Then it's perfect!

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like a fun edit!  But I think it's a missed opportunity on the title.  Should've been <ahem>:

"X-Men: A DP/DP D.P."

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'd like to thank Digimodification for his honest, if brutal, review of the edit upon my request. I don't get many reviews so any feedback I get, positive or negative, is welcome. I'm sorry the edit wasn't for you.

That said, I do think the whole point of the exercise was that the Deadpool stuff wasn't supposed to make sense, that's just what Deadpool is, it was meant to add levity to a dry and humourless movie.

This wasn't an edit for a casual member of the audience, it was an edit for fans. I don't make edits for casuals, I make them for fans like me.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm sorry you felt it was brutal. I try to give honest feedback as I would hope to get the same from others. I think the main things that I felt were off could be addressed by sharing editing examples in your project threads before submitting the edit. That way we can all give constructive feedback. The more eyes, ears, and minds that can digest your ideas, the better feedback you can get and opportunity to build on or improve areas.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
That said, I do think the whole point of the exercise was that the Deadpool stuff wasn't supposed to make sense, that's just what Deadpool is, it was meant to add levity to a dry and humourless movie.

This wasn't an edit for a casual member of the audience, it was an edit for fans. I don't make edits for casuals, I make them for fans like me.

In response to the edited content of your post, yes, but you still need to preserve some connection between the two. Saying that it's supposed to not make sense just seems odd and makes me then ask why attempt to insert footage if you know it's going to be jarring and not work? As a fan of the X-MEN from a very early age, reading your purpose of editing as only being for the fans leaves me to assume that we don't share the same definition of fan.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
DigModiFicaTion said:
Zarius said:

In response to the edited content of your post, yes, but you still need to preserve some connection between the two. Saying that it's supposed to not make sense just seems odd and makes me then ask why attempt to insert footage if you know it's going to be jarring and not work? As a fan of the X-MEN from a very early age, reading your purpose of editing as only being for the fans leaves me to assume that we don't share the same definition of fan.

Sorry for that post Digi, it came from a bit of an emotional place. I regret the tone of what I wrote now, it seemed pretty defensive.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've decided to revisit this edit with an entirely new approach, it's now going to be Wade reading the story of Dark Phoenix to Fred Savage. You won't believe how well most of what I left in from Once Upon A Deadpool fits this narrative (things like Fred commenting on Scott and Jean's romance as well as Mystique's fridging) I was tempted again to use some of Deadpool in the mansion from DP 2, but this time I've resisted it and stuck just to the bedtime readings for his scenes.

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
A look at how some of the OUAD scenes work with this footage (don't want to spoil)

password: fanedit

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My only worry is that as a viewer, I might want to hurry up and skip through the horrible Dark Phoenix scenes to get to the brief, good Deadpool bits....

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there any way to turn it into almost an MST3K version of Dark Phoenix? Like, have Deadpool interrupt in the middle of a scene, maybe even just to make a "facial" expression, then cut back. Maybe even repurpose comments of his from wherever and use them out of context to just kind of play it like he's gently mocking the sappy melodrama of it all...?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Is there any way to turn it into almost an MST3K version of Dark Phoenix? Like, have Deadpool interrupt in the middle of a scene, maybe even just to make a "facial" expression, then cut back. Maybe even repurpose comments of his from wherever and use them out of context to just kind of play it like he's gently mocking the sappy melodrama of it all...?
Perhaps something can be mined from the Deadpool Free Guy trailer reaction?

I've always wanted to use "Where are the f*cking dogs?"

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I feel like maybe in the credits or somewhere there'd be space for this?-

And maybe if you just want some mocking voiceover comments, you could pull from here:

Top Bottom