• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

X-Men: Days of Future Past - A Dugnutt Edit

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"Bobson Dugnutt is making something that isn't an extended edition, I'm shocked!" - Probably someone

An untitled edit of Days of Future Past that takes out a few little bits and pieces to make the (arguably) one of the best X-Men films even better. 

- cut Colossus' metallic delivery of "Mystique"
- regraded Vietnam sequence to tone down the harsh yellow look
- cut Gwen in the car "Jimmy why you talking crazy back there"
- cut "if only you had the internet"
- cut Quicksilver's sister "I'm a princess, I'm the Wolverine"
- regrade the Pentagon and Quicksilver scenes to tone down the blue look 
- cut "what?, Whip. Lash."
- cut the Magneto/Quicksilver elevator banter
- cut Magneto's disapproving look of Wolverine's claws
- cut "imagine if they were made of metal"
- cut the entire scene of Mystique seducing and choking out the Vietnamese ambassador. Simply have her surprisingly show up at the peace treaty meeting. 
- cut 70s Wolverine waking back up so it doesn't ruin the time travel logic that the film creates. He simply has a bit of PTSD when he sees Stryker
- cut all traces of Rogue, restoring it to how it was originally was in the theatrical cut. Sadly she doesn't add much to the plot despite the offical extended being named after her
- cut the self-referential close up of Star Trek on Hank's TV
- cut the few scenes of Mystique going back to the X-Mansion and any subsequent scenes relating to it
- cut "wow, all three channels" 
- cut Charles talking with the vet about their injuries
- cut shot of Trask looking at the real Nixon as to also surprise us with Mystique being someone else. 

I'm iffy about cutting Wolverine's freakout at the Paris Peace Conference, the scene flows a lot faster and is focused on Mystique/Magneto/Beast tussling instead of his weird PTSD, but then there is the though of why is Wolverine doing anything. He isn't in any shots except the start of the scene, so maybe it works. 

Here's the new reveal of Mystique Nixon, might need to move the lines around a little bit

Title recommendations always welcome too

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Added back the small beat of Magneto seeing the coin he shoved through Kevin Bacon's head from First Class. This was only in the Rogue Cut interspersed with the Rogue Breakout sequence, but now it's back here. 

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Here’s an idea, what if you added Magneto’s theme from First Class to the film? I think it’d be perfect.

Uncanny Antman

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
"I'm iffy about cutting Wolverine's freakout at the Paris Peace Conference"

Personally, I'd advocate cutting it due to plot reasons.  It's established at the beginning of the film that when Kitty does her time-phase trick, that everything plays out in real time until she breaks the connection.  When she does sever ties with the past, the new future snaps into place immediately.  

But during the Paris sequence '70s Logan wakes up in his own body for a few minutes, which means that all the changes they had made so far should have suddenly formed a concrete future.  But it doesn't, which don't make no sense given the "rules" the movie sets up.  If it were me, I'd keep Logan's reaction to Stryker, his little panic attack, and Kitty saying that he's slipping, but drop everything about him waking up.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Might you regrade the movie to remove the green blanket tint like KK650 did?

Here are some screenshot comparisons showing the difference between the Blu-ray (top) and KK650's regrade (bottom):

h0bwMgY.jpg

ViUfiva.jpg

e13dqgh.jpg

3zDzhPn.jpg

k8auwk9.jpg

SauhrX6.jpg

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Uncanny Antman said:
"I'm iffy about cutting Wolverine's freakout at the Paris Peace Conference"

Personally, I'd advocate cutting it due to plot reasons.  It's established at the beginning of the film that when Kitty does her time-phase trick, that everything plays out in real time until she breaks the connection.  When she does sever ties with the past, the new future snaps into place immediately.  

But during the Paris sequence '70s Logan wakes up in his own body for a few minutes, which means that all the changes they had made so far should have suddenly formed a concrete future.  But it doesn't, which don't make no sense given the "rules" the movie sets up.  If it were me, I'd keep Logan's reaction to Stryker, his little panic attack, and Kitty saying that he's slipping, but drop everything about him waking up.

I didn't want to cut it because I thought it added some nice tension throughout as Kitty wouldn't last forever with her injuries and could lose grip of Wolverine, setting up a new potentially worse future. But you do bring up a good point about the movie breaking it's own time travel rules as the future should snap into place right way. 

Here's a new cut of the scene with the Stryker panic attack remaining, but the waking up and talking to Prof X gone. 

hbenthow said:
Might you regrade the movie to remove the green blanket tint like KK650 did?

Here are some screenshot comparisons showing the difference between the Blu-ray (top) and KK650's regrade (bottom)

I have regraded the film seperately from KK650, but to a similar effect. Comparison here.

hLJP9YH.png

nrYtiTE.jpg
QzNHCL2.jpg

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Here’s an idea, what if you added Magneto’s theme from First Class to the film? I think it’d be perfect.

Something like this?

I don’t mind this idea at all, it’s pretty nice and the Magneto theme is a little terrifying

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking of musical themes, what about adding renditions of the X-Men theme from "X-Men 2" (which also had a score composed by John Ottman) to a few of the more heroic moments?

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
Masirimso17 said:

Something like this?

I don’t mind this idea at all, it’s pretty nice and the Magneto theme is a little terrifying

Yes! I was also thinking about adding it to the scene Magneto lifts the stadium, that would be amazing

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:
- cut the few scenes of Mystique going back to the X-Mansion and any subsequent scenes relating to it
- cut the conversation on the plane with Charles and Wolverine about finding them. Feels like it doesn't add much to me

So you're essentially editing the theatrical cut? Are you sure? I personally think the added Mystique scenes add very much to her and Beast's character development and connects to First Class perfectly, something that I felt was a little missing in the theatrical version. Also I think both those scenes & the "find the X-Men" scene with Logan and Xavier helps the resolution, which culminates into a perfect finale to the X-Men series (Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix don't count!) If you are going to cut it though you should also cut old Xavier saying "Well, I had a promise to keep!"

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:
- cut the conversation on the plane with Charles and Wolverine about finding them. Feels like it doesn't add much to me

So you're essentially editing the theatrical cut? Are you sure? I personally think the added Mystique scenes add very much to her and Beast's character development and connects to First Class perfectly, something that I felt was a little missing in the theatrical version. Also I think both those scenes & the "find the X-Men" scene with Logan and Xavier helps the resolution, which culminates into a perfect finale to the X-Men series (Apocalypse and Dark Phoenix don't count!) If you are going to cut it though you should also cut old Xavier saying "Well, I had a promise to keep!"

Well I suppose it is the theatrical cut with about 3 minutes of the RC footage including 

- Extended shots of a tribute wall to deceased mutants in the future
- Extended discussion on the ramifications of sending Wolverine back and changing the past
- Extended conversation with Iceman and Kitty about how demanding it'll be to send him back
- Uncut version of Wolverine's rampage on the mob members
- Beast and Prof X laugh at Wolverine about the whole time travel plot
- Prof X recalls Wolverine as a "Tall, angry fellow with the contentious hair"
- Some new Nixon profanity
- Prof X threatening to find Mystique and forcibly stopping her
- Magneto seeing the coin he shoved through Kevin Bacon's head in FC, now housed in the Pentagon next to his helmet 
- New tracking shot of RFK stadium being lifted by Magneto
- Mid-credits scene with Trask in Magneto's former cell

I don't like the new Beast and Mystique footage because it slows the pace of the film right down as the story doesn't really move forwards at all, so I nixed it

But I did reinstert the "find the X-Men" scene when I put the Wolverine freakout back. I noticed it was the reason that the future was changed with everyone being alive again cause Wolverine blatantly told him that things should be different.

hbenthow said:
Speaking of musical themes, what about adding renditions of the X-Men theme from "X-Men 2" (which also had a score composed by John Ottman) to a few of the more heroic moments?

Do you have any particular spots that you feel it should go in?

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
Bobson Dugnutt said:

Well I suppose it is the theatrical cut with about 3 minutes of the RC footage including 

- Extended shots of a tribute wall to deceased mutants in the future
- Extended discussion on the ramifications of sending Wolverine back and changing the past
- Extended conversation with Iceman and Kitty about how demanding it'll be to send him back
- Uncut version of Wolverine's rampage on the mob members
- Beast and Prof X laugh at Wolverine about the whole time travel plot
- Prof X recalls Wolverine as a "Tall, angry fellow with the contentious hair"
- Some new Nixon profanity
- Prof X threatening to find Mystique and forcibly stopping her
- Magneto seeing the coin he shoved through Kevin Bacon's head in FC, now housed in the Pentagon next to his helmet 
- New tracking shot of RFK stadium being lifted by Magneto
- Mid-credits scene with Trask in Magneto's former cell

I don't like the new Beast and Mystique footage because it slows the pace of the film right down as the story doesn't really move forwards at all, so I nixed it

But I did reinstert the "find the X-Men" scene when I put the Wolverine freakout back. I noticed it was the reason that the future was changed with everyone being alive again cause Wolverine blatantly told him that things should be different.
[/quote]

hbenthow said:

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Current Some new clips and edits. 

I've put back a deleted line from Trailer 2 "Mutants, we find ourselves on the edge of extinction". I really liked that line and I think that might be the title I could go with for the edit itself. Only problem would be replacing the title sequence, but I no idea how to do that unless I paint it out frame by frame or something. 

X-Men: Edge of Extinction

I also did some colour work on the Quicksilver set piece to tone down the blue look of the scene.Comparison here

MYPpJn2.png

W8gLb4n.png

vN6zQ1o.png

IQf51FG.jpg

As well as working on the yellow tint in the Vietnam sequence. Comparison also here
iDxpF0l.jpg

DQU4MoV.jpg

YpbJ4LU.jpg

GZ5HD6y.jpg

Current runtime is 2:10:44, barely a minute shorter than the theatrical.

Feedback always welcome.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bobson Dugnutt said:

It has been years since I watched it, so I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
@"Bobson Dugnutt" To me it sounds way too similar to Age of Extinction. Also with the Extinction edition. And Apocalypse talking about extinction all the time... the mid 2010s superhero/action movies were weirdly obsessed with extinction weren’t they.

I’d say keep the DoFP title but have Edge of Extinction as a subtle?

I dunno

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Removed Kitty's "too late, bitch" to the Sentinel using a clip from a VFX reel by MPC. 

lapis molari

Better edits through feedback.
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thread moved to Inactive at editor's request. Good luck and fingers crossed for your HDD repair, @"Bobson Dugnutt" .

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
4167.gif

Thread reactivated. Good luck Bobson with revisiting the past.

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thanks Dig, and revist the past I have. 

I've redone the edit from the ground up, restarting and reripping my discs entirely. Originally I used my Rogueless cut as a base, and even then that was a made from a proxy file from the original RC disc. So it was in really bad shape visually, as it was like a 3rd generation stepdown. 

Here, everything is done from the raw disc and redone entriely. I used the TC as a base and added the mild amount of RC content that I wanted. Regrading was also done from scratch as I wanted a different look than I originally had. 

New cutlist:
- replaced opening Marvel card with X-Men themed one from X3
- cut Kitty's "too late assholes" and used extended Sentinal shot from VFX reel to cover the cut
- added additional Prof. X line from Trailer 2 during the opening monalogue
- cut Colossus' unneeded and metallic delivery of "Mystique"
- regraded Vietnam sequence to reduce the yellow tint 
- regraded Pentagon breakout to reduce the blue tint, now the cell and kitchen have more of a neutral white look
- cut Magneto/Quicksilver exchange "what?, Whip. Lash."
- cut Magneto/Quicksilver exchange in the elevator "what did you do dude?"
- cut Magneto's comment to Wolverine "imagine if they were made of metal"
- cut the entire scene of Mystique seducing and choking out the Vietnamese ambassador
- added "Paris" title card to a shot of the city, as it was cut from the above scene
- cut 70s Wolverine waking back up so it doesn't ruin the time travel logic that the film creates. He simply has a bit of PTSD when he sees Stryker
- cut the self-referential close up of Star Trek on Beast's TV
- cut "wow, all three channels" 
- cut shot of Trask looking at the real Nixon as to also surprise us with Mystique
- regraded the new future sequence to be a little less yellow and golden
- cut Stryker revealed to be Mystique before the credits

Rogue Cut Content added to TC
- added brief shot of a tribute wall to slain mutants 
- added Warpath lighting a candle for the slain mutants, showing the wall once more 
- extended discussion about sending Wolverine back 
- added small chat with Kitty/Iceman about handling the trip 
- uncut scene of Wolverine vs mob goons 
- added 2 moments of Prof X and Beast laughing at Wolverine due to his time travel explanation 
- added Prof X refering to Wolverine as a "Tall, angry fellow with the contentious hair" 
- fixed off-time music cue as Mystique (as Trask) leaves the mini-vault to talk to the secretary 
- added 2 bits of Nixon profanity 
- added Prof X threatening to hunt Mystique down 
- added Magneto seeing the coin he put through Shaw's head in First Class
- added additional tracking shot as Magneto lifts the RFK Stadium
- added mid-credits scene with Trask

Runtime:
Theatrical - 2:11:34
Dugnutt Cut - 2:09:44

Time added - 2:54
Time cut - 4:34

I'll be rendering out this version I have now, if anyone wants to see it, they can just ask.

stferguson78

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Love the sound of this Bobson, very much a best of both worlds version of the movie’s two cuts. I’ll PM you

Top Bottom