• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

X-Files Returns

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I still don't see how they resolved season 10's cliffhanger on the bridge. I went back and re-watched the opening 5 min. or so and all we got was a half second shot of the bridge and the space craft and that was it. There was no resolution as far as I can tell.

Pretty much all of the season 10 finale did not happen.  In the opening of My Struggle II, Scully enters Mulder's office, and while sitting at his desk, the camera zooms into her eye.   From that point forward, we are watching a "possible future" being sent to Scully apparently by William.   

At the opening of My Struggle III, the camera zooms out of Scully's eye and we are back in the real world.

So no alien invasion.  Ever. :p

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
This week's episode was surprisingly great. It felt like a classic X-Files monster-of-the-week episode, but I loved how they treated Mulder in Scully as aged characters.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I loved how they treated Mulder in Scully as aged characters.

It's R-Rated now?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lol, funny typo. That was always implied, never shown ;)

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
This week's episode was surprisingly great. It felt like a classic X-Files monster-of-the-week episode, but I loved how they treated Mulder in Scully as aged characters.

Agreed. It was a very enjoyable episode. The previews for this weeks episode look really quirky too. Might be even better.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Favourite moment in the most recent episode.....

XKeerzel.jpghttp:

dLOF11il.jpghttp:

OG36WG5l.jpghttp:

FlT6iySl.jpghttp:

:D

Q2

Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I really loved this last episode due to how minimalist it was with dialog.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Q2 said:
I really loved this last episode due to how minimalist it was with dialog.

Agreed.

I howled when Mulder asked why Scully's place is so much nicer than his!  :p

This episode also just made me feel old.   How much the world has changed in 20 years!
Rise of the A.I., indeed.

Also, it was just a good reminder on good social etiquette.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
....and that's a wrap!

Another season (final?) ends, and I must admit I enjoyed this season much more than the previous one.  Only one episode I did not like (the one with all the blood and youth obsessed actress... just weird for weird's sake imo) and a fairly satisfying conclusion.   The mature and healthy relationship between Mulder and Scully this season was the true strength of the show and is what kept me tuning in each week.   Though I found it assuming at times how much Mulder and Scully have evolved into true badass action heroes.

With Anderson having clearly stated in many interviews this past year that she is done playing Scully, I really hope Carter lets this show go and not bring it back for another season.

For the actual finale....
no cliffhanger, YAY!  All the evil players appear to be dead.   Though Skinner (it was nice he tried to redeem himself in the last seconds as I did not really care for his story arc) could be alive as it appeared to me he dived under the car at the last second.   And no head shot to Cancer Man, so he could easily be alive since he has survived much worse.   And in some ways, the rapid pace killing of all the villains felt like a cheat after all the set-up of their various storylines and in usual X-Files fashion the truth is left unknown.   Despite all the doom, gloom and tragedy, our intrepid heroes get a semi-happy/hopeful ending.  Though Mulder and Scully may be in wheelchairs by the time their kid goes off to college lol

In the end, a nice revisit of a classic series with exceptionally strong performances by Anderson and Duchovny.   No where near as good as it was in it's hey day, and perhaps not the ending to the Mythology that was originally teased or we hoped for, but it did give the series some long over due closure even if it was slightly plagued by a "been-there-done-that" feeling.  On the whole, I would give this season a B-Minus.... it was a comfortable visit with old friends though the stakes felt very tired and underplayed.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bob, I got around to watching the last two episodes last night and had the opposite reaction; I really liked the one with the actress because it was weird and felt more like an old episode (though they could have left out a lot of the unnecessary gore). The finale was really rushed and way too poorly lit to tell what was going on half of the time.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Speaking as somebody who just finished watching the X-Files for the first time ever this year, I have to say that the revival is almost a complete disaster.

My Struggle 1 was awful. Not only did it introduce one of the most moronic retcons ever (aliens not having much interaction with humanity at all, and most of their supposed crimes being the work of humans using stolen alien technology—despite the numerous aliens who've been on the show before), but it also had Mulder and Scully broken up for no good reason.

The rest of the season was mediocre at best (with the exception being Mulderand ScullyMeet the Were-Monster, which was a brilliant episode).

Then we got My Struggle 2, which was so bad, My Struggle 3 had to retcon it away as a vision. The explanation for CSM"s surrival makes no sense and it has the pointless return of Monica Reyes.

My Struggle 3 was not as bad as the previous 2, but it still wasn't very good. The editing was choppy, the voiceovers were terrible and has the stupid revelation regarding William's father (more on that later). 

The rest of season 11 was a mixed bag. We had some good stuff (like The lost art of forehead sweat), and some bad stuff (like Rm9sbG93ZXJz)

Then we got My Struggle 4, which was worse than the other 3. Not only was it just a lazy rehash of previous ideas (the X-Files are AGAIN, CSM is killed AGAIN, Scully is pregnant with Mulder's child, AGAIN) but it feels like such an unsatisfying conclusion. This is probably going to be the last time we see Mulder and Scully on-screen, and this is how it ends? Lame.

Also, Scully's arc makes no sense. She spends all this time looking for William, just to let him go so she can go off and have a natural child with Mulder, even though she's 54 and barren? WTF!?

Also, John Doggett doesn't even get a mention (I know he was supposed to come back, but still).

Also, what was the point of bring back Monica Reyes? She barely got any screen-time and she just gets anti-climatically, shot in the head at the end. Was is really worth bringing her back, just to perform a character assasination on her?

Also, William is a complete jerk, I hate him

Also, the retcon revealing William was nothing but a product of CSM and an experiment that Scully just happended to carry in her womb for 9 months was just so mean spirited and needlessly cruel. It also makes season 9 even worse, because it makes the whole story of William feel pointless. Also it's just a lazy rehash (because they already did that plot with Emily). 

When Fox announced that they had no plans for an X-Files season 12, I wept with joy. But knowing Chris, he'll find a way to make season 12. But that will hopefully not be for a long time, and hopefully by then, he would have come to his senses and write something good.

Personally, I consider season 8 the end of the X-Files. Mulder and Scully were together and could live normal lives, all the bad guys were dead, Kersh was going to be punished for being such an annoying character and it just felt like a perfect ending. Too bad Chris just doesn't know when to quit and just leave the X-Files alone.

Sorry for the long post, but I had to get this off my chest.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
Personally, I consider season 8 the end of the X-Files. Mulder and Scully were together and could live normal lives, all the bad guys were dead, Kersh was going to be punished for being such an annoying character and it just felt like a perfect ending. Too bad Chris just doesn't know when to quit and just leave the X-Files alone.

I am in complete agreement. 

While I enjoyed the reunion chemistry of Mulder and Scully and some of the monster episodes, Carter's own disregard for his chaotically created series mythology felt like a big F-You to long time fans and supporters. :blush:

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
bionicbob said:
wilhelm scream said:

I am in complete agreement. 

While I enjoyed the reunion chemistry of Mulder and Scully and some of the monster episodes, Carter's own disregard for his chaotically created series mythology felt like a big F-You to long time fans and supporters. :blush:

If people are desperate for more X-Files, then they should just read the season 10 and 11 comics. They make a lot more sense, does sequels to classic episodes and while ending does feel a bit rushed and a plot thread unresolved, it does feel more satisfying then the TV versions.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Because I'm a dork who suffers from mild OCD, I've set about rewatching The X-Files in a bid to finally hammer out my personal X-Files canon. Yesterday I finished Season 1.

Season 1 is a curious item. Maybe it's the lack of comedic episodes, or something less tangible I can't identify, but it has its own vibe which none of the succeeding seasons recapture. That's not a bad thing, mind you — the season's solid overall — it's just something I never fail to notice when I revisit these episodes. I also noticed for the first time that the pilot takes place in March 1992 while the rest of the season takes place in late 1993-early 1994; that effectively means an entire year's worth of time passes between the first and second episode. I know the '92 date is probably just a gaffe, that the writers never intended there to be any great gulf of time between the first and second episodes, and that it was retconned in future seasons anyway, but I like the idea of an undocumented "Season 0.5" (or would that be "1.0"?); lots of storytelling potential there for an interquel comic/novel series.

EPISODE RATINGS

• "Pilot" – 8/10
  • "Deep Throat" – 8/10
  • "Squeeze" – 8/10
  • "Conduit" – 8/10
  • "The Jersey Devil" – 5/10
  • "Shadows" – 7/10
  • "Ghost in the Machine" – 6/10
  • "Ice" – 8/10
  • "Space" – 3/10
  • "Fallen Angel" – 6/10
  • "Eve" – 7/10
  • "Fire" – 6/10
  • "Beyond the Sea" – 9/10
  • "Gender Bender" – 5/10
  • "Lazarus" – 8/10
  • "Young at Heart" – 7/10
  • "E.B.E." – 6/10
  • "Miracle Man" – 7/10
  • "Shapes" – 8/10
  • "Darkness Falls" – 8/10
  • "Tooms" – 8/10
  • "Born Again" – 6/10
  • "Roland" – 7/10
  • "The Erlenmeyer Flask" – 6/10

FAVOURITE EPISODE

"Beyond the Sea"

UNFAVOURITE EPISODE

"Space"

SEASON'S RATING

8/10

Handman

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Solid season.  It's what I think of when I think of the X-Files, moreso than any other.  As you say, that vibe was never quite recaptured.  Not to mention, the mysteries of the show were still new and didn't bog down the show, they were actually interesting!

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Because I'm a dork who suffers from mild OCD, I've set about rewatching The X-Files in a bid to finally hammer out my personal X-Files canon. Yesterday I finished Season 1.

Season 1 is a curious item. Maybe it's the lack of comedic episodes, or something less tangible I can't identify, but it has its own vibe which none of the succeeding seasons recapture. That's not a bad thing, mind you — the season's solid overall — it's just something I never fail to notice when I revisit these episodes. I also noticed for the first time that the pilot takes place in March 1992 while the rest of the season takes place in late 1993-early 1994; that effectively means an entire year's worth of time passes between the first and second episode. I know the '92 date is probably just a gaffe, that the writers never intended there to be any great gulf of time between the first and second episodes, and that it was retconned in future seasons anyway, but I like the idea of an undocumented "Season 0.5" (or would that be "1.0"?); lots of storytelling potential there for an interquel comic/novel series.

EPISODE RATINGS

• "Pilot" – 8/10
  • "Deep Throat" – 8/10
  • "Squeeze" – 8/10
  • "Conduit" – 8/10
  • "The Jersey Devil" – 5/10
  • "Shadows" – 7/10
  • "Ghost in the Machine" – 6/10
  • "Ice" – 8/10
  • "Space" – 3/10
  • "Fallen Angel" – 6/10
  • "Eve" – 7/10
  • "Fire" – 6/10
  • "Beyond the Sea" – 9/10
  • "Gender Bender" – 5/10
  • "Lazarus" – 8/10
  • "Young at Heart" – 7/10
  • "E.B.E." – 6/10
  • "Miracle Man" – 7/10
  • "Shapes" – 8/10
  • "Darkness Falls" – 8/10
  • "Tooms" – 8/10
  • "Born Again" – 6/10
  • "Roland" – 7/10
  • "The Erlenmeyer Flask" – 6/10

FAVOURITE EPISODE

"Beyond the Sea"

UNFAVOURITE EPISODE

"Space"

SEASON'S RATING

8/10

I've never taken the 92 date too seriously, as it makes no sense (why would Mulder and Scully still be acting like their new to each other, if they've been partners for over a year?). Besides, they only hint at it in season 4, they never actually establish it.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
wilhelm scream said:
I've never taken the 92 date too seriously, as it makes no sense (why would Mulder and Scully still be acting like their new to each other, if they've been partners for over a year?). Besides, they only hint at it in season 4, they never actually establish it.

As I said, it's probably just a gaffe, some holdover from the time of script's production which wasn't corrected before the series proper went into production. Nevertheless, the idea of a "missing season" appeals to me on a creative level.

wilhelm scream

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
wilhelm scream said:

As I said, it's probably just a gaffe, some holdover from the time of script's production which wasn't corrected before the series proper went into production. Nevertheless, the idea of a "missing season" appeals to me on a creative level.

Fair enough, besides, it's not the only weird timeline inconsistency the X-Files has (when you get to the later seasons, I'll point them out).

Top Bottom