• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Wrong media files on timeline events?!?!

matrixgrindhouse

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have no idea how this happened. In the most recent revision of my project, suddenly almost every timeline event that uses a vts.ifo to import and edit .vobs is now linked to a particular .wmv I used briefly. An earlier revision does not suffer this problem, and I've made a backup of it, so nothing major has been lost that I can't replicate. But... what the heck happened? Anyone know how I might be able to fix this? For reference, I'm using Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum, version 11.0, build 322.

Bizarre. My only answer is that perhaps you changed the media file to which that part of the film refers. If you right click the wmv (which I'm assuming is the "comic" in the second video) in the project media window and select Replace, you can replace it with the Matrix file you're using.

If this is indeed the problem, then every instance in your timeline where the comic is used will be replaced by the equivalent time in the Matrix file you replace it with. If there are some parts of the comic wmv you want to keep, then do this:

1. Right click the wmv in the Project Media list
2. Click "Select Timeline Events"
3. Copy those events (Ctrl+C)
4. Right click the wmv again
5. Click "Replace"
6. Replace the file with the Matrix video
7. Paste the wmv onto the timeline somewhere, which will restore everything you copied.

This might not be your problem at all though, in which case everything I've written here will be useless.

Thanks for the tip. I'm thinking that the Vegas project file got corrupted or something? I think I'll be better off just repeating my changes from my backup of the earlier version and playing it safe. But yeah. Weird. Very weird.

All right... so whenever I save my backup as a new file in Vegas, the new version suffers from the same problem. Replacing the project media files doesn't correct this, either.

Sounds like you might need to start over, do you have an mp4 of a work in progress version you could base a new version on?

This doesn't have to be a bad thing, if you start on a new version then you have the opportunity to try out more ideas and maybe you'll come up with some new things that will make the edit more fun to work on.

If you start anew then it might be a good idea to always save your project file multiple times in different locations so if the timeline goes all f#ckey again you should have a better chance of salvaging your work, and maybe (if its possible) make a quick render of the workprint whenever you've made lots of progress?

I don't do vegas so hopefully some of that ^ is helpful, makes sense and is not redundant. Just trying to be helpful. :)

Here's a tip. Never edit .VOBs or .WMVs in Vegas, it can get messy and that could be why your files are so screwy. Lagarith AVI is best to use for your main source and make high quality MP4s for those WMVs.

I've had timeline events mysteriously change their file several times in Vegas. It's happened to my lags video once and more often to my .wav files. I figured the files got corrupted somehow. I haven't found a solution other than just redoing the affected part of the timeline.

Back
Top Bottom