• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Would this be a good laptop for fan editing?

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Hi all!

I'm slowly creeping towards the point where my laptop can't handle what I'm trying to do anymore.
I’m a Dell fan and I think, given my budget of $1,000 or less, this Inspiron might work. What do you think?
PC Series: Dell Inspiron 15 5585 5000
Display: 15.6 inch Full HD ( 1920 x 1080 ) IPS Anti-glare Non-Touch WLED Display
Processor: AMD Quad-Core Ryzen7 3700U (> i7-7500U), 2.3GHz, up to 4.0GHz, 6 Cache, 8 Treads
Memory: 32GB DDR4
Storage: 1TB PCIe SSD
Graphics: Integrated AMD Radeon Vega 10 Graphics
I'm looking to run Vegas Pro on it.

Any and all help is appreciated!

Here is the Amazon link: Dell Inspiron 15 5585 5000 2020 Premium Business Laptop I 15.6" FHD IPS I AMD Quad-Core Ryzen 7 3700U(> i7-7500U) I 32GB DDR4 1TB PCIe SSD I Backlit KB FP WiFi Win 10 + Delca 16GB Micro SD Card https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088R9LHR5/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_npCSFb4VRKBVJ?psc=1

Malthus

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:

I recently upgraded my machine to a Dell specifically for this hobby. It's doing everything I need. Here are its specs:

Processor: 9th Generation Intel® Core™ i7-9750H (12 MB Cache, 6 Core, up to 4.50 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64bit
Video Card: NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5
Memory:16 GB, 2 x 8 GB, DDR4, 2666 MHz
Hard Drive: 1 TB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid-State Drive

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If you aren't editing in 4K UHD that should be able to handle your editing needs. I'm not too familiar with AMD processors though. I stopped using them after my HP touchsmart experience. That was probably due to HP's terrible heatsink design though.....Can Vegas Pro utilize all the cores yet? It seems like it hasn't ever been able to use the full function of my CPU and my GPU never seems to do much for it. My current units have 12gb and 16gb of ram and I can see a pretty big shift in performance just between that small difference. A beefy processor and excessive ram should serve you well :)
Now I'm starting to get the upgrade urge as well......yikes!
upgrades.gif

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Thank you @"Malthus"  and @"DigModiFicaTion" !

Definitely not looking for super fancy 4k UHD editing!  That's for the next upgrade in 5 or so years!

I saw Ryzen mentioned on Reddit before.  Maybe I'll delve into that a bit deeper to be sure.  I really have no idea and the last time I let a tech build me a computer based on me telling him what I wanted to do it ended up being the worst computer I ever had.  Building through Dell always gave me good results, but I like to be able to take my computer with me and do some editing during lunch breaks or when I have some down time between students.

Thanks a bunch, gentlemen!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah that should edit video well, the video card doesn't help with editing video, it helps with generating it. Specifically realtime 3d video, like doing 3d work in blender or playing modern video games. If you want to get into that stuff, get something with a dedicated (instead of integrated) graphics card, and do a little research to make sure you're happy with the graphics card you pick. If that stuff doesn't interest you you're good to go.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Yeah that should edit video well, the video card doesn't help with editing video, it helps with generating it. Specifically realtime 3d video, like doing 3d work in blender or playing modern video games. If you want to get into that stuff, get something with a dedicated (instead of integrated) graphics card, and do a little research to make sure you're happy with the graphics card you pick. If that stuff doesn't interest you you're good to go.

I'm not a PC gamer or really much of a gamer like I used to be oh so long ago  :s .  I prefer console games (but you're also talking to someone that continually replays LEGO Star Wars or Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare on PS3) when I can bring myself away from watching movies and fam stuff.  

From the edits I do, which have no special effects, do you think this will work?  If I begin to dabble into anything new, it'll be rotoscoping and masking type stuff.  Do you think that laptop could handle it?

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
musiced921 said:
I'm not a PC gamer or really much of a gamer like I used to be oh so long ago  :s .  I prefer console games (but you're also talking to someone that continually replays LEGO Star Wars or Red Dead Redemption/Undead Nightmare on PS3) when I can bring myself away from watching movies and fam stuff.  

From the edits I do, which have no special effects, do you think this will work?  If I begin to dabble into anything new, it'll be rotoscoping and masking type stuff.  Do you think that laptop could handle it?

Yes. While this is not the most recent generation of hardware, it is not nearly old enough to be close to obsolete, and even if it was, regardless of the age of the parts the specs chosen are strong, so it is a powerful machine, Ryzen 7 processor, huge amount of ram, solid state hard drive. It will be speedy for roto and masking. Fast is the word that comes to mind. Early adoption of new tech rarely pays off anyway IMO, you're going about it the right way.

That kind of thing (roto and masking, the stuff you want to maybe do) is just like Photoshop but for a batch of (sequential) images, very different from rendering real time 3d, which this computer would still be able to achieve, it's just not going to be cutting edge, maximum quality settings on brand new AAA 3d game graphics. I don't have a computer that can do that either, no judgement from me. Games will still work, probably better around medium settings for most, if you do decide to pick up something on a Steam sale or whatever down the line.

Edit: I misread processor name and said i7 instead of Ryzen 7. Fixed, nothing else changed.

MusicEd921

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I knew coming here and asking would get me the right information.  Thank you again @"Malthus" , @"DigModiFicaTion" and @"addiesin" for weighing in on this.  Now I can go about purchasing in the near future without jumping in blind.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
While this is not the most recent generation of hardware, it is not nearly old enough to be close to obsolete

I'm rocking an almost 6 generation old 4th gen i7-4700MQ with 16gb ram and SSHD drive. It's able to handle masking/rotoscoping pretty well using Vegas Pro. The main things I have found are slow downs and crashes when I start adding multiple video tracks and then use heavy fx filters. I usually have 6-10 video tracks to achieve fx in a single project (probably should do separate fx project and then import the rendered files to help the project not crash as much). That rig should have enough juice to meet all of your editing needs, and then some.

Top Bottom