• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Womble (dvd) mpeg video wizard frame serve to tmpg encoder

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I did not see this listed and had no idea the program was capable of doing this. I found it by accident when I had to check the vfapi settings in tmpeg. Sure enough I saw an entry for womble. And womble's help file verified it.

To make it short and simple:
Once your film is all set on the time line, save your project (as you normally would).

open tmpeg and scroll for your saved project file that was made with womble (.wbp). Load this in tmpg (you may have to choose all files)

Done, have fun encoding. The best part of this is that you do not have to even have the womble app opened at all

Wow!

Anyone know if CCE can do this as well (probably not)?

But... wow. That's really good to know.
How is the quality with transitions, fades and title-ing (sp?)?

Womble does not do something dvd standard when exporting as an mpeg. One general app used to make a dvd quickly wanted to re-encode the mpeg made from womble. Also sometimes some effects had added block noise that was not there originally.

When I found this plug-in option for tmpg, I tried that instead and everything worked out smooth with no issues. This also saved me a step since I had to re-encode my latest project back to a 16x9 ratio anyway.

The only issue I have with womble is it's on screen titling system. I found out that whatever you put this across plays back very jumpy until the said title disappears off the screen. If you need on screen titles I would suggest using somekind of true app to create real subtitles.

Womble's encoder is the worst ever.
It has terrible artifacts and can even have variable frame rates when finished.

I guess the real question is if when Tmpeg handles a project, does it direct stream copy anything or does it only do 100% re-encoding?

I mean that's fine if your final video will be too long for the target sized DVD and you're going to need to recode, but Womble's best feature is it's ability to direct stream copy non-linear edited content.

tmpg re-encodes the whole project and if you added in a ton of transitions womble would have done the same anyway. I would normally let womble do this (and make sure its set to "maximum quality, NOT balanced) and the project would have been alright, but since I had to re-encode the final project to a true 16x9 ratio (and this involved matting) tmpg was a much better route to go

Most people are unaware that if womble has to re-encode a clip (for a fade, etc) that the default is set to "smart balanced". If upon exporting your mpeg, selecting the "expert" option under the video tab you will see womble set to balanced. Change this to maximum quality and it will take a hell of a lot longer but you will not get the artifacts you mentioned.

Back
Top Bottom