• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Womble and 4.1 Audio

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm using Womble, which appears to let you use up to three audio tracks. This should be enough to have the center channel on one track and the rest of the audio on another track. The question is this - is it possible to have a single audio file that has every channel except the center (i.e. 4.1 audio)? I'm guessing you would separate the channels using something like Hypercube, then somehow recombine (remux?) all the channels except for the center one.

Is this possible? How would you do it?

Thanks. :)

Yes; I know someone who worked like that. (I have never done it though.) He deleted the centre channel in Audacity and downmixed the result to a 2.0 wav with Belight. Bascially, I think he worked with the centre channel (in 2.0) on one track and the remaining 4.1 channels (in 2.0) on another. You'll have to play with the programs to try to work out the details though -- and your result will be an upmix.

When you say the result would be an upmix, do you mean a 5.1? If I use Womble I'm not going to be able to go with full 5.1, but for this kind of edit I don't think 2.0 is unreasonable.

What about a program like tsmuxer? Could it just take the five mono wavs I have and combine them into a single 4.1 track? I don't really know much about this but I remembered this from ot.com:
http://originaltrilogy.com/forum/to...GY-NOW-AVAILABLE/post/426401/#TopicPost426401

Think I answered my own question.

tsmuxer seems to be a DVD output program - no separate audio. However, I found a really easy-to-use program called WAV to AC3 Encoder (great name, huh?). It allowed me to create an AC3 file with the center channel missing. It sounds like it worked - Yay!

Now a related question. I need to test it on my 5.1 system to see if it really worked. What would be the easiest way to do this?

TV's Frink said:
When you say the result would be an upmix, do you mean a 5.1? If I use Womble I'm not going to be able to go with full 5.1, but for this kind of edit I don't think 2.0 is unreasonable.

Yes; I meant that the result would be 2.0 upmixed to 5.1 if you exported from Womble with 5.1 selected. I was just making sure you knew that. :) I agree that 2.0 is probably better.

Tsmuxer muxes: it joins video and audio together in a variety of ways. The reason it couldn't join your WAVs is that recombining separate mono WAVs into a multi-channel file requires re-encoding/file conversion not simple muxing. In terms of authoring, it can output an AVCHD or BD structure if you use it to join video and audio files that are already AVCHD or BD ncompliant. (It cannot output a DVD structure though.)

I need to test it on my 5.1 system to see if it really worked. What would be the easiest way to do this?
It depends on the capabilities of your home theater system. Making a DVD would obviously be a long winded way of testing something, but you might have to do so if you don't have a media player -- or if your system doesn't have media player capabilities that it can use. If you do have media player capabilities, I would make a transport stream with the video and audio in and play that through your home theater. Alternatively, if your player supports only DivX, or something like that, you can export a section of your workflow as an AVI, and either play that from an external hard drive over USB or burn a CD. I need to know the capabilities of your system to help you further.

Captain Khajiit said:
It depends on the capabilities of your home theater system. Making a DVD would obviously be a long winded way of testing something, but you might have to do so if you don't have a media player -- or if your system doesn't have media player capabilities that it can use. If you do have media player capabilities, I would make a transport stream with the video and audio in and play that through your home theater. Alternatively, if your player supports only DivX, or something like that, you can export a section of your workflow as an AVI, and either play that from an external hard drive over USB or burn a CD. I need to know the capabilities of your system to help you further.

Thanks CK. I have an LG Blu-Ray player that can stream media from my PC, although I don't know exactly what formats it can support because I haven't played around with it much. I'm pretty sure it can play AVI.

I would make an XviD AVI of a short section. Use AC-3. Stream the AVI to your BD player.

If you are just testing the audio, you might be able to stream the audio file without the video. My setup doesn't like AC-3 audio without video, but that might be because I usually send audio over TOSLINK. Let me know how it goes. :)

Back
Top Bottom