• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Womble added an extra video frame... but where? :-P

Gaith

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok guys, quick query:

Since I grayscaled the whole end credits sequence for my Mummy edit, and did a few fades in the denouement besides, I thought it'd be prudent to export the last eight minutes or so, that I might add that to the end of the project. The resulting file looks great, but while the sync is fine, the motion isn't always flawlessly smooth in either Windows Media Player or DivX player. (This may just be my computer being sluggish.)

Here's the question: I exported as an mpeg-2, highest quality... but didn't separate the files. Due to a glitch, I've had to redo the audio anyway. Will I suffer any video quality loss if I use the video part of the integrated mp2, as opposed to exporting the elements separately? And when the video encoding is set to highest, barring the slight noise than Womble's effects produce, is there any generational loss produced by the method I described in the above paragraph?

Thanks! :)

as long as no encoding happens in womble the video quality is fine. As soon as you use effects, womble will use its own encoder, which produces bad quality, no matter how high you set the output quality. The only way to avoid that is to export through a frameserver in order to have another encoder (like CCE or tmpg) does the encoding.
There is a guide about frameserving from womble in this section.

Oh, I don't mind Womble's effects encoding, because I'm only using it for brief aged film effects, where quality doesn't matter. I was just concerned about the non-encoded highest-quality exported video. Thanks! :wink:

New, quick question. :wink: I followed ADM's guide, and, as he warned, the video stream has one more frame than the audio does.

Has this extra frame been added to the beginning? The end? Randomly dropped in? If randomly, must one watch the whole thing, eyes peeled for a black flash? I've also got thirty seconds or so of black at the beginning of the edit (intentionally). If an extra frame were added there, how could one ever find it? (One frame being too difficult to spot by eye/audio sync alone.)

Thanks! :)

(the quote)
Many times Womble will drop a frame or add a frame. This sometimes causes the audio to drift out of sync. Re-check your original project, remove any frames if necessary, and re-export. If the end result is still out of sync, note the number of frames off, and we'll correct through some trickiness in Vegas.

That frame is nothing you would ever have to worry about at all

However to give you an answer, it is usually at the end of the file.

If you really must know, put both audio and video sources on the time line. Now using the zoom option, zoom in on the time line for as much as it allows (this should let you see things frame by frame)

Scroll to the end of the file. If both audio and video lengths match then you have no extra frame, if they don't then you can see which has the extra frame. Use Womble's split tool and remove it that way

tranzor said:
If you really must know, put both audio and video sources on the time line. Now using the zoom option, zoom in on the time line for as much as it allows (this should let you see things frame by frame). Scroll to the end of the file. If both audio and video lengths match then you have no extra frame, if they don't then you can see which has the extra frame. Use Womble's split tool and remove it that way
I'd already done that, and successfully to boot, though if the extra frame had been thrown it at random it wouldn't have done me any good in terms of the a/v sync. ;)

tranzor said:
That frame is nothing you would ever have to worry about at all. However to give you an answer, it is usually at the end of the file.
What a relief! Thank you. :)

One frame would not throw off your sync. A couple of frames can create something very minute that one might notice, but nothing to write home about. More than a couple and this might throw it for a few milliseconds and you would then have to fix it

Lol, fair enough. :)

What would be the effect on an AVI or a muxed MPG file if the streams were of different lengths by a couple of frames? Would it cause a problem?

Sorry, last minute panic going on here... :smile:

Guess you might just have to check the sync with your eyes and ears... ;)

Ah, yes; those!

Trouble is it involves watching the entire film, and I doubt I'd notice anything or find it if I did. I rarely rip a DVD and find the video and audio tracks to be exactly the same length though, so I suppose it wouldn't matter.

Damn Womble! I've cut a frame out more than once now, and I swear the program re-introduces it. The preview often fails to show an extra frame no matter how many times one looks. I check every cut I make multiple times, and an extra frame will invariably crop up at some point.

Sorry, panic over! :)

Back
Top Bottom