• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Wired | Geekdad | Star Wars – The Fandom Editors (Mentions Frink, Q2, Harmy, TMBTM)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Well lets hope that L8 decides to keep your awesome covers online, since there is not now and never was a reason for their removal. :)

jswert123456

Reaction score
Trophy Points
there are 3 new edits of the prequels on youtube called the anti-cheese edits.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
jswert123456 said:
there are 3 new edits of the prequels on youtube called the anti-cheese edits.

I saw those got mentioned on Screenrant, and was really curious why they were mentioned instead of the hundred other prequel edits that already exist. Are they just new or did the editor just get somebody's attention? The name is kinda funny. Has anyone here seen them yet? Apparently they're just on YouTube. Curious if the editing is any good or if the editor is aware of this site.

ImperialFighter

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
I saw those got mentioned on Screenrant, and was really curious why they were mentioned instead of the hundred other prequel edits that already exist. Are they just new or did the editor just get somebody's attention? The name is kinda funny. Has anyone here seen them yet? Apparently they're just on YouTube. Curious if the editing is any good or if the editor is aware of this site.

I haven't had a chance to watch them yet, but they also recently got a detailed mention over at io9 (dot) com - www.io9.com/include-these-anti-cheese-star-wars-prequels-while-you-1747781701 - and I found some of the replies at the bottom of the article interesting too.

*Quick question* - I happen to have already downloaded a heap of prequel edits from YouTube over the last fortnight - approx. 15 or 16 different ones (!), including these 'anti-cheese' versions by JeremyMWest-Esquire - some were individual edits of each prequel, while others were 3-in-one versions...and I did this because I was interested to see what these guys had done in certain scenes compared to my own planned 'cut-lists'. Also, I wasn't sure how long they would be available to view there before they were taken down! - so my question is...can anyone tell me how come some of these full-length edits manage to remain up on YouTube for so long, while other snippets and clips seem to be removed almost immediately? Just curious to know.

By the way, out of all the various edits I downloaded off YouTube, there's another really interesting-looking one called 'Star Wars: The Blackened Mantle (The Prequels Rewritten/Recut)' by a guy called Darth Lunar - it's a 3-in-one version that's been completely re-subtitled, and uses the Japanese language soundtracks - I'm guessing this will make for a very different 'foreign language'-like take on the material (for those of us that aren't Japanese), and will give some of the characters a 'samurai'-sounding air of gravitas! So I look forward to checking that one out too, eventually. :)

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:

I think that the editor just had some very smart timing. Releasing these about a week before the new movie, when lots of people are doing marathons or daily rewatches, and they want to make the prequel part of the viewing experience less painful ... It was just a really smart move.

And I'm not saying that the edits aren't good. I haven't seen them yet. And I'm kind of looking forward to seeing them, or at least skipping around a bit and seeing how the editor handles certain scenes.

But I agree with you, Addiesin, that otherwise it makes no sense for all of these websites to suddenly latch onto this edit like no one has ever thought of editing the prequels until now. Even the cuts that the editor listed, while all good cuts, are also all the obvious things that other people have taken out -- less Jar Jar, no midichlorians, etc. That's why I think the attention it's receiving is mainly due to timing.

Also, from the perspective of the authors on these news websites, they probably don't want to exhaustively research the existing prequel edits, figure out which ones are good and unique enough from each other, etc. One writer on one site finds these edits and posts about them, and all the other news sites just piggyback off of that. And I'm not even saying that in an insulting manner; many of these authors probably get paid little or nothing, so there's only so much time they can invest on an article.

Still, one article about the different fan edits would have been nice. And I do still look forward to checking out this editor's work.

Regarding ImperialFighter's question about YouTube, it's an excellent question, but I don't know the answer.

Omaru1982

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've tried to watch a few but they seem to lack the finesse. They cut scenes but they leave in other scenes and don't really make minor cuts. I quite liked some of the tweaked dialogue in Blackened Mantle but seeing things like Anakin beheading Tyrannus and the fight with Obi-wan and they still have the hesitations just puts me off. I'm not a fan of the confusing structure in that one either, but I do commend the fact the editor has tried to do something that no one else has attempted though.

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I watched the anti-cheese TPM and liked it a lot. He cut very deep. In fact, he could have cut even deeper, but he still cut more than some other editors do. The redubbing of the Neimoidians and Jar Jar helps a lot.

My favorite part of this whole edit is when the redubbed Jar Jar simply volunteers to take the Jedi directly to the Naboo city, bypassing the whole unfortunate underwater Gungan sequence!

TomH1138

Reaction score
Trophy Points
So it was my understanding that the Star Wars movies didn't have clean center channels, which made dialogue replacement very difficult. Seeing how nice and clean JeremyMWestEsquire made the dialogue substitutions for TPM, I asked him how he did it. Here is his reply:

"Hey Tom- I used Audacity to remove the vocals using this method: http://www.howtogeek.com/56335/how-to-remove-vocals-from-music-tracks-using-audacity/ Then I created my own vocal tracks for Jar Jar and Nemoidians in Audacity, lowered the pitch a bit, then mixed everything back together in Premiere."

So ... is this groundbreaking news? Will this open up a lot of possibilities for editors of Star Wars and other movies without clean center channels? Or did everyone else know this already, and I'm just late to the party?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Not sure what makes you think that? He just posted a link to it.

Fanedit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Must have missed that. Just seemed to me people on this thread were talking about the editor as if they didn't know who he was. Maybe I'm reading with cross-eyes again. :?

Edit: Just re-read Zs post. You're right. First time i read it I thought he was saying they were his. I'm Dumb.

L8wrtr

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Well lets hope that L8 decides to keep your awesome covers online, since there is not now and never was a reason for their removal. :)

I messaged him and cleared the air on this. The work on the covers is great and it stays. Some of the work is Rogue's some of it's mine, some of it's other's. It's all good.

L8

Top Bottom