• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Wired | Geekdad | Star Wars – The Fandom Editors (Mentions Frink, Q2, Harmy, TMBTM)

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You mean like if I put "Rogue-theX, 2013" or some such on a cover? Never liked the idea of doing that, just seems wrong to me.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
then just do it like painters do and hide your signature somewhere really small and non-distracting. Or just blend it in with the other names: Directed by: , etc.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Nah, doesn't feel right to me.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Nah, doesn't feel right to me.

Lol. Ok, I am going to remember this conversation if somebody ever tries to take credit for one of your covers. :p

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Lol, well look at it this way, have you ever seen a signature from the cover artist on an official release? Because I haven't. Putting my sig on there would be like saying I took all the photo's painted all the paintings, invented all the fonts ect. when it's just a mashup made for fun.

JsJarvis never credited me (unless I missed it) when he used the posters I put together and L8 masterminded from his prequel trilogy edits, it even says "artwork created by JsJarvis" on ifdb, do I care? Not a whole lot, he could have said when he first posted about them in L8's thread that he "used poster art from Rogue's cover for this" or some shit but he didn't, but instead of complaining I offered the guy praise and some advice because I figured it would be more productive, and it meant that I didn't have to make the Blu Ray covers anymore ;)

You sign your covers ;) Me? Ill keep on non-signing mine, like a true badass from another planet outside your galaxy* :p

baileym43

Reaction score
Trophy Points
just now seeing this dialog about signing your cover art and why the studio artists don't on the studio version of the cover art. they don't sign it because any work they do automatically belongs to the studio. they can't sign it because as soon as it's done, it doesn't belong to them anymore. it's like they never did it. they can only stick it in their portfolio to exemplify their work for a future gig.
just saying is all. i'm not trying to get you to alter or adjust your art. i see and respect both sides.

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:
Lol, well look at it this way, have you ever seen a signature from the cover artist on an official release? Because I haven't. Putting my sig on there would be like saying I took all the photo's painted all the paintings, invented all the fonts ect. when it's just a mashup made for fun.

JsJarvis never credited me (unless I missed it) when he used the posters I put together and L8 masterminded from his prequel trilogy edits, it even says "artwork created by JsJarvis" on ifdb, do I care? Not a whole lot, he could have said when he first posted about them in L8's thread that he "used poster art from Rogue's cover for this" or some shit but he didn't, but instead of complaining I offered the guy praise and some advice because I figured it would be more productive, and it meant that I didn't have to make the Blu Ray covers anymore ;)

You sign your covers ;) Me? Ill keep on non-signing mine, like a true badass from another planet outside your galaxy* :p

Haha, you are a kind and humble man. Do what you feel is right. And I'll continue to do what I feel is right, which is to defend kind and humble men like you.

hebrides

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I totally respect Rogue's POV, and I kind of agree with it. I had thought about putting a signature logo of mine I came up with when I was a kid on the covers The Ridiculous Menace and Attack of the Ridiculousness, but a) no one would have known what it was, since it incorporates my initials and (I think) no one here knows my full name and b) I didn't want it to intrude upon the illusion of a genuine Drew Struzan cover.

For the record, BTW, Struzan does sign all his own work, and I believe the signature can be seen on the covers that have been made of his posters...

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, all good points about signatures on cover art.

I don't want my main point to get lost in this side conversation though. Just because we are all nice here and mostly only grumble in private or not at all does not diminish the moral imperative to give proper credit to 3rd parties. Credit should be given when it is possible to do so. If not directly in the movie credits, at least on IFDB.

Whether creators want to give themself credit for their own work is their own business, and separate from the matter at hand.

It would be nice to see a little more community and admin love for these sentiments than is currently being received.

Adabisi

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Every single ifdb listing has a link to the source material on imdb which contains an exhaustive list of all possible credits. What more do you want?

TV's Frink

You Catch On Pretty Quick
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
It would be nice to see a little more community and admin love for these sentiments than is currently being received.

What were you hoping for, exactly? All sources are expected to be listed.

Captain Khajiit

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
geminigod said:
Whether creators want to give themself credit for their own work is their own business, and separate from the matter at hand.

There are actually two matters at hand. The first is giving credit to third parties, and the second, which you yourself raised, is whether or not people should sign their cover art.

I agree that third parties such as RNK should be credited. I'm not sure if the current guidelines mention this; perhaps they should do so (or, if they do so already, should place more emphasis on it.)

Like you, I am unhappy with the notion of removing the credits from the end of a movie, although this was once a fairly common practice. People have solved this in several ways.

1. Having custom end credits segue into the original credits, allowing people to make their own and preserve the originals.
  2. Making credits that include everyone in the original credits and the people whose work contributed to the fanedit.
  3. Adding the original credits as an extra feature.

I'm not happy with the third myself. Relegating the original credits to an extra feature could be seen as adding insult to injury.

For my LOTM v2 I added a credits section to the disc, which is not difficult to do. This mostly mentioned people who gave me tech support, but I could have expanded it a little. Perhaps this is one approach. (It's one of the advantages of releasing a disc, rather than just a file.) Crediting people in a readme that comes with the download is another way. (Credit on IFDb has already been mentioned.)

geminigod

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
CK summed it up pretty well. IMO there should definitely be rules on this. An IMDB link on IFDB is insufficient.

Furthermore (and more importantly IMO), unsympathetic and public admonishing or casual dismissing of a claim of improper credit I believe reflects poorly on this community. I believe this is a matter for admins that should be taken seriously.

If you are confused, start reading here: http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...ons-Frink-Q2-Harmy-TMBTM)&p=185100#post185100

Neglify

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ok. Admins will have a look at all of this.

Let's all get back to the original topic (how awesome Star Wars fanedits are).

Any other thoughts on this issue put it in a PM to me.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Neglify said:
Let's all get back to the original topic (how awesome Star Wars fanedits are)

I sense a lack of enthusiasm in that statement. :p

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Rogue-theX said:

I am just now coming across this message from a couple of years ago. I'm sorry if you were insulted by the artwork I (JSJarvis) put together and weren't credited for it. I was working with l8wrtr on it and consulted him when I released it. I am requesting that he remove the artwork from IFDB.

TV's Frink

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should probably PM him then, or at least tag him.
[MENTION=8664]L8wrtr[/MENTION]

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
JeffJarvis said:
I am just now coming across this message from a couple of years ago. I'm sorry if you were insulted by the artwork I (JSJarvis) put together and weren't credited for it. I was working with l8wrtr on it and consulted him when I released it. I am requesting that he remove the artwork from IFDB.

There's no need to remove your covers, and I got no beef, never did. It's all good man, no worries, Its from a few years ago but I'm pretty sure I was never insulted over it. No worries man, Peace! :)

JJPotter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
TV's Frink said:
You should probably PM him then, or at least tag him.
L8wrtr

I have already sent him a PM this morning to remove them. Thanks.

Top Bottom