• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Willow (2022)

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The miniseries sequel to fantasy classic Willow has dropped on Disney Plus and is getting a pretty horrendous reception. I watched the first two episodes today and felt that the hate was a little overblown. It unfortunately focuses on some pretty angsty teen characters and lays the humour on far too thick. However, the production values are good and there's a nice combination of practical FX and CGI. I think those reprising their roles do quite well and the action is well directed. The second episode has some better character moments but wasn't hugely eventful. It's something that I will likely continue watching as I think it's enjoyable despite its flaws.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I am really sick of the way those fantasy shows turn out nowadays. First Witcher, then Rings of Power, now this. At this point I lost interest even before I try to watch them...

The last one I consider to be really worthy of my time and pretty great overall was Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
1988's Willow is a film I have warm feelings for. I call it "charming". But I am realistic and know it is a very imperfect, flawed film. So I was very curious when this continuation was announced.

Watched the first two released episodes and I enjoyed it.

But like it's predecessor, it is also a mixed affair. If you are looking for dark or classical fantasy like Game of Thrones or Lord of the Rings, this is NOT it.
This is an All Ages/Young Adult story.

It has heavy emphasis on humour, mixed with melodrama and adventure. It is a very modern, diverse fantasy spin with contemporary vernacular, styles and tones. While at the same time filled with many time worn, predictable genre tropes. The world building and rules so far are muddy at best. But the cast is very likeable and the story moves at a nice pace so far.

It is all very Disney. And there is nothing wrong with that. It is not doing anything bold or new but it is a show you can feel comfortable watching with your younglings.

A light, family friendly, coming of age, quest fantasy.

Last edited:

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Me hearing about Willow getting a series....
willow-clap.gif

Me after 10 minutes of watching the series....
tumblr_pei9aaVbvc1qj6sk2o6_500.gif

Me after the let down, but glad they at least tried....
ezgif-com-gif-maker-8.gif

What I had hoped for
tumblr_o1p2rcHBU51sqf5tdo2_400.gif

What I feel we got
Charaktere.png

Top Bottom