• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Why don't people review?

I’m incredibly critical of myself so it’s nice to know people have enjoyed something you worked so hard on.
I feel this, I nearly drove myself crazy revising my first edit, spending way longer than I probably should have on it - which is why I say to anyone hesitant about giving feedback, go ahead and go for it even if it's not fully comprehensive @orangeboy. Any feedback is great feedback, after putting in so much time it really is rewarding to hear back from people. That said, I always try to stick to my initial philosophy when I started making fan edits, which is that you do this for yourself first, so no matter what reception you get you're at least happy that you can enjoy a project on your own. Otherwise what's the point.

But anyways, it is important for editors to hear what casual viewers think so I actually would argue those reviews are just as valuable as the ones that go into huge detail, especially after being approved when all the fine details and tough transitions are already smoothed out as much as possible. It helps with reaching that other main end goal, which is that if you were to show an edit to people that didn't know it was edited, could they even tell? (also, casual not being an insult, I just mean those that watch fan edits for fun and don't get into the tiny details)

I too have a huge backlog of edits to view… but will leave reviews for all as I get to them…

As far as https://forums.fanedit.org/members/27737/ And others go on review quality… any review is valid… there is no wrong way to view an edit unless it’s with your eyes closed… EDIT: (or is malicious)

All reviews welcome…

Last edited:
Thanks for the positive response! I’m glad I said something because a lot of users like yourself have been very encouraging

Some edits I feel like I owe an in depth review, but then I don't always feel like writing up such a review, so I sit on it for a while, and now at this point I'm going to have to watch the edit again as a refresher in order to leave a review.
(I'mSoSorryWraith)

And then I'm also absolutely one of those people who doesn't watch edits as soon as I get them. @MusicEd921 mentioned in his Grinch thread that he hadn't gotten any feedback on it, and that reminded me that I got a link for it like 2 years ago and still haven't watched it, let alone review it.

So I apologize to everyone, I'm bad at this and it's not fair.

Actually, that is only one definition. Here's a more appropriate one

an admission or acknowledgment that one has done something that one is ashamed or embarrassed about; a confession. 😉

Not extreme at all, in that sense, right? Especially within the context it was used.

Again, to me that's a guilt trip approach. I'd rather not have a review than for someone to feel guilt tripped into leaving one. But that's just me I suppose.

Do you know what's more annoying to me than people that don't review? Random one post wonders who think they need to promise a review that was never going to come because they think it will help them get the edit.

I'm sure all established editors here know the type. Somebody that's never posted pms you "Hey id love to review your edit, like totally, but first... link plz so i can?" Like cmon. I know you aren't going to. You don't have to lie. Just ask for the link and move on.

Let's get back on course shall we? Anyone else have insight into why others might not leave reviews?

I’ve certainly had newbies PM and ask “how do I leave a review”?

So, they join, PM and ask for the link… and clearly can’t be bothered to look around.. which I can understand…but if they take the trouble to come back and ask “how”… excellent IMO!

As far as the rest of them?!?!?!¿@&
Not sure. Lazy, don’t have a passion, maybe just part of the “instant gratification” culture… who knows…

Most people who watch a movie are just not as steeply subsumed by the art form as fan editors are already… many consume movies like it’s a pop song or their fave meal. They may enjoy it, or not… and probably are no more likely to post his great or bad a meal was at a restaurant. I have a couple of friends who photograph meals, send to eachother, post online etc. I’ve NEVER done that for any meal ever. So, there are people who just want to see the edit, and move on. That’s ok by me… but every now and again, our work can ignite a passion… and before you know it, they are reviewing and even editing….that’s what excites me…!

I have about 100 edits, and probably watched under half to date…I’ve posted 30 plus… why haven’t I reviewed the others? I forgot, and now I’ve lost track of what I’ve seen and what I reviewed. Every now and again, a review for one I’ve seen and not reviewed myself pops up and I piggy back as it jolts my memory. There’s another reason why… mea culpa

New Years Resolution: reconcile my viewings and reviews mismatch and fix ratio to 1:1.

Most people don't know that fanedits are a thing. Of the very few that do, most would never bother watching one. The very few who want to watch a fanedit are limited by the hoops they need to jump through to actually get to the point where they can sit down and watch it. Then, even if they get their hands on the edit, they'll likely never bother to watch it. Competition for attention is fierce. But let's say they watch it. Miracle! Someone watched your edit! Now, of those who actually watched your edit, most people will never bother leaving a review. Why? Well, the Venn Diagram of people who manage to figure out how to watch your edit in the first place and people who write reviews of fanedits overlaps with, at best, a couple dozen people on the planet.

Just be happy that someone took the initiative to ask "Hey, can you send me a link?". Literally anything that happens after that it is a bonus.

I agree. I hope it's just a confessional and opportunity for understanding that it's not personal.
This post by me seems to have been misunderstood so I will clarify.

The post immediately preceding this post stated:

"I hope is that this isn't guilting people into reviews. It's greatly appreciated and encouraged, but ultimately you do what you can, how you can."

I simply agreed and stated what I observed the thread to be. Meaning that I agreed with the previous person that the members posting, including myself, were confessing to why they weren't leaving reviews and that the editors shouldn't take it personally.

😁 Keep Calm and Carry On...

😁 Keep Calm and Carry On...
Best Friends Yes GIF by The Yetee

Most people don't know that fanedits are a thing. Of the very few that do, most would never bother watching one. The very few who want to watch a fanedit are limited by the hoops they need to jump through to actually get to the point where they can sit down and watch it. Then, even if they get their hands on the edit, they'll likely never bother to watch it. Competition for attention is fierce. But let's say they watch it. Miracle! Someone watched your edit! Now, of those who actually watched your edit, most people will never bother leaving a review. Why? Well, the Venn Diagram of people who manage to figure out how to watch your edit in the first place and people who write reviews of fanedits overlaps with, at best, a couple dozen people on the planet.

Just be happy that someone took the initiative to ask "Hey, can you send me a link?". Literally anything that happens after that it is a bonus.
The thing is, with all those hoops to jump through and challenges to overcome to be able to watch a fan edit (for most), you would think many viewers would already be invested enough to put in at least a quick review. Of course there are family and friends who gain easier access "Hey! I just found this fanedit of < movie xyz > I have to show you!" Like for example my sister and I share our Plex servers between us and another friend, so they all have access to the library of edits I've painstakingly amassed, and won't ever review. Anyway, not meant as a judgemental comment, just an observation.

A thought occurred to me. I don’t know if mods weed out reviews, but I think we should be grateful that the reviews that are given are generally respectful even if the reviewer didn’t love the final product. I was talking to someone today about my kids’ YouTube travel vlog and mentioned I had to turn off commenting for a while. Mostly it’s family and friends that see their videos but one took off for some reason. And the number of really mean spirited comments directed at two (at the time) seven year olds was shocking. Many people on the Internet are mean by default. I’m thankful that those here, even if not regulars, tend to be constructive in their criticism.

My fanedit watchlist is as big as my Amazon/Netflix/Bluray shelf of films to watch. I have every intention to watch them but... I know they'll be a time when the kids fly the nest and work is less busy and i can indulge more...but for now i get concerned that some of you editors out there will disappear and i'll be wishing i got those links from you..that's why i do ask for links and save edits. I am a bit of archivist...
I'm in the same boat. I ask for edits that interest me, and I have every intention of watching them but my backlog just keeps getting bigger and bigger. But I do always try to get them when they're done so I can have them if the editor goes dark. I currently have 169 fanedits (including movie-to-TV edits), and I've watched maybe a quarter of them. Lots of them are variations on the Star Wars prequels, and I honestly don't remember which ones are which except that I generally preferred L8wrtr's. I'm going to make it my New Year's resolution to actually leave reviews for every edit I do watch this year, even if it's years old now.

I have seen some fan edits that I haven't reviewed. The reason I typically don't review is if I have very little nice to say. That hasn't happened on this particular site yet as I'm new but with other edits I just didn't want to be negative or be phony. I watched a fan edit recently and the gentlemen spent a great deal of time (years) on upgraded visuals and special effects (stuff I don't know how to do yet) but the actual edit was incredibly jarring. Really bad music cues and transitions. It kind of surprised me to be honest.

I'm relatively new to editing. I started about a year ago. In my case I've spent a year purely on the EDIT. All my time has been spent on getting proper smooth, seamless transitions. To me it seemed logical to get the EDIT complete then AFTER that I could learn about special effects and visual upgrades. In my first year in the general fan edit community I find way too many people are too focused on visuals and the actual transitions are getting the short end of the stick big time. I'm not trying to be rude, I'm just being honest with my experience to date.

For me as a newcomer I don't really want to criticize someone that is so passionate about their project and has spent years on it. As a new guy with a limited skill set it seems kind of strange to be telling some experienced editor that can make upgrades I can't even dream of to go back and spend a few months on their transitions. I guess in a nutshell, if I don't have anything nice to say, I don't say anything at all. Thats why I don't review sometimes.

To be clear I have requested ONE film so far off this site and I'm NOT.....NOT....talking about that particular film. That film I will review eventually.

Back
Top Bottom