• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Why don't people review?

Coming from the viewer side of it, I figure it's the least I can do. If I've asked an editor to spend some time reading & responding to my request I should at least give my thoughts after watching. I can't always get to the viewing right away, but I try to soon after requesting. I have a looong list of edits I want to get but haven't asked yet because of this. I want to try to give a useful review, so watch through that lens a bit which isn't as easy as just sitting back and letting the movie flow; I'll take another look at the WIP thread and the edit list to confirm my thoughts. I assume a lot of people just don't want to or cannot put in that time & effort, so no review.

Interesting topic to discuss... Personally speaking, if I watch an edit I always try and find time to write a review. Admittedly, I don't watch nearly as many edits as I should, but you know, real life does get in the way - plus, the time taken when working on edits yourself does mean you can struggle to find time to watch other people's!
Speaking as an editor, if i'm honest I really do get a thrill whenever I get a review from someone who has taken the time to watch one of my edits. I don't expect people to write reviews though, it's like an added bonus if they do.
Ultimately you edit for yourself - or at least you should. The fanedit you work on is your vision - your take on an already established piece of art. If other people enjoy it and want to submit reviews, that's awesome - but it should be an edit that you're happy with regardless of whether you receive reviews or not.

For me, the interactive aspect of fan-editing is half the fun -- I genuinely don't get why anyone interested enough to request a fan edit wouldn't want to weigh in on the art of editing with praise and/or thoughtful criticism.

I'm not nearly as quick with the reviews as I'd like to be, but I keep a running list of ones I've watched and once a month or so I make a point of spending an afternoon cranking out reviews. (So anyone who has sent me a link and hasn't gotten a review, I promise I haven't forgotten about you, life is just doing that annoying thing where it gets in the way of watching movies.)

My fanedit watchlist is as big as my Amazon/Netflix/Bluray shelf of films to watch. I have every intention to watch them but i ain't making money sitting on a settee :) i've got a family to feed. I suppose i live in a fantasy world of one day, i'll get around to it...just like finishing my edits but i have to prioritise -I know they'll be a time when the kids fly the nest and work is less busy and i can indulge more...but for now i get concerned that some of you editors out there will disappear and i'll be wishing i got those links from you..that's why i do ask for links and save edits. I am a bit of archivist (in the old days that would have been Anarchist :) )
Hey i got into this hobby to make edits i wanna watch and if others enjoy my edits then that is cool. One of my edits has never ever been asked for , let alone been left a review :) and also some of my favourite edits of all time i haven't given a review myself...sorry @TM2YC Blade Runner Penultimate Cut @Wakeupkeo WW84 @L8wrtr IT Book Cut @15MaF Dune Deluxe

I tend to go down rabbit holes with films ...so i'll watch all the Dune edits plus the originals or Star Wars edits at once..just to get in the right frame of mind in order to compare. I did this a few months back with @Wraith GodFather edits

the actual editor is often invisible. people watch the release, enjoy it maybe, and forget who really assembled it. that’s ok because usually (fan) editors are making something for themselves that they hope others will like. has anyone on this forum personally thanked Paul Hirsch lately for editing a certain movie they once watched. 🤔🤔🤣

the actual editor is often invisible. people watch the release, enjoy it maybe, and forget who really assembled it. that’s ok because usually (fan) editors are making something for themselves that they hope others will like. has anyone on this forum personally thanked Paul Hirsch lately for editing a certain movie they once watched. 🤔🤔🤣
I forgot to mention your top notch The Mist edit (y)

Film editing and fanediting are not the same and shouldn't be confused. Films are part of an industry that's in the spotlight, and fanediting is a community that isn't. You don't message Paul Hirsch to personally request something he's created. I reckon that if you did, you probably would feel inclined to thank him.

That's a good point that didn't occur to me. But then, I'm a little OCD about organizing and tagging files; I have a large photo library of my work that I have spent many hours organizing so I can find stuff. That mindset transferred over to my digitized movie collection. Using Plex helps, and I specifically add to the title whose edit it is and add the faneditor as another director. Makes it easy to remember/find who did what edit and helps to prompt me to watch & review.

My fanedit watchlist is as big as my Amazon/Netflix/Bluray shelf of films to watch. I have every intention to watch them
Same here. I have a healthy queue to watch. If you have sent me a link and haven't gotten a review, this is probably the reason.

Its hard to watch other fanedits sometimes if I am so deep in my headspace for the current edit I am working on. I usually end up watching them in between projects.

I don't even get much feedback on my in-the-works threads let alone reviews.
I haven't seen any ITW threads from you lately, but notice releases. Have you been making ITW threads that I've missed?

I haven't seen any ITW threads from you lately, but notice releases. Have you been making ITW threads that I've missed?
I had a thread for my Captain Planet project, I only got one person replying in that, and then I released it shortly after he previewed it for me, but nobody else chimed in.

Here is my latest in-the-works thread

As you can see, only a couple of responses, but nothing on the level of other X-Men related projects here.

Personally, I am new to fanedits and just decided to start leaving reviews of a bunch I’ve seen. I didn’t feel my opinion was valid in how new I am. When I saw the detail that others leave in reviews, I felt like I wasn’t watching the right way. Just my experience!

Personally, I am new to fanedits and just decided to start leaving reviews of a bunch I’ve seen. I didn’t feel my opinion was valid in how new I am. When I saw the detail that others leave in reviews, I felt like I wasn’t watching the right way. Just my experience!
It's your review though. Don't shy away from giving your thoughts how you can and want to🤙

Thanks for sharing @orangeboy that is really useful to know. Perhaps some people do also feel intimidated by the idea or don't feel like their opinion might be valid... I want to try and make it clear to future viewers that any thoughts are most welcome. That is a very useful tidbit. Even if somebody says "I liked it" that means a lot to me because it means it's worthwhile for me to share it.

I feel like I’m both the accuser and the accused when it comes to this topic.

I absolutely love when I get a review for one of my edits. It just feels very rewarding to get feedback, especially from people involved in this specific community. Someone called one of my edits a masterpiece in a review and I took a screenshot and showed all my friends because it honestly meant so much to me. I’m incredibly critical of myself so it’s nice to know people have enjoyed something you worked so hard on. Or even if the review isn’t glowing, it’s nice to be able to take that feedback and grow from it.

That being said, I have absolutely been guilty of telling someone I’d leave them a review and forgetting to do so. It is something I’ve been a lot better about recently though. The other thing I’ve run into is life just being all sorts of dumb and getting in the way sometimes. I still have around five edits I’ve asked the creator for that for one reason or another I haven’t actually been able to watch yet. Now they don’t know that and could just think I watched their edit and promptly moved on.

So yeah, I totally see both sides of this. When I saw this thread opened I definitely felt the pain of the original poster.

Back
Top Bottom