• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

Why don't people review?

I am still a bit new to fan edits.

Question for editors: Do you prefer a review at the actual review page or comments in the forums?

I have left comments giving reviews on forums on this and other websites, but not the “official” review.

I think it is more helpful to post "official" reviews: e.g. when browsing multiple edits of the same film the scores given can provide an immediate basis for comparison, not that this is to be relied of course!

It also means that reviews are all collated together for easier browsing, whereas they might well be distributed among other posts in a project"s forum thread.

I am still a bit new to fan edits.

Question for editors: Do you prefer a review at the actual review page or comments in the forums?

I have left comments giving reviews on forums on this and other websites, but not the “official” review.
Doesn't have to be one or the other. Post anywhere and everywhere you can.

This may be a bit of a non-sequitir, but I just wanted to give a shoutout to @LastSurvivor for this thread they started. It's a brief thank you to people who took the time to leave thoughtful feedback, and I feel like that really does go the extra mile. If anyone would like more reviews of their work, I feel like maybe starting a similar thread would encourage that?

I've dropped some Review Thank You's in my threads, but then stopped as I thought maybe it would be annoying if I kept bumping my threads with thanks.
I'm kinda new around here & don't wanna be a nuisance.
But, I really do think it encourages people to review.

If you're worried about that, reviews have reply functionality. I've used this a couple of times if I wanted to address something a reviewer has said, but mostly I make regular use of the thumbs up button 😅

If you're worried about that, reviews have reply functionality. I've used this a couple of times if I wanted to address something a reviewer has said, but mostly I make regular use of the thumbs up button 😅
I know, but it's nice to get a shout out in the official thread.
I also just use the thumbs up.

When I post my stuff to sites like YouTube the comment section is the most I’ll ever get as far as “reviews” are concerned. Most reviews are short and not very informative other than what they liked or didn’t like. Some are very lengthy and dive deeper. If you keep your expectations low you won’t feel disappointed in regards to feedback. Ideally what we are all doing is just taking an art work and rearranging it to how we like it. Most people aren’t going to care all that much. Who are we to re-sculpt a master piece?

Unless you build a reputation and/or move up the ladder of prominence (like a Zack Schneider who re-edited the Justice League movie) I wouldn’t expect too much of people to want to care.

I find this very relatable to photography websites. People are more interested in promoting their art than critiquing others. Most critiques that do happen are one word reactions or technical (equipment) questions. Rarely does anyone articulate specific feedback.

In my opinion, and that’s all it is, be grateful for whatever feedback you get.

Artists are terrible at marketing. We suck at promoting our work. It requires constant persistence. Maybe you have friend that is better suited for that that could help you get more noticed outside of this sphere.

Last edited:
I've had quite a few positive reactions to edits. That said: I'd rather have 6 actual reviews than 30: 'It was nice.' posts. Knowing I truly entertained those 6 people is enough for me.

I was just thinking about this thread. Is this an issue anymore? I am seeing SOO many reviews as of late! Its awesome!

I was just thinking about this thread. Is this an issue anymore? I am seeing SOO many reviews as of late! Its awesome!

I was looking at some the other day and was surprised that it only takes ~4 reviews to be in the Top 1000 reviewers and ~9 to be in the Top 500, ~100 to be in Top 50, and ~150 to be in Top 10. (just general number ranges based on scrolling through a handful of review sections)

I'm not really sure whether to interpret it as a lot of people just leave one review, or most reviewing is done by a small group of people, but either way the numbers surprised and interested me.

Back
Top Bottom