• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Why DLC/Rar Files and Not Direct Video File

The Fanedit Network

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I have a question. How come when editing some fan editors don't just convert files to video format directly? Meaning that instead of when storing in the cloud etc, the rar/DLC files are what's there and not a MP4 or MKV file directky available. This 'might' sound like a confusing or ridiculous question (to some) but to me as a viewer and not fan editor it is easier. Just a curious question. Thanks. :)

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the benefits of archive formats would be somewhat smaller storage filesize, password protection, encryption, easier to resume large downloads. that said I don't like them much either and prefer video format on google drive.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The point is to be more difficult to access. It's a feature, not a bug.

See, back in the before time, the site used to have far fewer rules, then got a DMCA takedown. Then the people and site developed rules and methods of sharing their work that was less easy to access for those outside the community, so as to not kill the hobby necessarily, but at least get the targets off their backs. And the thinking with file formats was, if its not easy, pirates won't consider fanedits to be an easy loophole through which they can pirate.

And it worked, the site lives on, and Fanedits are not immediately associated with piracy. People who don't know or remember sometimes get annoyed but if they can't be patient enough to find the edit they can ask the editor. Times are a changing, so we'll see where it ends up.

Last edited:

ChainsawAsh

Reaction score
Trophy Points
There's also the fact that a lot of editors here got their start long before "the cloud" was a thing. Believe it or not, there was a time when links to multiple RAR archives inside a DLC container was the safest and easiest way to distribute fan edits, particularly large files (and I'm talking back when an 8.5 GB DVD-9 was considered a very large file).

A lot of editors still use the same methods because "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," and believe it or not a lot of "cloud storage" solutions (like Google Drive) have a lot of their own problems and usually cost money to maintain, and many fan editors prefer to keep their costs down as much as possible since they obviously can't recoup any costs through distribution.

The Fanedit Network

Reaction score
Trophy Points
the benefits of archive formats would be somewhat smaller storage filesize, password protection, encryption, easier to resume large downloads. that said I don't like them much either and prefer video format on google drive.
True. The benefits for the editors makes sense. I don't mind the conversion, I'm just lazy at times lol. As you stated though, I as well much prefer formats like GDrive for example.

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Using tools available, one the dlc is located, it's not much harder than a direct download. Heck, finding the edit became half the fun. But then, I'm warped and remember the days when a download started with the handshake tone (screaming 300 baud!)

Heavisyde

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
If I'm not mistaken, video files are less likely to get taken down if they're in RAR format, especially broken up into parts (I may be wrong on that though). Also, if you've got a very large file you can store the files across two accounts (e.g. two free 15GB MEGA accs) and create a DLC that downloads from both.

Top Bottom