• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Which Superman Returns fanedit should I watch?

Which Superman Returns fanedit should I watch?

• Superman Resolved

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Superman Restored

• Superman Returned - A Tomahawk Re-Edit

• Superman Returns - Fanedited by Booshman

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Superman Returns: Kryptonite Runtime Edition

• Superman Returns: The ADigitalMan Cut

• Superman Returns: The SteveJo86 Cut

• Total voters
  • Poll votes is visible for users with special permission.
  • Poll closed .

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm planning on watching Superman: Son of Jor-El this weekend, which I've heard excellent things about. After that, I'd like to watch a Superman Returns fanedit. I've seen The Superman Returns by Avid 4D, which was excellent, but I haven't seen any others, and looking through the numerous ones listed, I'm having trouble picking one. Which Superman fanedit would you recommend I watch with Superman: Son of Jor-El, and why?

The ones I know of that are listed on IFDB:
Superman Resolved
Superman Restored
Superman Returned - A Tomahawk Re-Edit
Superman Returns - Fanedited by Booshman
Superman Returns: Kryptonite Runtime Edition
Superman Returns: The ADigitalMan Cut
Superman Returns: The SteveJo86 Cut

If there are any you'd recommend that I missed, feel free to post about it. Thanks so much for your help!

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's not Superman Returns exactly but works relatively well with Son of Jor El (since that one uses S1 and S2), I'd highly recommend Superman Redeemed (which merges S3 and S4 into one decent film), edited by ADigitalMan.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
It's not Superman Returns exactly but works relatively well with Son of Jor El (since that one uses S1 and S2), I'd highly recommend Superman Redeemed (which merges S3 and S4 into one decent film), edited by ADigitalMan.

Hmm. I'll think about it. I'm not really a fan of Superman III and IV, but at that runtime, you might be able to find enough good things in them to make an interesting movie. And from what I read in the description, it sounds like the evil computer has been completely removed, and that's definitely good to hear. I'd definitely still like to hear people's opinions on which is the best Superman Returns fanedit, but you have piqued my interest.

Masirimso17

Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I used to love Superman Returns, but now, in my opinion, it's so terrible it is unfixable. This review proves it:

Yes, my opinion changed because of this review. Is it bad to be convinced by others about an opinion? I don't think so.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Masirimso17 said:
I used to love Superman Returns, but now, in my opinion, it's so terrible it is unfixable. This review proves it:

Yes, my opinion changed because of this review. Is it bad to be convinced by others about an opinion? I don't think so.

Not what I asked for. Thanks for the free bump, anyway.

addiesin

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Booshman is an excellent editor, I'd go ahead and recommend that one. I also have seen Superman Restored and I remember it being pretty good. Both have some great color correction work done to them and I think you'll enjoy them since you seem to like the source film and they're not totally radical with their changes.

Son of Suns

Reaction score
Trophy Points
addiesin said:
Booshman is an excellent editor, I'd go ahead and recommend that one. I also have seen Superman Restored and I remember it being pretty good. Both have some great color correction work done to them and I think you'll enjoy them since you seem to like the source film and they're not totally radical with their changes.

Thanks for the recommendations. I should probably give a little more info on how I feel about Superman Returns. The plot was fairly poor. I didn't much care for the kid (I loved The Superman Returns for this reason--he managed to seamlessly edit out the kid). The character development was lacking. What I loved were the moments that felt like Superman (particularly the plane rescue, that scene alone beats all of Man of Steel in my opinion, though I can appreciate that movie as well in its own right). I really enjoyed Kevin Spacey's performance as Lex Luthor. I'm kind of looking for a fresh experience, so I'm okay with a radical edit. That being said, I'll appreciate seeing any solid edit, regardless of how much was changed.

Thanks again for your recommendation!

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
"The Superman Returns" by Avid 4D is by far the best "Superman Returns" fanedit thus far, in my opinion. His complete removal of Jason is impressive in and of itself, but he also improved the pacing and reshuffled some things around to make the third act of the movie more action-packed.

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Isn't there a Superman Returns edit which makes it so that Superman didn't leave, but had retired the Clark Kent identity and was just living on the farm while being Superman pretty much 24-7? Or am I imagining that?

The Superman Returns is an interesting edit, though the ending didn't work for me as it seemed a bit too abrupt - a drastic new take on the film though, with some very clever ways of manipulating the story into a different shape.

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
coinilius said:
Isn't there a Superman Returns edit which makes it so that Superman didn't leave, but had retired the Clark Kent identity and was just living on the farm while being Superman pretty much 24-7? Or am I imagining that?
I believe one member proposed the idea of making such an edit, but has not yet actually made it.

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:
I believe one member proposed the idea of making such an edit, but has not yet actually made it.

That might be why I couldn't find it anywhere then!

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
hbenthow said:

Are you referring to my edit "Superman V"? I actually did make it, but I was a newcomer to editing at the time and looking back, it was pretty patchy, so I decided against sharing it. I fully intend to remount it in the future though

coinilius

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Are you referring to my edit "Superman V"? I actually did make it, but I was a newcomer to editing at the time and looking back, it was pretty patchy, so I decided against sharing it. I fully intend to remount it in the future though

What did that one entail, Zarius? Did you have a WIP thread for it, or was it discussed in your ideas?

Zarius

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
coinilius said:
What did that one entail, Zarius? Did you have a WIP thread for it, or was it discussed in your ideas?

I had a WIP thread for it, there's some samples uploaded there, you can find it in the inactive section

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
You should watch mine! Although that's not finished yet... (end shameless self-promotion)...
I have Avid4D his Man of Steel edit lying around, maybe I should watch his Superman trilogy first, because the Returns portion about Jason definitely sounds interesting [MENTION=8666]hbenthow[/MENTION]. Do you mean REALLY remove him out of every shot (roto and the whole works) ?

hbenthow

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Zarius said:
Yes, that sounds like the one.

EDIT: It's definitely the one. I did an advanced search of the Fanedit.org forums using your username and the keyword "Superman", and found the thread. Here it is:

http://www.fanedit.org/forums/showt...lete-Original-amp-Redux-Workprints-Availible)

Kal-El said:
I have Avid4D his Man of Steel edit lying around, maybe I should watch his Superman trilogy first, because the Returns portion about Jason definitely sounds interesting hbenthow. Do you mean REALLY remove him out of every shot (roto and the whole works) ?
Every trace of him is completely removed from the movie. I don't think any rotoscoping was necessary. If I'm not mistaken, he just removed all of the shots of Jason, and maybe cropped him out of some shots. He removed several entire scenes that originally featured Jason, such as all of Lois Lane's scenes on Luthor's boat.

njvc

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
On a related note, does anyone know if an editor has rescored Superman Returns using the original Williams score? I'd be interested in seeing that version.

Kal-El

Reaction score
Trophy Points
njvc said:
On a related note, does anyone know if an editor has rescored Superman Returns using the original Williams score? I'd be interested in seeing that version.

While not exactly the same thing, there are clips of that on YouTube :)

Top Bottom