• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What to do when adding stereo deleted scenes to 6/8-track movie?

korach1921

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently trying to make an extended version of a film, but the deleted scenes are in stereo, while the movie is 5.1. What I've done so far is downmix the stereo to mono and add it to the center track, but that obviously means that every other track is silent for the duration of the scene. Should I add music or sound effects in the other tracks? Is there a method people generally use for this?

Maybe combined mono to central, left to left and right to right? You may also filter out dialogue from left and right channel and keep it only in mixed mono for central one, but I am not sure how good will that sound.

I would just downmix movie audio to stereo but I don't care for 5.1 sound.

I would copy/paste the L, R, and rear channels from other parts of the movie, preferably from the same scene. If the new scenes are short, no one will probably notice. You can also use AI tools to separate the dialogue from the music and create separate tracks that way.

A second option is to import your own foley and music. A fan editor should have a library of sounds, but if you don't there are lots of free options and libraries on the internet.

Audacity has a vocal remover sfx that works well on stereo tracks. You can use that to create a semi-clean soundtrack track that you can then use as a base to build the surround channels.

Hmm, I doubt deleted scenes would be encoded for ProLogic, but I wonder if there’d be a good way to decode them to discrete channels? It won’t be great but if the ProLogic is there it may be the best bet.

If the preceding and/or following shots have music, then the soundtrack CD may help. Line up the music from the relevant track and level match to continue the music into the deleted scene.

The question whether to stick dialog only in the center channel or (also) in L and R, depends on the film: it should be consistent with the scenes before and after the inserted scene.

My method:

This tool will convert 2.0 tracks to 5.1. And sometimes with 2 channel deleted scenes, it is actually a downmix from surround, so the tool is able to intelligently revert it back to surround:

Then I use something like freesound.org (free) or .zapsplat.com (paid) to add in ambience to the other channels. Like traffic noise, restaurant noise, house ambience, etc. It can be helpful to add in ambience to the center channel as well especially in extended scenes where you want to match the ambience of the previous scene.

As is often the case with deleted scenes, the audio might be rough/unfinished meaning you may need to add in basic foley sounds, use noise reduction, EQ the dialogue, and adjust the volume.

The halo upmix tool can also be used to quickly add in music tracks in 5.1 without having to make multiple tracks and an LFE track yourself.

EDIT: @Hal9000 halo upmix may be interesting to you as well.

Last edited:
My method:

This tool will convert 2.0 tracks to 5.1. And sometimes with 2 channel deleted scenes, it is actually a downmix from surround, so the tool is able to intelligently revert it back to surround:

Then I use something like freesound.org (free) or .zapsplat.com (paid) to add in ambience to the other channels. Like traffic noise, restaurant noise, house ambience, etc. It can be helpful to add in ambience to the center channel as well especially in extended scenes where you want to match the ambience of the previous scene.

As is often the case with deleted scenes, the audio might be rough/unfinished meaning you may need to add in basic foley sounds, use noise reduction, EQ the dialogue, and adjust the volume.

The halo upmix tool can also be used to quickly add in music tracks in 5.1 without having to make multiple tracks and an LFE track yourself.

@krausfadr with another editing pro tip and another post bookmarked!

My method:

Is this a standalone software or do you need a DAW to run it?

Hmm, I doubt deleted scenes would be encoded for ProLogic, but I wonder if there’d be a good way to decode them to discrete channels? It won’t be great but if the ProLogic is there it may be the best bet.
Even if they aren't pro logic encoded an upmix using that algorithm would still automatically filter the dialogue to the front (although it will bleed quite a bit to the front left and right but not the back) and the music and Ambiant noise to the back. No specific behind camera effects but if it's mostly a dialogue scene it should be okay, probably some other tricks you could use to reduce the dialogue bleed for fl and fr. I'm pretty sure there are software mixers out there. I know I've used one before but I can't remember what it was.

EDIT: Didn't see the tool listed above. It looks like it probably has that capability.

I use it in Resolve. And have used it before in Premiere as well. In Resolve I add it onto a single track formatted as 5.1 channel. The stereo channels of the clip are assigned to L and R.

I use it in Resolve. And have used it before in Premiere as well. In Resolve I add it onto a single track formatted as 5.1 channel. The stereo channels of the clip are assigned to L and R.
How do you plug it into resolve though? Is there a specific command/action in fairlight? Is there a tutorial for this?

Latest version of resolve accepts VST3.

Back
Top Bottom