• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What part of editing do you like least?

MadArtMart

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Obviously we all enjoy editing or we wouldn't be here. But I have to admit that if I have to add sound FX for footsteps, my enthusiasm gets turned down some :ROFLMAO:. So I was wondering what things other get annoyed by?
When you're right in the middle of editing a shot and in the moment, especially with some of the more fiddly work (that can be in 4K, making the computer a lot slower), when the autosave kicks in.
Or when the program monitor glitches due to something it doesn't like (like an effect) and it doesn't fix itself until you restart Premiere.
Those aside though, I love editing!

Bobson Dugnutt

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly I don't mind getting all the files and everything organised, it's satisfying seeing it all nice and neat, before I end up messing up my folder structure throughout the editing production

Wraith

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Honestly I don't mind getting all the files and everything organised, it's satisfying seeing it all nice and neat, before I end up messing up my folder structure throughout the editing production
That is sooo true….
SAVES
RENDERS
TESTS
SOURCE
ASSETS
ARTWORK
AUDIO
MUSIC….
Then the naming nomenclature for renders, tests etc….

Can be a mess by the end…

The Warlord

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
The last steps for me. I try to be a perfectionist, so pre-final render there's always that element of shall I/shant I on last minute changes or cuts that may or may not be needed.

encom.edit

Reaction score
Trophy Points
My recent fanedit involved removing the dialogue from a film. But as a result of the cutting and trimming, the subtitles didn't line up anymore. 3 months of work to get each sentence back into its correct place!

krausfadr

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
My recent fanedit involved removing the dialogue from a film. But as a result of the cutting and trimming, the subtitles didn't line up anymore. 3 months of work to get each sentence back into its correct place!
Yeah manual subs even on foreign language parts can get monotonous. Also you can import the SRT file as a video track in some NLE’s and cut it right along with the video.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
When after months and months of creative block you finally get your mind in the space to edit, your files prepped, and then real life wakes you up like an early morning alarm clock.⏰

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Part that I like the least is the whole marketing stuff that floats around it. for example, cover or poster design. I like to think I'm competent in it, but whenever I do 2d art design, i crave feedback and I don't have any place to get that. It always feels to me like it's a big waste of time with almost zero payoff.

KVG198X

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Obviously we all enjoy editing or we wouldn't be here. But I have to admit that if I have to add sound FX for footsteps, my enthusiasm gets turned down some :ROFLMAO:. So I was wondering what things other get annoyed by?
Definitely the audio... Although I'm just a newbie; in my latest project, my first release had terribly loud audio. So I finished up an extensive rework of the sound and about a day after I posted it someone told me about audio ducking in the program I've been using and I felt like an idiot lol. The only other issue I have is when audio (usually a dramatic moment) bleeds between two scenes and also into the center channel I use for my edits. Everything else I love, putting the pieces together, finding the perfect track for the moment.

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
For me the least enjoyable part is always the last set of edits before it's complete. My process usually goes Watch (and take notes) -> Rough Edit -> Rewatch (final notes) -> Final edit -> Release... And for long TV series that final edit often has hours worth of recuts and changes before it's a final product, cutting extra scenes, fixing continuity errors, cleaning up transitions that were a bit messy, etc.

So I often have a few large edits sitting around almost complete just waiting for me to feel the inspiration to revisit the last list of edit notes and polish everything off. I like the creativity of analyzing and planning the edits when I'm watching and taking the notes on the rough cut, but once that's done it's just a rote task of executing the final cuts and making sure the transitions are done cleanly, so it's more of a chore than anything.

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like you might benefit from a different approach? What if you were to make sure your transitions are perfect first time? It might require a little mental discipline, but it would leave you with a lot less to deal with on your second pass.

Last edited:

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Going back to fix some errors, that's for sure.

unfair

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Sounds like you might benefit from a different approach? What if you were to make sure your transitions are perfect first time? It might require a little mental discipline, but it would leave you with a lot less to deal with on your second pass.
Most of the editing is changes from the rough cut, it's more the length of the content than anything - for a movie I can easily knock a whole edit out in an evening, TV shows are where I sometimes shelve them for a while at the final stage until I'm in the mood to put in the work.

For example I just finished an edit of For All Mankind (2019), the show is about 30 hours long total and after the first watch I had about 125 lines of notes for my rough edit. Once I knocked that out I rewatched it and ended up with around 60 items that needed to be changed, only a couple of which were transitions that felt rough.

There's nothing particularly wrong with that amount, it's just the nature of taking a 30 hour show and condensing it into 9 hours. There were a handful of lines of dialogue to cut that referenced scenes I had dropped, other notes on scenes that should be moved forward or back to improve the flow, or removed entirely, etc.

And that's one of the easier ones - I have The Mentalist sitting there waiting to be polished and released, and that show was a daunting 150 episodes which I've managed to cull down to 30 that just need final touches. But it's still a few lines of notes per episode so probably half a day of work left before it's complete. I just don't force a specific release schedule to avoid getting burned out by doing stuff when I don't want to do it - it's a hobby, it should be fun :)

tremault

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
And that's one of the easier ones - I have The Mentalist sitting there waiting to be polished and released, and that show was a daunting 150 episodes which I've managed to cull down to 30 that just need final touches.
I don't think I'd have the guts to try something like that! Yes, that is definitely a lot to deal with!

CalebScott

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Adding captions is a nightmare for me when it's a particularly long segment over 10 minutes.
I know these can be auto created, or included with the media,
but when you want some custom captions for a foreign language segment of a film for example, it's tedious.

Ray Danger

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm dreading the subtitle work that will come when I start my Godzilla series project....
Ive done a little subtitleing. It's just so tedious.

Top Bottom