• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What part of editing do you like least?

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Obviously we all enjoy editing or we wouldn't be here. But I have to admit that if I have to add sound FX for footsteps, my enthusiasm gets turned down some :ROFLMAO:. So I was wondering what things other get annoyed by?

POP removals from renders that were not there during master renders or testing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(I actually enjoyed putting in Dr Staples heels across the car park in SUG....) SATISFYING!

I love puzzling over altering the narrative and pacing, including details like moving cutaway shots / shortening (or lengthening) scenes, in search of a new balance that satisfies my take on the movie.
I dislike once that's figured out, but I still have 20% of the work left to do.

If I was less stubborn (to see edits through to the end), I'd be the faneditor version of an ABD, Anything But Dissertation, i.e. a former PhD student who completed the research but couldn't sit still long enough to write it all out.

I dislike once that's figured out, but I still have 20% of the work left to do.
This. The last 20 or so percent is always the roughest. Finishing is the hardest and least favorite for me.
If I was less stubborn (to see edits through to the end), I'd be the faneditor version of an ABD, Anything But Dissertation, i.e. a former PhD student who completed the research but couldn't sit still long enough to write it all out.
I'm just going to put these on and pretend no one cans see me.

big-daddy-deal-with-it.gif

I agree with Wraith, when the NLE messes up the edit during the render that can get really annoying. I had the most problems with temperamental renders with Final Cut (audio crackles) and Premiere (glitches that crashed the render). It was nothing that punching the monitor and throwing it out the window couldn’t solve.

editing anything (unless we are talking straight cuts) that has 5.1 (or more) audio is a pain in the ass.

Rendering and re-rendering edits because of visual or audio glitches that didn't show up in actual software.

I'm almost done, dammit! Just let it be done!

Like God, at least with sound editing my lizard brain gets that sweet satisfaction of how it all sounds when it's done. But errors outside my control drive me up a wall.

I usually just edit things together from various different movies, shows, documentaries, etc as a form of personal therapy. So whenever I feel I need that one shot of obsucre movie X, I have to look for a source. Also, when I think I no longer need a particular movie or show and delete the blu ray files, I usually end up needing it again few weeks later. One particular sequence of about 20 minutes took me about half a year to edit, because each shot is just a 20-100 frames long.

100% preparing the source(s) for me. When I get an idea for an edit, I want to do it now, not a day later when everything is properly prepped. It's got to be done though.
Spent yesterday doing this......so much prepping...

Clearing the space on my hard drive for the next rip and the inevitable batch of render files. Then organizing all of the files into folders, pretty much everything before I have premiere open and can finally start splicing. Once I'm in the edit, audio is really not my area of expertise. But it is also extremely satisfying to cut to a piece of music and watch a scene come together when it's all said and done.

Also, adding subtitles! It's typically the last thing I do, and as there is no way to sync a subtitle track to a fan edit (that I'm aware of), I type each line individually in whatever scene calls for them.

Clearing the space on my hard drive for the next rip and the inevitable batch of render files. Then organizing all of the files into folders, pretty much everything before I have premiere open and can finally start splicing. Once I'm in the edit, audio is really not my area of expertise. But it is also extremely satisfying to cut to a piece of music and watch a scene come together when it's all said and done.

Also, adding subtitles! It's typically the last thing I do, and as there is no way to sync a subtitle track to a fan edit (that I'm aware of), I type each line individually in whatever scene calls for them.
I could be wrong, but I think Dwight Fry has a way to do that with subs?

In some NLE’s you can import the subtitle as an SRT. It shows up as a video track that you can slice right along with the video. In Resolve you cut and move the subtitle to nudge the timing as well.

Has to be a close tie between audio levelling and subtitling. The bits where you’ve done the fun, creative part and you are just timing text and looking at sound level bars…

So far it's definitely fiddling with subtitles. Figuring out exports and compression levels etc. is also a headache.

I could be wrong, but I think Dwight Fry has a way to do that with subs?
Happy Rainbow GIF by Morphin

I use VisualSubSync, which is a walk in the park compared to the way I used to do it back in the day (counting exactly how many frames I had cut at each place, then substract exactly as many in Subtitle Workshop. It was hell.)

Back
Top Bottom