• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What movies have a lot of deleted scenes?

What Dreams May Come has about a 10 minute alternate ending, though it's good that it was never used...

Crimson713 said:
Fury was incredible. It's emotional, the action is visceral, and Brad Pitt gives an outstanding performance. David Ayer (director) even got an emotional and believable performance out of Actual Cannibal Shia LaBeouf, of all people. One of my all time favorite war films (although nothing comes close to Saving Private Ryan). Any time somebody claims David Ayer carries all the blame for Suicide Squad being bad, I tell them to watch Fury.

Never seen Fury but +10 comedy points for the Rob Cantor reference. I have always thought that Shia is a talented actor, just a giant douchebag who also makes bad choices. I'm going to add Fury to my list to watch, thanks.

DigModiFicaTion said:
What Dreams May Come has about a 10 minute alternate ending, though it's good that it was never used...

*shudder* agree 100%

thecuddlyninja said:
Never seen Fury but +10 comedy points for the Rob Cantor reference. I have always thought that Shia is a talented actor, just a giant douchebag who also makes bad choices. I'm going to add Fury to my list to watch, thanks.

He's super talented, and he really shines in Fury. But yeah, he's a douchenozzle for sure.

Dirty sanchez the movie has 90 minutes of unseen stunts

The rough cut of Caddyshack was apparently 4 1/2 hours and had a much bigger focus on the caddies and their relationships. As well as MANY deleted jokes. Never been released though, only 4 of those deleted scenes are in the network TV edit (Carl riding a huge lawncutting machine and then golfing with Ty, Dr. Beeper getting locked out of his car, Danny's mom scolding him on the way to the pool party, and an alternate take of "we're all gonna get laid" where he says "lets all take a shower"). One deleted scene (Carl Lawncutting machine) is shown briefly in the "making of" featurette on the DVD.

Similarly all 3 Naked Gun movies have many deleted scenes in their respective TV edits, but have never been released on DVD/Blu Ray.

It's A Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World has several different cuts. The rough cut was 5 hrs long and shortened to 3 1/2 hrs for the premiere, eventually going down to 2hrs 40mins for the general release. The laserdisc restores it to 3hrs 2mins and the criterion blu ray restores it to 3hrs 17mins. There's at least one or two scenes only on the laserdisc release.

Shane Meadow's first cut of This is England was nearly five hours long if memory serves me correct.  I guess there was a lot of improvisational stuff in there,  not sure how much if any of it made it on to the physical release though.  The final film runs just 101 mins

Mrs Doubtfire has 32 minutes of deleted scenes with a lot more alternate takes and extended scenes as well. There is an entire deleted subplot with Daniel as Mrs Doubtfire convincing the old lady next door, who called Miranda at work and thus causing his divorce, to put dog urine on her beloved flowers therefore killing them. "What kind of mother puts dog piss on her babies?" There's also more of Miranda/Daniel's post-divorce relationship with a lengthy scene after the reveal of Daniel=Doubtfire them arguing and some more wacky Mrs Doubtfire scenes. All of this would of made the film 2:30+ but I would of loved to see some of these scenes back in the film. 

Mel Gibson in Payback had a radically different spin when it came out in theaters.  The original cut was sort of re-released years later.  Ages ago before that I ebay'd a Nth generation copy of the workprint.  It's awful in quality.  Interesting in the pacing and other bits that didn't make it into both released versions, like in the end he's shot to hell, climbs into the car with the gal to get away, but forgets the money on the curb.

Here's a sample of the copy I had

TinyBreadMouse said:
Fury any good?

Fury has a lot of great performances, including Pitt, Lebouf, and everyone will now recognize Jon Bernthal just chewing up the scenery.  I think the narrative struggles to find focus though, so ultimately you'd struggle to justify it in a top 20 war film list.  I don't think it manages to find out what it has to "add to the conversation", so to speak.  But if The Big Red One is up your alley, it's well worth a watch.

Some films with lots of deleted footage are well known to some on this site already: Donnie Darko, Boogie Nights, the Lethal Weapons, Prometheus, the Harry PottersOnce Upon a Time in Hollywood is scheduled to have a lot, and to the list we can add Creed, Disturbing Behavior, About Schmidt, and The Dead Poet's Society.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me has an entire movie's worth of deleted and extended material, dubbed The Missing Pieces when finally released on the Entire Mystery and Criterion Blu Rays. Q2 and Agent Sam Stanley have both produced different edits reintegrating the footage into the film, and both, I think, make for a stronger narrative, especially heading into The Return. Some stuff you can't believe they made Lynch cut, such as the extended Above The Convenience Store sequence that has a lot of clues and info about the series' mythology and cosmology.

Devil Wears Prada has a bunch of them, nothing really good except for famous 'thank you' scene:

I remember watching them all on dvd and thought there were more than 17 minutes, maybe even 30-40, but should check it again.

Generally Zack Snyder movies are originally few hours long, like there is cut over 3 hours long of Man of Steel, consisting mainly of longer Malick-like takes, where someone is walking longer etc (as you can see in teaser trailer)

The missing 17 minutes of Space Odyssei 2001 were find few years ago in a salt mine in Kansas, but they are not avaible and don't add anything to the story. Kubrick chopped as much dialogue as possible and for such unique movie that was a good move. Anyway listed here:

• Some shots from the "Dawn of Man" sequence were removed, and a new scene was inserted where an ape pauses with the bone it is about to use as a tool. The new scene was a low-angle shot of the monolith, done in order to portray and clarify the connection between the man-ape using the tool and the monolith.
  • Some shots of Frank Poole jogging in the centrifuge were removed.
  • An entire sequence of several shots in which Dave Bowman searches for the replacement antenna part in storage was removed.
  • A scene where HAL severs radio communication between the "Discovery" and Poole's pod before killing him was removed. This scene explains a line that stayed in the film in which Bowman addresses HAL on the subject.
  • Some shots of Poole's space walk before he is killed were removed.

Do any of the X-Men movies have a good amount of deleted footage? Perhaps some from Dark Phoenix that were either reshot or remains unreleased on home media.

I've seen a lot of mention of Xmen The Last Stand's deleted scenes, but I'm unsure how much there is.

I remember watching a documentary on John Hughes and Ferris Bueller a couple months ago and hearing that the original film was nearly 3 hours long, I'm pretty sure it is impossible though to get hold of the deleted scenes.

^Hughes was far too savvy to think an audience wanted a 3 hour comedy.  He always made his films with an eye towards connecting with an audience.  That sounds like a "rough cut", the first step after a footage assembly.

mnkykungfu said:
^Hughes was far too savvy to think an audience wanted a 3 hour comedy.  He always made his films with an eye towards connecting with an audience.  That sounds like a "rough cut", the first step after a footage assembly.

Maybe I misheard what it said, either way theres still got to be some deleted scenes on the Blu-ray, dvd etc;

I like these scenes, give some depth to the characters (i.e. the twist with Chloe Grace-Moretz is better built up).

Personally, I really like the first half of Dark Shadows, and adding some deleted material and cutting some scenes from the weaker second half could strengthen the movie. It's weird there's no fanedit yet : P

Apocalypse Now! That movie is the grand motherload of unused footage! I have read and own Walter Murch's book, In The Blink of an Eye (A great read for any editor, aspiring, fan, or otherwise), and he says in the book that the amount of film that was printed for Apocalypse Now was 1,250,000 feet, or in simple terms, just over 230 hours.

I like these scenes, give some depth to the characters (i.e. the twist with Chloe Grace-Moretz is better built up).

Personally, I really like the first half of Dark Shadows, and adding some deleted material and cutting some scenes from the weaker second half could strengthen the movie. It's weird there's no fanedit yet : P
I actually was planning an edit like that, I bought the film solely for editing purposes immediately after watching it on Netflix. Who knows when I'll actually get to it, but feel free to message me about ideas for specific scenes you'd like to see cut or anything.

I remember watching a documentary on John Hughes and Ferris Bueller a couple months ago and hearing that the original film was nearly 3 hours long, I'm pretty sure it is impossible though to get hold of the deleted scenes.
There's a Youtube Channel called "Hats Off Entertainment" that has some good videos on material cut out of both Planes, Trains, and Automobiles, and Uncle Buck. I always thought the look on the wife's face at the end of Planes, Trains was strange. Now I know why.

Back
Top Bottom