• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What Movie, or combination of movies, are good choices for practicing fan editing?

CalebScott

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
What Movie, or combination of movies, are good choices for practicing fan editing?
I've heard for example, simply trying to put Pulp Fiction into chorological order, is a good starting point, any others?

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I personally started by just messing around with one of my favorite films. I trimmed bits here and there, insignificant or annoying moments. This ended up becoming my first full edit, but it started as just some practice. So my take is that you should start just messing around with shortening a favorite film.
On another note, l once put Resevoir Dogs in chronological order for fun, and l'd actually reccomend that over Pulp Fiction for practice.

DigModiFicaTion

DᴉმWoqᴉԷᴉcɑꓕᴉou
Staff member
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think the best place to start is a light approach to a film you like. Something that is manageable and attainable.

lantern51

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree, something simple to start. You don't want a project so big that it takes you years to get it right (unlike me LOL). Try taking out a scene or 2 and then see what it takes to correct the audio. I find audio to be about 70% of the work.

This may also make you want to try the same scene removals in different software to see what you feel works best for your personal style and flow.

Lastly, don't be afraid to ask questions and read the helpful forums that are already on here. I have found this to be a very welcoming community.

henzINNIT

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I agree with the sentiments expressed so far. I would say it's less about finding something 'editable', and more about finding something you enjoy personally and something that speaks to you in terms of 'fixes' or changes. Definitely start small. An early one for me was Terminator 3, because I enjoyed the film but it had a few lines that I wanted to chop. Pretty simple tweaks but every change is a little more complicated than you'd expect.

Eyepainter

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I guess I'm the only one who did it the wrong way!:LOL: I started off by fan editing the one franchise everyone has fanedited. That of the Star Wars prequels! I suppose that route isn't a bad start, although at the time, I hadn't realized that people could fanedit just about anything!

Looking back, I think I'm starting to agree more with what everyone else has said. Basically, pick something that looks like fun and could use a good fixing, and start with that! Sometimes that's all there is to it!

Top Bottom