• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
While traveling have read:
THE GIRL WITH THE DRAGON TATTOO "Män som hatar kvinnor" (Swedish for "Men who hate women) This debut thriller--the first in a trilogy from the late Stieg Larsson--is a serious page-turner rivaling the best of Charlie Huston and Michael Connelly. Mikael Blomkvist, a once-respected financial journalist, watches his professional life rapidly crumble around him. Prospects appear bleak until an unexpected (and unsettling) offer to resurrect his name is extended by an old-school titan of Swedish industry. The catch--and there's always a catch--is that Blomkvist must first spend a year researching a mysterious disappearance that has remained unsolved for nearly four decades. With few other options, he accepts and enlists the help of investigator Lisbeth Salander, a misunderstood genius with a cache of authority issues. Little is as it seems in Larsson's novel, but there is at least one constant: you really don't want to mess with the girl with the dragon tattoo.
An amazing read. will make a great movie if handle right.

MIDWINTER The Dirty Dozen meets The Lord of the Ring.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. A devastatingly real post-apocalyptic movie.
The prose is beautiful. almost like poetry. The ending is well earned.
I hope the movie stays true to the book.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
Just finished THE ROAD by Cormac McCarthy. A devastatingly real post-apocalyptic movie.
The prose is beautiful. almost like poetry. The ending is well earned.
I hope the movie stays true to the book.

I picked up this book about a year or two ago. I had never heard of it nor the author, nor the fact the book won a Pulitzer. Something about the title made me pick it up... and then I read the back. I love post-apocalyptic material and this is another book I have been wanting to read since then

I have also seen and heard the press picking up on this one more and more. I should read it before the movie comes out and some jackass spoils most of it for me.

the Da Vinci Code is another book that falls into this category. I still have not read it and so far have avoided everything about the film (including watching it), though I did see the 2000 specials the History channel made

just finished
Next stop: Growing up Wild style in the Bronx by Ivan Sanchez
It was an amazing and great read (review for that can be found on the first page to this post)

thanks Jorge, it looks like I will finally read the Road next :)

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
tranzor said:
I should read it before the movie comes out and some jackass spoils most of it for me.
Ha. That's exactly why I did read it. :)

FatherMerrin

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Milton's - Paradise Lost
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Paradise-Lost-O ... 0192833197

I've just started this so I've got a long way to go. The BBC recently did a Poetry Season which I really enjoyed & learnt a lot. Lucky for me they did a special on Paradise Lost, so that should help me get a good handle on the book. Also, I never knew Dylan's Desolation Row was heavily influenced by T.S Eliot's Wasteland. So if anyone has any good Poets or Poetry they'd like to recommend that would be great.

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just read The Graveyard Book by Neil Gaiman, which I really enjoyed.
I always get this kind of sinking feeling when thinking about film adaptations of books set in the UK, because they always transplant it out of there and into some US town I don't care about.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished reading The Road"

It was a little slow going at first but was I sucked in shortly thereafter.

Read it before they f*ck it up with some screwy movie adaption that will probably have kid rock or hip hop music in it somewhere

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Paul of Dune by Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson
I am a huge Dune fan but I'm not convinced by the works of Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson in the Duneverse.
When Frank Herbert wrote, it read as if he was writing about people smarter than myself for readers smarter than myself.
Brian Herbert and Kevin J. Anderson's works is sort of the saturday morning cartoon version of that.
But despite myself I still have to read it.

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I like Kevin J. Anderson. I am currently reading an X-files novel by him. Ruins so far reads very much just like an X-Files episode, so if you are an X-Phile, its more goodness.

Prior to that I read Only Begotten Daughter by James Morrow. Very colorful story. from wikipedia: "The story is about Julie Katz, the Messiah who is the daughter of God, who is spontaneously conceived from a sperm bank donation through what Morrow terms inverse parthenogenesis. Julie struggles with her messianic powers, the mind games of Satan, being hunted by fundamentalists, and the silence of her mother, God." I have read some of his other books, and loved all of them. plus its cool that he practically lives down the street from me ;)

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
ThrowgnCpr said:
I like Kevin J. Anderson. I am currently reading an X-files novel by him. Ruins so far reads very much just like an X-Files episode, so if you are an X-Phile, its more goodness.

I read that one years ago. Have you read any of the other X-Files novels?

ThrowgnCpr

awol
Staff member
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Frantic Canadian said:
ThrowgnCpr said:
I read that one years ago. Have you read any of the other X-Files novels?

No I haven't. I picked this one up at a thrift shop, and finally got around to reading it. I am really enjoying it. I think I will check out others.

Frantic Canadian

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I think you'll enjoy them. I can't remember how many there are but I've read them all, even the juvenile novels that are basically episode novelizations. The only one I actually own though is Skin by Ben Mezrich. Good reads all of them.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ground Zero which is also by Mr. Anderson is pretty good as well.

Ive been trying to decide for a while now whether to brave Paul of Dune as i heard such bad things about the other Anderson/Herbert collaborations i never read them, apparently this is is supposed to be one of the better if not best efforts so far. let us know what you think kbm as a new (good) Dune book would be heaven.

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
nOmArch said:
Ground Zero which is also by Mr. Anderson is pretty good as well.

Ive been trying to decide for a while now whether to brave Paul of Dune as i heard such bad things about the other Anderson/Herbert collaborations i never read them, apparently this is is supposed to be one of the better if not best efforts so far. let us know what you think kbm as a new (good) Dune book would be heaven.
Dude, gotta be honest, it's a chore to get through.
Sorta the difference between Cameron's TERMINATOR and MQ's TERMINATOR SALVATION.
One is mature sci-fi action film and the other is what hollywood now calls an "Execution Independent" project.
Or in other words, no matter how shitty you make it, people will watch it.
As it stands and i get through the book I have to say skip it.
it muddles the waters rather than expand it.

tranzor

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally stared reading the Da Vinci Code. Only about 130 pages in, but I really like this so far-

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
killbillme said:
Dude, gotta be honest, it's a chore to get through.
Sorta the difference between Cameron's TERMINATOR and MQ's TERMINATOR SALVATION.
One is mature sci-fi action film and the other is what hollywood now calls an "Execution Independent" project.
Or in other words, no matter how shitty you make it, people will watch it.
As it stands and i get through the book I have to say skip it.
it muddles the waters rather than expand it.

bummer :( thats a pretty damning review but if its MQ bad then im definitely gonna stay away from it, one of the things i loved about the original was the complexity and the amazing word and thought play frank came up with, thanks for the heads up, reading a 'saturday morning cartoon' version would be painful.

@Tranzor

enjoy it while it lasts dude, its only amazing the first time around by the second or third read you can remember all the cliffhangers and how they escape and once the excitement has gone you begin to realise that the book isnt really that good anyway. but the first read? fan-fucking-tastic :)

Remixed by Jorge

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished SCARAMOUCHE by Rafael Sabatini. Wow, written in 1921 but feels very modern.
If you like adventure, sword-fighting and romance. this is it. could use a movie re-make.
i wonder who i would cast as the dashing Scaramouche...

Reading now Marching Toward Hell: America and Islam After Iraq by Michael Scheuer.
Scheuer, former CIA analyst and trenchant critic of U.S. terrorism policies (Imperial Hubris) develops his argument that America suffers from a collective insistence on sustaining Cold War paradigms in a fundamentally altered world. For all its culpable errors, the current administration is merely the present-day incorporation of willful historical ignorance, a paucity of common sense, and... a disastrous degree of intellectual hubris.
Not a breeze read. This guy hates everyone in government except Reagan. Will endure till the end.

Aztek463

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
RIght now I'm reading The Dark Knight Returns for one of my classes...I'm going to be starting Pride and Prejudice and Zombies soon.

nOmArch

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just started Pratchetts latest - Unseen Academicals

its about football and im going to relish every single last page as i doubt he'll be writing that many more :(

Ghostcut

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Jesus Hates Zombies on Android Comic Viewer.

Jesus vs. the zombie apocalypse. WIN.

Top Bottom