• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

Editzilla

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently reading Merian C. Cooper's KING KONG and Kong of Skull Island after hearing of the new D+ show.

And also Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology for research for a film idea of mine

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
FYI Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons overlap in time.
Yes, I know that now. I really wish I’d known that before starting A Feast for Crows as I would’ve used this chapter order and read them simultaneously. I’ll definitely do so if I ever re-read.

Edit: I checked out the order you linked which is a bit more straightforward (ie doesn’t bounce around within the respective books). Having not read the books already I’m not sure how much the additional shuffling in the order I linked helps. I’m already to The Reaver chapter in Crows but I’m going to stop there and read Dragons up to where the combined order meets The Reaver chapter in Crows. At least I’ll get the last third in a combined fashion.

Last edited:

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen several different reading orders. I think this one I linked to is the one I used because it keeps a couple of reveals in flashbacks later in the books from being spoiled by a truly chronological reading.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've seen several different reading orders. I think this one I linked to is the one I used because it keeps a couple of reveals in flashbacks later in the books from being spoiled by a truly chronological reading.
The one you linked looks to be chronological (or at least book order). But I could be wrong. The one I linked definitely mixes up the book order.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Incal-moebius-jodorowsky.jpg

At last, I got round to starting and finishing 'The Incal', inspired by the movie announcement last year. I didn't understand a word of it :LOL: but Moebius' artwork is beautiful, the characters are fun and endearing and the concepts and weird future civilisations are fascinating. Also you're left with the feeling that it all made perfect, logical sense to Jodorowsky, if only the reader could ascend to the same spiritual and intellectual plain... or maybe it's just random stuff about naked ladies riding giant mutated mice over garbage wastes, our hero having sex with a sentient pool of slime in order to father a race of 78-billion identical clones and our rag-tag band of adventurers assembling an army of galactic jellyfish, to combat vast black space eggs. Erm, so the Incal is like crystalline space Jesus?

Now to tackle 'Before The Incal' and 'Final Incal'. Maybe it'll make more sense, when I've read all three (or more likely less sense).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finally finished A Feast for Crows in the Song of Ice and Fire. After realizing midway through that the novel mirrored the timeline of A Dance With Dragons, I went back and forth between the two novels using this order. It’s definitely the way to go anyone reading these books. It has left me about 1/8th of the way through the second volume of A Dance with Dragons, aptly subtitled “After the Feast.” I’ll probably finish that up in the next week or so and join the throngs awaiting The Winds of Winter.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I’m currently reading Project Hail Mary by The Martian author Andy Weir. I’m enjoying it, but it made me wonder whether non-Americans would understand the title. In the US the term “hail mary” is a last ditch long pass in American football. The term was coined in the 70s by an American football player. It has come to be used for any last ditch effort in the US. But is that the case elsewhere? American football isn’t hugely popular throughout the rest of the world and I assume most people just think of the Catholic prayer. Can anyone share their thoughts on the phrase? I’m curious because the titular project is a huge multinational project and it seemed an odd name given its very specifically American origins.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Finished Project Hail Mary. Still curious for non-American thoughts on the title. It was definitely a page turner. It’s kind of The Martian meets Bourne Identity meets Contact meets Arrival.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finally finished 'Salem's Lot. I dig the story but I really don't love King's writing.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started Dark Knight Returns yesterday. I've only finished chapter one so far, but already I think this comic is amazing.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started Dark Knight Returns yesterday. I've only finished chapter one so far, but already I think this comic is amazing.
Just finished. Darn this book is so good. That wacky Batman, what a character.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul. I figured it'd be something easy to read, then I instantly remembered what a Douglas Adams book entails. I find myself continuously having to reread pages. Have I mentioned that I'm seriously bad at reading? We'll see if I'm able to finish this.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Started Long Dark Tea-Time Of The Soul. I figured it'd be something easy to read, then I instantly remembered what a Douglas Adams book entails. I find myself continuously having to reread pages. Have I mentioned that I'm seriously bad at reading? We'll see if I'm able to finish this.
Once I really got into it, it wasn't hard to read at all. 2/3 in and I'm loving it.
In my head I envision Dirk as Inspector Clouseau, I'm afraid if I ever watch the show I'll be terribly disappointed.

JosephDQuinn

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just re-read Watchmen again. I've read it maybe 20 times but it never gets old. I love that story so much!

Currently reading Sanford Meisner On Acting. It's all about the Meisner technique of acting. A great read for any aspiring actors!

ScottCrane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished. Darn this book is so good. That wacky Batman, what a character.
At first I didn’t like the style of drawing, but the story and the way it is told is so gripping that after a few pages the drawing-style didn’t bother me anymore. It‘s amazing. A masterpiece.

ScottCrane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Currently reading ‘Into the narrowdark’, Tad Williams’ third entry in his ‘The Last King of Osten Ard’ series. It’s a follow-up to his ‘Memory, Sorrow and Thorne’ quartet, a grandiose fantasy tale that was released in the early nineties, when fantasy was all but dead (both in books and movies).

George R. Martin cited it to be his favourite fantasy series. The follow-up is in my humble opinion even better. If you like fantasy (and especially Tolkien), treat yourself to the writings of Tad Williams. You won’t be disappointed.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two months later...

Incal-moebius-jodorowsky.jpg

At last, I got round to starting and finishing 'The Incal', inspired by the movie announcement last year. I didn't understand a word of it :LOL: but Moebius' artwork is beautiful, the characters are fun and endearing and the concepts and weird future civilisations are fascinating. Also you're left with the feeling that it all made perfect, logical sense to Jodorowsky, if only the reader could ascend to the same spiritual and intellectual plain... or maybe it's just random stuff about naked ladies riding giant mutated mice over garbage wastes, our hero having sex with a sentient pool of slime in order to father a race of 78-billion identical clones and our rag-tag band of adventurers assembling an army of galactic jellyfish, to combat vast black space eggs. Erm, so the Incal is like crystalline space Jesus?

Now to tackle 'Before The Incal' and 'Final Incal'. Maybe it'll make more sense, when I've read all three (or more likely less sense).

...and I've finished reading 'Before The Incal' and 'Final Incal'. I think I'd actually recommend reading BTI first as it doesn't spoil anything much from TI and is a much more focused narrative about John Difool becoming a detective. It's mostly a good old fashioned, linear mystery plot but being Jodorowsky the solution to the case is pretty frickin' weird. By reading it first I think you'd have a better grounding of who John is and what the world is like before TI. Zoran Janjetov does a great job of continuing the essence of Moebius' art style but not slavishly so.

tumblr_puj9xwlZ6X1tjlh2ao3_1280.jpg

Humanoids seem to have printed FI on extra thick paper to give it the impression it's as long as the other two books but it's an action packed conclusion to the saga that is cleverly a simultaneous immediate sequel to both of the other books. It's like Babylon 5 meets the Flash Gordon movie. Ladronn's artwork is gorgeous but I wish it didn't look SO different to the other two books.

Final-Incal-Afther-The-Incal-Diamond-2_big-650x877.jpg

These two other books leave me keen to re-read TI.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today I finished reading Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer. I picked it up as a Nirvana fan after finding out that it was Kurt Cobain's favorite book and the basis for Scentless Apprentice.
The book wasn't exactly what I was expecting going in. I expected it to be more horror, and I didn't expect it to be quite so fantastical. I wasn't unsatisfied though, the story is very fascinating and engrossing. The ending was kinda bonkers and I kinda loved it. It's a disgusting and silly book, and I can honestly understand it being Kurt's favorite.

I needed a new book to read at work, so I grabbed the closest thing I had on hand, the Discworld "Death Trilogy" omnibus, and started reading Mort.
In the past I listened to audiobooks of the first two Discworld books and loved them. I don't know why it's taken me so long to get back into the series. I'm only a few pages in and already digging Mort. The other books in the omnibus are Reaperman and Soul Music, for those wondering.

ScottCrane

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Today I finished reading Perfume: The Story Of A Murderer. I picked it up as a Nirvana fan after finding out that it was Kurt Cobain's favorite book and the basis for Scentless Apprentice.
The book wasn't exactly what I was expecting going in. I expected it to be more horror, and I didn't expect it to be quite so fantastical. I wasn't unsatisfied though, the story is very fascinating and engrossing. The ending was kinda bonkers and I kinda loved it. It's a disgusting and silly book, and I can honestly understand it being Kurt's favorite.
i read it a long time ago because a friend recommended it, but I didn’t quite know what to make of it or think of it. Years later it was turned into a movie, which became one of my favourite movies of all time. It fixes a lot of issues that the book has, so maybe you should check it out.

Top Bottom