• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started reading His Dark Materials to the kids.

HisDarkMaterials1stEdition.jpg

For me, I’m reading Freedom by Jonathan Franzen.

Jonathan-franzen-freedom.jpg

Bishoop

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I only have a plan to start reading the Crucible play ;) I only have a plan to start reading the Crucible play. True, I do not know at all when I will have free time, because I am writing my thesis. I've heard that many of my classmates use https://paperell.com/buy-thesis to finish writing quickly. They decided to buy it because they work and they don't have time. I decided that I would try it myself, but now I don't even have time to read a book(
200px-Cruciblecover.jpg

Racerx1969

Reaction score
Trophy Points
51p0+C-iEoL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Good read thus far. It's long--I'm 17% in and it's just now getting to when he was elected as General of the Continental Army and fast approaching the beginning of the war.

IlFanEditore

Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the last few weeks I finished "Crime and punishment" by Dostoevskij (probably in my all time top-3), then I got to the fourth Sandman volume (up to now it's my favourite by far).
Now I'm finishing the first Wild Cards novel.
71RJ2J+NsAL.jpg

51lOKlC+2lL._SX325_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

51--po7t6fL.jpg

Kylan Bryant

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality (HPMOR) now. Is a Harry Potter fan fiction by Eliezer Yudkowsky.

The Scribbling Man

Tenant of the Tower of Flints
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
In the last few weeks I finished "Crime and punishment" by Dostoevskij (probably in my all time top-3), then I got to the fourth Sandman volume (up to now it's my favourite by far).

Been meaning to read Crime and Punishment for a while. Been planning to read soon-ish with a friend.

IlFanEditore

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Been meaning to read Crime and Punishment for a while. Been planning to read soon-ish with a friend.
Before starting it I was all like: "Ok, I'm sure I'll enjoy this, but it'll sound a bit dated, slow". I was so wrong... I found it not just deeper but more exciting than the majority of today's novels. Just saying...

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Before starting it I was all like: "Ok, I'm sure I'll enjoy this, but it'll sound a bit dated, slow". I was so wrong... I found it not just deeper but more exciting than the majority of today's novels. Just saying...
I’ve read Brothers Karamozov, but not Crime and Punishment. I just read a book that has some parallels to Brothers Karamozov called The Brothers K, which I highly recommend. I’m just finishing up World According to Garp so after those two books I need something a bit lighter. But you inspired me to tackle Crime and Punishment soon.

Last edited:

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points

What translation did you read?

IlFanEditore

Reaction score
Trophy Points
What translation did you read?
Italian.
A curiosity: the title refers to the work of Italian philosopher Cesare Beccaria, whose most famous work was called "Dei delitti e delle pene", translated in English as "On crimes and punishments" (around mid 18th century).

William_King

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Simmons, The Rise of Endymion (4th book in the series). Fiction about the confrontation between people and some kind of evil imprisoned in the tombs of time, which are not subject even to the laws of physics. A group of pilgrims travel to these tombs to get answers to their weighty questions and understand their purpose.

img288_1_21.jpg

Liu Qixin, the three-body problem. This is the first good Chinese science fiction I have come across. The action begins during the Chinese Cultural Revolution and extends to the present day. People manage to establish contact with aliens who want to seize the earth, and a certain group of people side with the aliens ...

Bernard Werber Cassandra's Mirror. French contemporary writer. Writes about our world and society through fantastic and philosophical stories and reflections. This particular book is about a young girl named Cassandra, who sees the future, more precisely tragedies and terrorist attacks, but no one believes her, and if she does, she does not want to change anything. She tries to reach out to people and change the world, along the way revealing the secret of her past, which she does not remember.

https://soclikes.com/ helps to buy Youtube views.
Regards, William King.

Last edited:

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Just finished Crime & Punishment. Obviously very good. I agree with your assessment. It doesn’t feel very dated at all. My only gripe that would knock a half star off for me is the epilogue is totally unnecessary and pretty heavy handed.

The Scribbling Man

Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ I also read Crime and Punishment recently. Agree about the epilogue. Enjoyed it overall, but didn't really like the writing style (giving allowance for translation).

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
^^ I also read Crime and Punishment recently. Agree about the epilogue. Enjoyed it overall, but didn't really like the writing style (giving allowance for translation).
It’s interesting because I was reading it and listening to some on Audible. The two translations were very different, conveying the same ideas but in very different language. I ended up preferring, slightly, the Audible version to the print Penguin Classics version. But I was longing for a hybrid.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crouch-Blake-Dark-Matter-A-Novel.jpg

After Crime and Punishment I went with a page turner. Finished it in two days. If you’re a fan of movies like Primer or Looper, you’ll enjoy this. There isn’t much you don’t see coming, but it’s entertaining as a fluff beach read.

IlFanEditore

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crouch-Blake-Dark-Matter-A-Novel.jpg

After Crime and Punishment I went with a page turner. Finished it in two days. If you’re a fan of movies like Primer or Looper, you’ll enjoy this. There isn’t much you don’t see coming, but it’s entertaining as a fluff beach read.
It's been on my to-read list for a while. Now you got me intrigued.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It's been on my to-read list for a while. Now you got me intrigued.
Don’t get too excited. If you’re a fan of these types of stories there’s not much new here and you’ll see most twists coming. It’s fluff, but it’s quick, fun fluff.

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
91zRf9g9b1L.jpg

I went ahead and read Crouch’s latest Recursion. I liked it more than Dark Matter. The guy is a good storyteller of these multiple timeline thrillers. There’s a lot going on but it’s never hard to follow. His prose is lacking and it reads almost like describing a movie. It’s no wonder that both of these novels are currently in development for TV series.

Top Bottom