• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It'd be nice if Neal Adams realized digital colouring makes his pencils look like shit.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
It’s not digital coloring that’s the problem I don’t think, I think it’s just that he insists on digitally coloring it himself and he’s just not good at it.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
51SzFFdf55L.jpg

I'm four chapters away from the end, not counting the epilogue.

Some of Satchidananda's analyses strike me as iffy, but overall, I've found it an enlightening, engrossing read. I'm almost ready to start identifying as a Christian Hindu omnist now.  ;)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Ransom Riggs)

a083274e006f5ecfef36bf039c3b83ca--miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-miss-peregrines-home-for-peculiar-book.jpg

The first three/four chapters hooked me in, but then ... I dunno. It certainly wasn't a poorly written novel, but it plateaued quickly and failed to retain my interest. Photos were a nice touch, though.

6/10

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Black Hole (Charles Burns)

Blackholecover.jpg

Darkly beautiful surreality in luscious B&W. There are times when I make impulse sight-unseen purchases which I end up regretting; this certainly isn't one of those times. Incredible. Just incredible.

9/10

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Bridge to Terebithia (Katherine Paterson)

854e0de8ca8a1c92950f8f0524cf4fc3.jpg

I first read this book for school when I was in the 6th grade (1998/1999). While I remembered the basic plot and cover art (dunno why the cover artist for this edition depicted the kids as teenagers when they're prepubescents in the story), I'd completely forgotten the title. Fast-forward to recently. I'd known about the movie Bridge to Terebithia for years now, but aside from knowing it was a fantasy film about two young kids, knew nothing about the actual plot. So I finally looked it up. Lo and behold, it's an adaptation of that book I read in the 6th grade! When I stumbled across a copy in a thrift store not long afterward, I didn't hesitate to buy it, keenly interested in knowing how it stood the test of time.

Well, this book got to me. I'm not one who's easily driven to tears, but those last three chapters made me cry. It's a heartbreaking novel, made all the more so by its tender beauty.

I only wish Bridge to Terebithia was a couple chapters longer. It's a bit short-winded — I would've liked to have spent more time with Jess & Leslie before parting ways — and the conclusion just a little too abrupt.

8/10

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
Bridge to Terebithia (Katherine Paterson)

854e0de8ca8a1c92950f8f0524cf4fc3.jpg

I first read this book for school when I was in the 6th grade (1998/1999). While I remembered the basic plot and cover art (dunno why the cover artist for this edition depicted the kids as teenagers when they're prepubescents in the story), I'd completely forgotten the title. Fast-forward to recently. I'd known about the movie Bridge to Terebithia for years now, but aside from knowing it was a fantasy film about two young kids, knew nothing about the actual plot. So I finally looked it up. Lo and behold, it's an adaptation of that book I read in the 6th grade! When I stumbled across a copy in a thrift store not long afterward, I didn't hesitate to buy it, keenly interested in knowing how it stood the test of time.

Well, this book got to me. I'm not one who's easily driven to tears, but those last three chapters made me cry. It's a heartbreaking novel, made all the more so by its tender beauty.

I only wish Bridge to Terebithia was a couple chapters longer. It's a bit short-winded — I would've liked to have spent more time with Jess & Leslie before parting ways — and the conclusion just a little too abrupt.

8/10

This book traumatized an entire generation, myself included.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
The Writings of Jonathan Swift

51VOCyor3UL._SX306_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've long wanted to read Gulliver's Travels, but man, am I having a difficult time getting into it. It's not Swift's writing style per se, but his fondness for capitalizing common nouns which rankles. I suppose that was the style at the time, but I can't for the life of me understand why the publisher chose to retain this archaic convention. I can't immerse myself in the text.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoevsky)

f5ab1435720f0cc3eea1f571a6b726ff.jpg

I've set The Writings of Jonathan Swift aside for the meantime to concentrate on this. I finished Part 1, and I can say it's certainly an absorbing read. I've got less than two weeks left in which to finish it before I have to return it to the library; hopefully I can do it.

Mendy

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I see that now such a genre as a novel. I have read many novels in my life. Now is the time to write mine. I want to name my novel “And I told him yes,” I’ve been writing for a whole year, but honestly, sometimes inspiration leaves me, but I promised myself to finish by the end of the year. In difficult times of crisis best essay writing service helps me. They are professionals in this matter. They also wrote my essay to the university. Wish me good luck. Hope you can read my book soon.

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I started reading the Mortal Kombat novel again. I read it around early middle school age, maybe late elementary school. The trailer for the new animated Mortal Kombat movie reminded me of the novel, so I decided to revisit it. I'm enjoying it thus far, but I'm only a few pages in.

Just to be clear, this is the 1995 novel that came out around the time of the movie, but it is NOT the novelization of the movie.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Ubik (Philip K. Dick)

fd053c1a1144a6a0c9b4aba34c3653b9.jpg

Didn't care much for the first half. A solid chunk of the satire rings true, but Dick's distant future of 1992 is too gaudy to take seriously; it serves only as a noisome distraction, taking me out of the story. But by the halfway point, once we enter into the mindfuckery, the narrative gets engrossing. Overall, it's the second least impressive PKD novel I've read.

6.5/10

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I haven't historically been much of a book reader, but I started getting into ebooks in 2018 and have read quite a bit.

The Avalon: Web of Magic series by Rachel Roberts is good fun, if you like magical girls, and an animated TV series is in development, with the goal supposedly being to adapt all 12 novels.

I've also read the first 4 (of 5) books of The Teen Witch Chronicles by Laura Marie, a fairly typical urban fantasy high school series (in book 4, Emily blatantly acknowledges the plot exists only because she's sticking her nose in other people's business).

I've also read the first 2 Unicorns of Balinor novels by Mary Stanton. It's fairly nice (not much depth to them), and I plan to read all 8 books, even though I know it just stops instead of having a proper ending.

I've also been reading the Avalon series by Marion Zimmer Bradley and Diana Paxson. It started with The Mists of Avalon and was then followed by a bunch of prequels. My goal is to read the entire saga in chronological story order. I started with The Fall of Atlantis, an earlier Bradley novel that Paxson retroactively connected to the Avalon saga (supposedly based on an idea from Bradley). Despite the title, Atlantis doesn't actually fall in the novel. For that, you have to wait for Ancestors of Avalon, the direct sequel. This novel describes the settlement of the Atlantean refugees in Britain and the founding of Avalon (although it's not named as such yet). Then I took a detour to read Bradley's The Firebrand, a novel about the Trojan War from the point of view of Kassandra. I did this, because the next chronological Avalon novel takes place after the Trojan War, and some Trojans are said to have settled in Britain, so I thought Paxson might have referenced the novel. Nope. The only reference is to a scene toward the end of the novel, and that's only because the scene in question is in the original myth. Last year, I finally started reading Sword of Avalon, and I'm still only a little over halfway through it, because holy hell does it drag. It's technically about the forging of Excalibur, but large portions of the novel are spent away from Avalon (and the women), especially with a forced detour to ancient Greece to pick up the smith that's gonna forge the sword (although it was satisfying to see the victors of the Trojan War get their asses kicked). So that's where I'm at right now.

lamath

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Recently finished reading.

The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo: It was alright, not mind-blowing, but it did make me wanna clean up my closets a bit and I have now trash bags full of clothes to give away. However, a lot of things in her book I won't bother to do nor apply because it doesn't fit me and who I am, and also a lot of things she relates were a bit cringey and questionable, but I could also feel how heartfelt she was about her beliefs. 6/10

Bleu Puzzle by Nathalie Dau: a tiny novel of a hundred pages that was extra-fantasist in a good way, even though the writing felt a bit over-the-top for nothing at times. Still an overall pleasant ride though. 6/10

The Woman with the Colt 45 by Marie Redonnet: Another tiny novel of a hundred pages that turned out to be a fresh surprise, the writing style was definitely peculiar yet good and entertaining, following the story of coming of age and independence of a middle-age women during wartime, and I really enjoyed it lots. 7/10

Books have allowed me to expand my mind and learn how to write. However, now I need to write apa paper, with which I have some difficulties. Even my scientific supervisor can't help me. I never cooperated with him in my scientific work on apa paper. I prefer the apa paper writing service PapersOwl, which has long been helping me to solve the problems of writing certain writing assignments and scientific reviews, articles, essays, and more. I recommend that you pay attention to it and compare it to what you use.

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
lamath said:
The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up by Marie Kondo: It was alright, not mind-blowing, but it did make me wanna clean up my closets a bit and I have now trash bags full of clothes to give away. However, a lot of things in her book I won't bother to do nor apply because it doesn't fit me and who I am, and also a lot of things she relates were a bit cringey and questionable, but I could also feel how heartfelt she was about her beliefs. 6/10

Yep, I read this (got it cheap) after watching her Netflix series. While I'm not gonna follow her advice, her enthusiasm is apparent. I actually highlghted the novel (digitally) a lot, not the useful advice but the rather off-the-wall comments.

asterixsmeagol

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I just finished the prequel book for Star Trek Picard. It was really good and I would recommend it to any Star Trek fan. Like all the best sci-fi, it's a compelling story with lots of social commentary.
71cp8u4U8XL.jpg

Mark Moore

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Two days ago, I finally finished Sword of Avalon and started on Ravens of Avalon, which skips ahead around 1,200 years. This one is based on an actual historical person (Boudica) and events (the Roman conquest of Britain), whereas the previous books were more mythological and took place in largely unknown times, so this should be interesting. I'm also finding, despite it not being too much shorter than Sword, I'm making faster progress on Ravens (it takes far less time to reach my daily reading goal of 1%).

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Stargate: Rebellion (Bill McCay)

latest

As a tie-in novel, and a tie-in novel to a movie as flawed as Stargate, no less, Rebellion certainly isn't a masterpiece. Character development for the returning characters from the film is nonexistent; the terrestrial villains are all one-dimensional and interchangeable; and continuity with the movie is sloppy (Having read the film novelization, I can tell McCay had, too, but hadn't watched the film itself prior to writing this book.). On the plus side, Hathor is a decent villainess (a little shortsighted, perhaps, but still far more effective and intimidating than her SG-1 counterpart); the insight into the inner workings of Ra's empire was refreshing; and I much prefer McCay's cynical depiction of the US military to the naive depiction of SG-1 & its spinoffs. I highly recommend it to fans of the movie who don't care for SG-1/are interested in a more film-faithful continuation.

7/10

Top Bottom