• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
81StsboFpdL.jpg

I put this off far too long.  Excellent stuff.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I was mildly surprised at how good Seed of Destruction was, considering Byrne scripted it. The immediate follow-up isn't as phenomenal, but the title gets progressively better and better as it progresses.

Rogue-theX

Faneditor
Cover Artist
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Tarzan 1929 comic strip dailies illustrated by Hal Foster and Rex Maxon based on 4 tarzan adventures by Burroughs:
TarzanEssentials-PR-66b30.jpg

Very much enjoying the first tale, Tarzan of the Apes. I have the novel but my copy is too ragged for reading (tiny text too), so this is my first exposure to these tales not counting the movies which are from what I gather all over the place in terms of faithfulness. Fosters art is incredibly beautiful:
Tarzan_v7-pr_5.jpg

(Look at the moustaches in the 2nd panel, the 3rd panel is basically unobtanium its so good! Its like 1800s newspaper illustrations or something, with croquill and brush, those people were amazing at inking, anyone know what brew of inking that is? let me know)
Really digging the tale so far.

I got it on sale. 9 bucks!

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
37641612.jpg
37803794.jpg
40949611._SY475_.jpg
41560820._SY475_.jpg
46036912._SY475_.jpg
46360509._SY475_.jpg

Piskor's art's interesting, if something of a mixed bag for me, and I suppose as a condensation/streamlining of four decades of X-Men storylines, it does its job well. Thing is, even condensed/streamlined, I consider the post-Byrne/Cockrum X-Men unenjoyable garbage, so Grand Design did nothing for me.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Book0025_d4184e54-cb2a-45c7-be79-469594e41def.jpg

About halfway through. I like it.

s-l1000.jpg

All the artists here, Jurgens, Bogdanove, et. al. are great, but could no one at DC think of anything more interesting than Doomsday to be the thing to kill Superman? Come to think of it, maybe it was a joke. Maybe they were saying Superman didn’t have a mean bone in his body, and he and Mean Bone Man just cancel each other out.

Siliconmaster

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
the-expanse-novel-series-6f7aea10-04a6-4fe9-959a-70379cff27c-resize-750.jpeg

I've started my reread of The Expanse as a leadup to the new season on Amazon. So far I've gotten through Leviathan Wakes and Caliban's War, but I'll probably keep going after a short break. I highly recommend this book series. It's easily the best science fiction I've read in a long while, and there are already 8 books, with a final 9th planned for next year sometime.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
51e045056895ad68b8ad6d950aa1ecec.jpg

The writing is ... odd, but at least it's not full of whores, ethnic/feminist/religious caricatures, and the other offensive junk Miller's become infamous for in recent decades, which is nice. Hopefully the following issues will follow suit and keep out of the cesspool.

I really don't know why JRjr has drawn half the characters as bobbleheads, though. I know his art's always been an acquired taste, but I like most of his '90s output; the stuff in this issue looks really sloppy by comparison.

suspiciouscoffee

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Isn’t there a scene where
A group attempts to rape Lana Lang?

I was interested in the book because I’ve definitely acquired the JRjr taste (I kinda hated his stuff for years until one day something clicked in my head and I loved it), but Miller made me cautious, and when I heard about that scene (and a couple other things) I wasn’t interested at all anymore.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
suspiciouscoffee said:
Isn’t there a scene where
A group attempts to rape Lana Lang?

I was interested in the book because I’ve definitely acquired the JRjr taste (I kinda hated his stuff for years until one day something clicked in my head and I loved it), but Miller made me cautious, and when I heard about that scene (and a couple other things) I wasn’t interested at all anymore.

Yeah, that happens. Thankfully, they're stopped before things go too far, so it isn't too questionable a scene for me.

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
9780805204186-uk.jpg

Haven't read too far into it, but Kafka's got an interesting style of writing. So far, so good.

I'm now halfway through this book. I wasn't sure if Kafka was my cup of tea or not, but "A Dream" dispelled all doubt. I love you, Franz.

TM2YC

Take Me To Your Cinema
Staff member
Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I got a quarter way through 'Dune' in my teens but with the forthcoming film I thought I'd give it another go. The dog-eared old yellowing 1981 paperback has some noticeable misspellings including "Arrauis" instead of "Arrakis" in the very first line on page 1 and "Swisatz Haderach" on page 16 :D . I do like the coverart:

Frank-Herberts-Dune-early-paperback_1.jpg

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
53325._UY400_SS400_.jpg

s-l640.jpg

9781473660564.jpg

I am pretty much a looney toon when it comes to Ancient Astronauts, Bigfoot, UFOs, Forbidden Archeology, conspiracies....I blame Leonard Nimoy and In Search Of... lol

So I have pretty much read all of Graham Hancock's books.... I read them more fun than fact...lol.

What I love about them is Hancock does ask good questions and brings to light a lot of newer discoveries that are published in scientific journals but not common knowledge in the mainstream media.  But I do have trouble with most of Hancock's final conclusions.  He really jumps the shark in order promote his theories.  Often using decoder ring logic when interpreting ancient imagery.   Often when he does not have specific evidence to support his case, he will prattle on with sentences starting with the words "Maybe"  or "Perhaps" and tie it all up in neat bow with some obscure myth.  It does not help matters it seems with each new book he seems to hitch his theories to whatever the latest controversial discovery and changes the location of his super mother civilization accordingly, even if it completely contradicts or negates his arguments from one of his previous books.

These are fascinating books to read for the simple fact they make you question what so many simply assume is fact, when there is enough evidence to argue the contrary.   Is human civilization older than most scholars preach?  Very possible.   Was there one master ancient lost civilization that all of mankind is descended from?  I dunno.  But it does ignites the imagination.  What if.....

But until we know, I will keep re-watching classic BSG and reading Robert E. Howard's Hyborian Age.   :)

Duragizer

Reaction score
Trophy Points
6252-2045-6826-1-fantastic-four.jpg

A supervillain who unironically calls himself the Hate-Monger. And wears a purple clansman outfit. And is Hitler.

It's just too much. I can't take this character seriously at all. He's belongs in Howard the Duck, not Fantastic Four.

bionicbob

Donor
Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Duragizer said:
6252-2045-6826-1-fantastic-four.jpg

A supervillain who unironically calls himself the Hate-Monger. And wears a purple clansman outfit. And is Hitler.

It's just too much. I can't take this character seriously at all. He's belongs in Howard the Duck, not Fantastic Four.

For 1963, it was still pretty bold stuff.  Maybe a bit wonky, but it was nice to see Marvel tackling or referencing some real social issues.  I don't remember his name, but I remember not liking the Inker on this issue, it really did not compliment Kirby's art.

On a bizarre side note, there was still some question if Hitler actually died at the end of WWII (he was known for using body doubles) and in '63 there was still an open investigation file with the FBI.  In fact, Hitler's death was only confirmed through DNA in the last few years. ;)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently reading Pattern Recognition by William Gibson, and I love it so far.

Flounder

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've currently been reading "Contemporary Film Directors: Lana and Lilly Wachowski - Sensing Transgender" by Cáel M. Keegan. It's excellent so far.

Junglist Paja

Reaction score
Trophy Points
I've just finished reading Scott Pilgrim Vol. 1 - 6, fantastic series! (Original Black & White)

Jrzag42

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
I'm currently reading Pattern Recognition by William Gibson. I love it so far, I'm only halfway through.
The way it's written, at first I found it hard to read, but it has a certain style to it that I can't describe, and it's really compelling. The aspect of going online and constantly checking a forum reminds me of myself and my constant presence online. There's so many small details that make it all feel real.
I haven't read any of his sci-fi novels yet, but this is just making me want to read more of his contemporary set stories, the pseudo sequels to this one.

Top Bottom