• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What is everybody reading?

suspiciouscoffee said:
Great Gil Kane covers, though.  He do interior art on those too or just covers?

He worked on the interiors also. Have to admit, though, that I would've preferred Ed Hannigan on pencils. He did design the new Brainiac, after all.

4786e6e7db611a07e742482d1ed2dd29--clark-kent-comic-covers.jpg

Duragizer said:

Great Krypton!  This brings back a flood of memories!!!

I was 13 when this amazing cover practically jumped out of the drug store magazine spinner into my eager hands.

It was pretty mind blowing comic reading for me, the most revolutionary change to the Superman mythos in ages.  Brainiac was of course the biggest change and it is still to this day my favourite incarnation of the character.  The Luthor update with the Power Suit, while it it not a significant change to his actual status quo,  the Shakespearean tragedy that befalls Luthor made for powerful reading at the time.

Interesting how these changes only lasted a couple years before being undone by the DC mega crossover CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS but were so impactful many current writers keep finding ways to work these designs back into the comics.

BLACK HAMMER by Jeff Lemire

In the tradition of ASTRO CITY, comes another series that explores and deconstructs common super hero archetypes and tropes.  Unlike Astro City which has an all ages appeal, Black Hammer is a very R rated series (adult situations, themes, language, sex) which is rich in depth and heartbreak.

Basically Captain America, Mary Marvel, Martian Manhunter, Thor, Madame Xanadu and Adam Strange become trapped for 10 years after saving the world from Crisis in a mysterious rural farm town where no one has heard of super heroes.  While the whole premise is reliant on the reader being familiar with the comic book lore these amalgam heroes are based on, Lemire brings them to believable life with strong character arcs and a tantalizing ongoing mystery.

If you are superhero comic book lover but have become tired of event driven, reboot/relaunch, syndrome that seems to drive Marvel and DC these days, then you may want to give these a try.

91CQQ3b7V-L.jpg

51isOAV4yBL.jpg

51fsPSs11TL._SX323_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

I've been meaning to get to that forever.  I've read some of Lemire's DC work such as his recent book The Terrifics and I'm curious to see how his creator-owned stuff is with his own world-building.  That and his other book Descender.

I forgot to mention, I finished The Drawing of the Three finally, and I'm a hundred or so pages into the third Dark Tower book now, The Wastelands.

jrWHAG42 said:
I forgot to mention, I finished The Drawing of the Three finally, and I'm a hundred or so pages into the third Dark Tower book now, The Wastelands.

Oh damn, Wastelands is fantastic. Enjoy!

Just finished:

220px-Hyperion_cover.jpg

Just started:

6759.jpg

I’ve read a lot of Infinite Jest in the past, but I got tired of lugging the book around with me. I bought a Kindle version this time.

^^^ @"Moe_Syzlak", what did you think of Hyperion?

The Scribbling Man said:
^^^ @"Moe_Syzlak", what did you think of Hyperion?

Was not a fan. I started, stopped and restarted several times, though, so I feel perhaps I missed some crucial elements. It didn’t work for me as a cohesive whole.

I quite liked it, but it was a mixed bag. I read it right off the back of Canterbury Tales, which it pays homage to on many levels, so I enjoyed the parallels.

There's a lot about it that's interesting, but I'm not sure it really delivers. It builds to a climax and then robs you of the conclusion. 

The sequel, Fall of Hyperion, is just bizarre and frustrating.

The Scribbling Man said:
I quite liked it, but it was a mixed bag. I read it right off the back of Canterbury Tales, which it pays homage to on many levels, so I enjoyed the parallels.

There's a lot about it that's interesting, but I'm not sure it really delivers. It builds to a climax and then robs you of the conclusion. 

The sequel, Fall of Hyperion, is just bizarre and frustrating.

Yeah, I’m not invested enough to give the sequel a chance.

jrWHAG42 said:

Ooh, Waste Lands is my favorite! Hope you're liking it.

I'm about 100 pages into God Emperor of Dune. Enjoying it a lot (I also really liked Children of Dune by the end, but all the overlapping plots and scheme's that are never really well explained in the first half-ish of the book threw me off quite a bit).

I'm loving The Wastelands so far. I'm almost halfway through I think.

ICO002094_1._SX312_QL80_TTD_.jpg
61YjCnfBlML.jpg
a0366a902005eec601fedff0c0de8a39--teen-titans-book-covers.jpg
3fbe3da789ef2fcb2f0c77a7d40a8fad.jpg
89daa69528f5032924d5758996619310.jpg

I couldn't ask for a better conclusion to the epic tale begun by Wolfman & Perez in DC Comics Presents #26, and don't believe one will be forthcoming if I choose to continue reading past this point, so I'll let my time with the New Teen Titans draw to a close here, on an imperfect but quite satisfying note.

Duragizer said:
I couldn't ask for a better conclusion to the epic tale begun by Wolfman & Perez in DC Comics Presents #26, and don't believe one will be forthcoming if I choose to continue reading past this point, so I'll let my time with the New Teen Titans draw to a close here, on an imperfect but quite satisfying note.

Yep.  Stop there.  Wolfman & Perez's run on The New Teen Titans is sheer brilliance.  I put it my my Top Five Best Comic runs of all time.
While Wolfman continued to write Titans after Perez's departure, the series never had the same magic and became very stagnant.

DC's HEROES IN CRISIS

250px-HeroesInCrisis1.jpg

Hated it.  :mad:

The last DC project this poorly misconceived and made me this angry might have been IDENTITY CRISIS... 
The story fails on almost every level. 
If you are a Wally West fan, do not read this mini-series, it will break your heart at DC's complete disrespect for the character.
It's EMERALD TWILIGHT all over again... sigh....

Stories like that are why I stopped reading modern mainstream superhero comics. DC & Marvel have both devolved into ouroboroses with diarrhea.

Ragnarok09_cvr-675x1024.jpg

Ragnarök by Walter Simonson, with Laura Martin and John Workman (#1-12)

It’s a Thor comic, but less Marvel superhero and more zombie samurai.  It’s rad as Hel and I love it.

Back
Top Bottom