• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

Read BEFORE posting Trades & Request

What is everybody reading?

I'm going to have to check that out, it's a pretty cool idea.

So if you're looking for other worlds of that type, have you heard of/read The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant, the Unbeliever by Stephen R. Donaldson?

For me that was the most engrossing and complete fantasy world created out side of LoTR, and unlike many fantasy worlds, it is largely not built on a middle-Earth type model with standard trolls, elves, dwarfs etc.. Outside of a giant, Donaldson mostly creates original species and a unique mythology.

More than that, the hero, as the title implies, is beyond reluctant, which is very unique in these kinds of novels (though I'm by no means an expert in the genre). I've never read a book where I at times, hated the protagonist as much as I did Covenant, yet at the same time could not put the book down because all the characters around him had such life breathed into them.

Sadly, the only thing I'm reading right now is "Who Built America? Volume II 1877 to the Present"

After months of non-stop great reads, I bought some really promising books, that turned out to be awful.

51NqbLRluSL.jpg

Looked interesting, but it is awful. I couldn't get to far. The author wanted to explain, explain, explain, and get as technical as possible, and it ended up turning the book into stereo instructions. It dragged on, until I just slapped the book shut and quit altogether.

I need to quit judging books by their covers, and just look on amazon for promising titles.

I'm reading Red (Just finished Black) by Ted Dekker. After that I'll finish the rest of the series.

Still waiting for George R.R. Martin to finish A Dance with Dragons.

Just finished SULDRUN'S GARDEN by Jack Vance.
I've know of Vance for years and never got around to him. Don't know why. i guess I wanted to really get into him and the time never seemed right. I was particularly interested also in BIG PLANET.
So anyways, finally got the audiobook of LYONNESSE:Book 1 "Sundrun's Garden"
WOW! what a book. Vance takes his time setting everything up just so; but when the match touches the the tinder this book just starts roaring. An amazingly detailed and dramatic plot with dizzying twists and turns. Some of the most richly detailed characters I've ever encountered; believeable yet surprising. Written with a very sure, controlled (even dry) prose.

This is definitely a work for grown-ups: very mature, hard-edged at times. Yet light and funny at other times; and warm. This author really knows what he's doing. Rewarding.

The best parts were when the writing took it's own path, when the expected narratives that we are so used to through films and tv are not followed and suddenly you find yourself wondering were this story is going and then suddenly it all comes together and you are as surprised as the protagonists. bravo.

Note again that this is not a book for kids. Vance's Lyonesse is a tough, dangerous world: ogres raping women, killing & eating children, fathers imprisoning daughters for disobedience, prisoners of war enslaved, and so forth. Very tough-minded. But definately worth it.

If you loved LOTR or A song of ice and fire, you will love this. :)

Grimescribe by Thomas Ligotti

Short horror stories from a relative unknown,
He's very good at setting atmosphere and most stories i enjoy.

But some i get through and dont really grasp the point ... like maybe something subtle i read through too quickly and missed. Almost like poetry sometimes i just dont get it.

The first story i really liked

I am the furthest thing from well read, but grabbed a ton of books at a thrift store over vacation. been reading Michael Crichton's "Travels" and so far its quite good. Its a collection of short stories written about his personal experiences and its great on "slack-ass" readers like myself.

I'm currently reading "Frayed" by a new author named Anthony Harrington. I stopped reading Stephen King's "Under the Dome" because it started to bore me. No reason this book needed to be 1000+ pages. However, I am listening to it on audiobook now either before bed or in the car.

I'm about halfway through In the Courts of the Crimson Kings by S.M. Stirling. :)

I just started "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" by Steig Larsson.

Just finished Star Wars Darth Bane: dynasty of evil, not bad, but it and the second book of the series never did top the first one.
Now i'm onto Fate of the Jedi book 6: Vortex.

100 odd pages into The World According to Garp.

After many years of loving the movie I thought I'd better give the book a go.

After devouring the whole translated Geralt of Rivia saga (just take a look at my avatar :p); I am currently in the middle of the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons, and it's great far future Sci-Fi with a little touch of supernatural mixed in with great characters.

havok1977 said:
After devouring the whole translated Geralt of Rivia saga (just take a look at my avatar :p); I am currently in the middle of the Hyperion Cantos by Dan Simmons, and it's great far future Sci-Fi with a little touch of supernatural mixed in with great characters.

How are the Geralt books? I loved The Witcher game, and have been interested in reading the novels, I just haven't picked them up yet.

I love Simmon's Hyperion series. Simply amazing story that is really quite awe-inspiring. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's amazing it doesn't fall apart at the end, what with how complex it becomes. But somehow he manages to tie it all up nicely.

I just started the second novel in Patrick Rothfuss's "The Name of the Wind" series. The new book took three years to come out, but so far I'm enthralled. It's called "The Wise Man's Fear". If you get a chance you should check it out.

thunderclap said:
How are the Geralt books? I loved The Witcher game, and have been interested in reading the novels, I just haven't picked them up yet.

I love Simmon's Hyperion series. Simply amazing story that is really quite awe-inspiring. I don't think you'll be disappointed. It's amazing it doesn't fall apart at the end, what with how complex it becomes. But somehow he manages to tie it all up nicely.

I just started the second novel in Patrick Rothfuss's "The Name of the Wind" series. The new book took three years to come out, but so far I'm enthralled. It's called "The Wise Man's Fear". If you get a chance you should check it out.

The Geralt saga is plain awesome, highly recommendable fantasy literature; if you like Tolkien's work but sprinkled with lots of attitude, foul language and a healthy dose of sexuality then it is for you; just be aware that the game takes a few minor liberties with what happened before and is considered fan-fiction by the creator.

If you are able to read any other language than English I suggest you find the corresponding translations, because for the UK/US releases they skipped a *whole book* of short stories named 'The Sword of Destiny', which goes second in the reading order is great and introduces a MAJOR character for the following - and yet unpublished in English - 5 novels.

And yeah, I'm loving the Hyperion Cantos so much that after finishing the first volume I rushed to the book store to get the second one :D

Oh and your recommendation sounds very interesting, I'll add it to the huge to-read list.

I guess I'll have to wait on the Geralt books as Ian fluent in only one language: English. :( Stupid American education system...

I'm not much of a book reader. It takes me too long to finish them. I'm more into Archie Comics.

That said, I'm reading "Daughters of the Moon" by Joseph Curtin, a vampire novel that I bought around 2000 but which got lost in the house until sometime last year.

So I decided that before continuing the second half of the Hyperion saga - which takes place many years after the two first novels i might stir things up a bit, so I moved on to The Book of the New Sun by Gene Wolfe.

Very strong and fascinating stuff, and with a certain very cringe worthy chapter near the end of the first volume but I wont spoil anything here. Overall, I would recommend it.

Rereading the Dune series for the umpteenth time.

Still bloody good though.

Just ordered the complete Riftwar Cycle from Amazon second hand for £40

£30 of that was postal charges :shock:

EDIT: Currently reading The Psychopath Test by Jon Ronson

Back
Top Bottom