• Most new users don't bother reading our rules. Here's the one that is ignored almost immediately upon signup: DO NOT ASK FOR FANEDIT LINKS PUBLICLY. First, read the FAQ. Seriously. What you want is there. You can also send a message to the editor. If that doesn't work THEN post in the Trade & Request forum. Anywhere else and it will be deleted and an infraction will be issued.
  • If this is your first time here please read our FAQ and Rules pages. They have some useful information that will get us all off on the right foot, especially our Own the Source rule. If you do not understand any of these rules send a private message to one of our staff for further details.
  • Please read our Rules & Guidelines

What is everybody reading?

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
Reading Neuromancer - loving it so far. I can’t believe this isn’t a movie ?
I liked Neuromancer but didn’t love it as much as many do. I think I admired it for its obvious influence on so much media that followed. As far as a movie goes, there’s been several attempts to adapt it. The most recent is an Apple TV+ series with the rumored involvement of Miles Teller in the lead and JJ Abrams producing. Those rumors were around about a year ago but I haven’t heard anything about it since.

Slade Harrison

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i’m currently reading the art of Alex Ross, DC Mythology. It’s a great coffee table book for fans of the comic book genre.

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I dont really read fiction anymore (except comic books from time to time), and prefer some biographies of interesting people, now I am half way through this:

feedbackeverybodylovesourtown_thumb.jpg

Nice read, especially for fans of Seattle music (which I am obviously).

ratchet1978

Reaction score
Trophy Points
i bought a biography at the library for a buck of Brian Jones i have no interest in reading that one just yet

Moe_Syzlak

Reaction score
Trophy Points
As I dont really read fiction anymore (except comic books from time to time),
May I ask why you don’t read fiction? I love nonfiction and it’s probably a quarter of my reading (but I don’t post about it here). But by the “anymore” it seems you used to be into fiction but now aren’t?

Gieferg

Faneditor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
Yeah, I;ve been reading A LOT back in the day, mostly before internet era. Until I've read "Witcher" books by Sapkowski and anything else (and especially any fantasy book) just wasnt "it" after that.
Now I have so much other activities that there isn't much time for reading anyway, so when I need to choose, it is usually non-fiction.
But I guess it's time to re-read Sapkowski again :p

ratchet1978

Reaction score
Trophy Points
before internet era i was around back than it's been quite a long time since that was around and getting even longer as time goes on. i love non fiction as well but fiction is my favorite i love horror and mystery the most but i love suspense as well the genre's really vary though but i don't normally read the games of thrones books though for example they aren't my type of books

mnkykungfu

Donor
Reaction score
Trophy Points
samuraiOfHyuga480.png

Samurai of Hyuga (Book 1 - 2015)

I don't read as many novels these days as I used to, but one thing I've gotten back into is those old "Choose Your Own Adventure" style books. I often find myself with a bit of time to kill but I haven't brought a book with me. Well, a lot of these kind of books are available to download to your phone, where they're written on software that makes them read seamlessly from whatever choices you make. While I do miss the old fingers/pencils cheat of holding open various "tabs" to make sure you were happy with your choice, it's probably better to read through your adventure honestly. :sneaky:

I just finished this book and it's one of the best of these I've read, though admittedly it's right up my alley. It takes place in a fictionalized version of classic Japan, something like around the Heian period. Enough civilization to work off of the common tropes in Japanese media, but enough wildness to allow for insertion of "ancient Fantasy" elements. Your protagonist is a ronin, and you get to decide early on if he/she is kind of a tragic disgraced samurai, or a wild, untrained pretender, a sarcastic, pervy scrapper, or a dramatic, noble hero. I chose to play mine as something like classic Wolverine, the one modeled like a cross between Eastwood's Man With No Name and Bronson in Deathwish. A weakness of these kind of games is that sometimes the choices just don't really have enough options to truly give you much control, but a strength of this one is that I was able to pretty much choose for the protagonist to stay in that character all the way through. In fact, your choices are tracked and you actually benefit from being sort of "true to your nature".

For those who know a bit about Japan and/or understand Japanese words, there are a lot of real terms and real culture in the story, and I appreciated the attention to detail. It's also a read which doesn't rely on the gamified aspect to hold someone's interest: it legitimately has nice prose and well-crafted characters. The overall plot has legs, too. You're essentially a down-on-his-luck bodyguard who managed to snag a gig transporting this young noblewoman to the capital. You get no money in advance, but she comes from a rich family, so you take the job. However, during this, you're scouted by another, more powerful client and, long story short, the noblewoman decides to put her burgeoning magical gifts to this service, so you're along for it, too. You need to assassinate these 6 prophesied targets in order to save the kingdom of Hyuga, and they're most probably all demons. This first book ends with the first target, and I see that the series has been popular enough that the author comes out with a new one every year or two.

It's basically a rollicking good time if you're a fan of those old chanbara, or exploitation films in general. I feel like there's a fair bit of re-readability, too, though I'd like to read through the whole series first with the same protagonist. If anyone is open to this little niche world between books and games, I think this is a great title to start with.

Top Bottom